Discussion Soccer/Association Football New Kits

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
lacoste-autumn-red-navy-blue-stripe-jersey-cotton-vneck-sweater-product-3-14101191-332343884_large_flex.jpeg

grandscheme_rugby_ls_shirt_bluered_11.jpg

The hoops could work in blue and red, but Nike just dropped the ball by adding the sidepanels, collar tape, and removing the top few hoops... Too much modification that it loses its flair. Before they announced the hoop jersey, I was going to mock one up and just never could be bothered, but what I did have wasn't as bad as what Nike released.

The problem with the Barca hoops kit isn't the fact that they're hoops, it's the fact that Nike butchered a design that they're pretty good with normally. Worst hoops kit I've seen in a long time.
Disagree. The hoops are poorly executed, you are spot on there.
But it has to revolve around a vertical stripe, they have been nikes guinea pig on a couple designs over the last few years but even then all have been vertical, can't imagine teams like Juve without a variation of vertical stripes.

Disagree. The hoops are poorly executed, you are spot on there.
But it has to revolve around a vertical stripe, they have been nikes guinea pig on a couple designs over the last few years but even then all have been vertical, can't imagine teams like Juve without a variation of vertical stripes.
They don't HAVE to have vertical stripes:

540239_400_a.jpg

barcelona-football-club-jersey-hd-cool-7.jpg

They're still all a variation of vertical though
But hoops are just a rotated variant of stripes, my point was that there can be a lot of leeway. Stripes to hoops or vice-versa wouldn't be the most drastic design change the world has seen, even in relatively the relatively vanilla world of football designs.

But hoops are just a rotated variant of stripes, my point was that there can be a lot of leeway. Stripes to hoops or vice-versa wouldn't be the most drastic design change the world has seen, even in relatively the relatively vanilla world of football designs.
When it's a constant element for over a hundred years, then yeah, it's not really acceptable as leeway. The change is as big as Collingwood changing their home to hoops would be.

I don't see a big issue with the hoops as a variant. They've had halves recently, which is no more stripes than hoops are.

Disagree, changing a design style after 115 years is a massive change and is almost like throwing the clubs history out the door. As one story about the kit put it "there is a fine line of trying to be innovative and completely ruining tradition and the values that come with it."

Barcelona is vertical designs, be it stripes or halves (which is still technically stripes), and has been for all that time, changing now is a disgrace and both Nike and those at the club who approved it will be hated by many Barca fans for a long time.

I don't see a big issue with the hoops as a variant. They've had halves recently, which is no more stripes than hoops are.

Barca's original kit was halves so it kept with the clubs history.

fcbarcelona-kit.jpg

I think the idea that "vertical designs" for Barca are as sacred as Collingwood's stripes is a bit over the top.

Halves are a distinctly different design to stripes. Hoops are more reminiscent of stripes than halves are.

I think the idea that "vertical designs" for Barca are as sacred as Collingwood's stripes is a bit over the top.

Halves are a distinctly different design to stripes. Hoops are more reminiscent of stripes than halves are.
Perhaps I turned it up a bit. Disagree about the second part of your post though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Were Heart in financial turmoil or something? Or was the takeover by City Group a thing of their own accord?
The club was running on the smell of an oily rag, really, it's astounding they were as competitive as they were given how much lower the football department budget was than other clubs.

The City Football Group wanted a presence in the A-League, but Sydney FC, their preferred choice, indicated they weren't for sale, so Hearts management took the opportunity to sell the club. They have an elite training center and the opportunity to have training camps overseas so far, so it's definitely a worthwhile exercise.

Please feel free to tell me which would not make sense being worn by FCB. All these designs are from the FIFA Creation Centre, but I can't really see any that would be out of place as Barcelona kits (apart from a few which are probably a bit poorly executed due to the limits of the engine)

fcb.jpg

Second row: fifth along
Third row: first, third, and seventh along
Fourth row: third along

Pretty much any 'home' design with a horizontal design feature

Second row: fifth along
Third row: first, third, and seventh along
Fourth row: third along

Pretty much any 'home' design with a horizontal design feature
So you can't recognise, by the colours and the badge and the sponsor, that they are Barcelona jerseys? In a match against a side like, Real Madrid or Villareal, you would not recognise that it was Barcelona playing in the "blaugrana"?

This argument about the rotation of bands on the jersey is like saying:

Argentina50.jpg

Oh that can't be Argentina's rugby team, the stripes are a few degrees off of the horizontal...

So you can't recognise, by the colours and the badge and the sponsor, that they are Barcelona jerseys? In a match against a side like, Real Madrid or Villareal, you would not recognise that it was Barcelona playing in the "blaugrana"?

Just because the colours are the same doesn't mean it retains all the clubs identity and branding. Imagine if Collingwood moved to white and black hoops. They'd look more Geelong than Collingwood.

That being said, Barca's gradient style home jumper in 2012-13 is just as much a move away from tradition as the hoops.

Why are you so vehemently supporting what is clearly a marketing move only done to sell jerseys to the millions who'll buy one every year?

Would you like it if the Rabbitohs decided to switch to stripes next year?

Please feel free to tell me which would not make sense being worn by FCB. All these designs are from the FIFA Creation Centre, but I can't really see any that would be out of place as Barcelona kits (apart from a few which are probably a bit poorly executed due to the limits of the engine)

View attachment 133041

Row 2 jerseys 3 and 5
Row 3 jerseys 1, 3 and 7
Row 4 jersey 3

Away kits can be horizontal or vertical as there is no long standing heritage associated with the design within the clubs kit history.

Yes you can recognise the kits but that isn't the point. You don't change 115 years of history.

Just because the colours are the same doesn't mean it retains all the clubs identity and branding. Imagine if Collingwood moved to white and black hoops. They'd look more Geelong than Collingwood.

That being said, Barca's gradient style home jumper in 2012-13 is just as much a move away from tradition as the hoops.

The gradient was a step away, but visually it was still a vertical stripe design especially when viewed from a distance.

The club's nickname of "blaugrana" refers to blue and (deep) red. They have worn halves, gradients and stripes, and hoops is a logical departure from stock-standard stripes. It may not have been worn previously, but that doesn't mean they can't/shouldn't experiment. If the jersey was like the WSW or Celtic Nike jerseys I'd be quite inclined to purchase one. The execution makes the experiment a LOT less successful than it could have been.
100_0911.jpg

Even Adidas could do red and blue hoops right, and that was in 1996, right in the middle of "paint splotch and why-the-f***-not" designs on away kits.

Why are you so vehemently supporting what is clearly a marketing move only done to sell jerseys to the millions who'll buy one every year?

Would you like it if the Rabbitohs decided to switch to stripes next year?
During the 80's they wore the Minties strip, during the 60's they wore a yoke and during WWII they wore a red V on green. We have experimented and settled on our current strip. With super-thin pinstripes and other experiments in recent years I have no problem with a football team making a hoops jersey after their stripes. And football clearly has a precedent of new designs each year and it seems to work for them, so who are we to judge. Just because AFL guernseys change once ever millennium doesn't mean that change is a bad thing. Especially not for clubs who have a strong enough identity in their colours to feel free to experiment.

Yes you can recognise the kits but that isn't the point. You don't change 115 years of history. The gradient was a step away, but visually it was still a vertical stripe design especially when viewed from a distance.
So clubs like Bayern who have worn white hoops, blue stripes or pure red jerseys have no history then? THat's a pretty superficial attitude towards a fairly proud club...

View attachment 133041
The diagram has the Catala variation next to each type of Barca kit. My question is: how often do Barca wear the Catala kit, and has it ever been their home jersey?

I don't think you can compare the average AFL club to the big soccer clubs in terms of how sacred the home strip is. Yes, Collingwood changing to hoops would be completely face meltingly against what they claim to stand for visually and it would be one of the most shocking changes in sports design anywhere in the world.

The same can't be said for Barca who change their design every year.

Halves aren't stripes. Pinstripes are barely stripes. Halves are halves. Blackburn Rovers couldn't come out with a blue and white striped kit next year and expect everyone to accept it because it's a vertical design. It's not the same and it's not in the same set of design features

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back