Socceroos Socceroos Asian Cup Discussion Thread

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Don't mean to edit your post OP. Just that the final 23 for next month has been announced. (Mr_B)

10849757_759943124053947_6536409224609014044_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I really hope we take the chance on Kennedy. We struggle to score goals and his record speaks for itself. Not to mention his style of play is a hell of a handful for Asian teams. Even if he is just a bench weapon I think he needs to be in the final squad.

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
No Djite. Quite surprised with that. Apart from that it's the ones expected to be named. Great to see the Bunbury boy Risdon in there as well as Danny. Even seeing Amini in the initial list is nice. Federici and keeper Jones can * right off.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No Djite. Quite surprised with that. Apart from that it's the ones expected to be named. Great to see the Bunbury boy Risdon in there as well as Danny. Even seeing Amini in the initial list is nice. Federici and keeper Jones can **** right off.

On current form Risdon is a well deserved call up. On the form argument you would have thought Wilkshire deserves a nod as well. He is probably our best performed right back at the moment. But the future and all that.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
No Bruce is puzzling, perhaps Ange doesn't trust his injury track record. Elrich missing is odd, he is probably the best RB in the A League and contrary to popular belief was keen to represent Australia. Malik getting injured again at the wrong time sucks for the lad.

Happy to see Burns around the squad, he is on fire currently and I too hope Kennedy gets a spot, the sight of him would still be enough to worry Asian teams. If not then I struggle to see who else will score goals.

Wilkshire must have tried to sleep with Ange's wife.....

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ange reckons Wilkshire got injured again and that's why they couldn't consider him as it was always happening. Had to have been the same with Djite surely.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Ange reckons Wilkshire got injured again and that's why they couldn't consider him as it was always happening. Had to have been the same with Djite surely.
Juric is still there too, and he is as bad as Bruce.

Could make a good case for all the squad members to make the final 23, bar 2 goalies perhaps. Hope Williams gets a gig, poor bloke hasn't had much luck in recent times.

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams

Could make a good case for all the squad members to make the final 23, bar 2 goalies perhaps. Hope Williams gets a gig, poor bloke hasn't had much luck in recent times.

I guess that makes even Ange more of a hypocrite for having Juric but not Bruce. Williams has been more injury prone than anyone in the past 2 years.

Boro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2003
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough, Roar, Celtics, Cubs

Not sure Williams could be close to ready…started training last week with our reserves I think after what seems a 15 month injury?…only hope for him is to sneak into a spot on the right side of defence as we have two injuries there, but I can't see him getting a go with us anymore. Would be 4th or 5th choice in midfield or CB now. Poor fella gets injured at the wrong time.

Aug 9, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man Utd, Melb Victory
Wilkshire was starting for Feyenoord a month or two back but hasnt been in the squad for a while so he must be injured.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Wilkshire was starting for Feyenoord a month or two back but hasnt been in the squad for a while so he must be injured.

I'm not sure it has been that long. He missed the game against Sevilla on the 28th of November with a thigh injury. Prior to that he was a first choice starter. This article from the 6 December 2014 suggests he is close to full recovery from that injury:

http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/v...&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=twitterfeed
Coach Fred Rutten has selected the same team as more than week ago at the home game against Seville, Spain. With an impressive victory of 2-0 the Rotterdam team qualified early for the next round of the Europa League.

Right back Khalid Boulahrouz and winger Jean-Paul Boëtius may show it again in the derby . Luke Wilkshire , almost recovered from a thigh injury , is not even in the squad . Elvis Manu , already fully fit , starts on the bench .

Feyenoord 's been seven league matches in a row unbeaten ( six wins and a draw ) . Moreover, the team of Rutten held in the last four games to zero.
http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/v...&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=twitterfeed

I would have had him in the squad for sure, and probably starting.

Smith will never get game time at Livers (why the heck did they recall him?) and I haven't seen Wright in PNE's lineups for ages so they would be fairly cold if they were selected in the final cut.

Isn't Taggart still injured or something? Or did he get fit while I wasn't paying attention?

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
And who prey tell is better and available with the situation we faced after sacking holger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would definitely consider Kennedy for his height, experience and point of difference to our other striker options.

Wilkshire not getting named in the squad surely is a telling sign that his international career is all but over given he's 32 or 33?

Would love to see Williams in there too after missing out on the WC. Will be touch and go for him after missing so much football in recent times.

Shame to see no Good there - no idea what's up with him. Disturbing lack of news about him coming from the club. Hasn't been involved in any reserve fixtures either and with our horrendous injury list, if he were fit, he might have got a few games or made the bench as the very least.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Itll be very interesting to see who makes the squad, will Ange play favourites with the likes of Nicholls and Franjic ??

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Itll be very interesting to see who makes the squad, will Ange play favourites with the likes of Nicholls and Franjic ??

Franjic will definitely be in the final squad. He is as close to Ange's starting right back as there is. I would be surprised if Nichols makes the final cut. Ange did say (and I paraphrase) he brought some guys in to give them a taste and some exposure. I reckon Nichols will fall into that category.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Culled down to 23 after Christmas I think.

Back