Roast Something is wrong (Giants Supporters Only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Not good enough Giants.

Today's performance - coming on top of another 100-point hiding a couple of weeks ago - was just plain unacceptable. And alarming.

We were supposed to have left the 2012-style floggings in the past this year. But apparently not.

What makes it worse is that we were close to full strength today.

As for next week, we've got Hawthorn at the MCG. That 162-hammering a couple of years ago is in real danger of being exceeded.

Our character will be tested as never before. I hope Leon Cameron comes up with some answers very soon.

If he doesn't, it will set development of the club back for a long time.

Not good enough Giants.

Today's performance - coming on top of another 100-point hiding a couple of weeks ago - was just plain unacceptable. And alarming.

We were supposed to have left the 2012-style floggings in the past this year. But apparently not.

What makes it worse is that we were close to full strength today.

As for next week, we've got Hawthorn at the MCG. That 162-hammering a couple of years ago is in real danger of being exceeded.

Our character will be tested as never before. I hope Leon Cameron comes up with some answers very soon.

If he doesn't, it will set development of the club back for a long time.

Gubby and McConnell need to look at what they are doing to support Leon. He is a first year coach, with a very inexperienced coaching team, in addition to a young list. We all need to play the long game on this, however it would be better if we didn't lose anyone along the way. Leon will be a great coach, but needs a shed load of support along the way. At the moment it looks as though he is wearing the lot.

While i'm sure Leon will develop into a fine coach you do have to ask did we let personality stop us from getting the best person to take over from Sheedy - Mark Williams

But hopefully we can turn things around and come away with at least 5 wins for the season and come close to winning the neafl comp and if we do that then its a break even year and is another step forward its just a shame our steps are so much smaller then the suns at the same point.

Ablett is the difference.

He brings his teammates into the game and breaks games open himself.

Chuck ablett on our list and people will be asking what's wrong with Gold Coast.

If only we scored Pendlebury and took a chance with Martin

Ablett is the difference.

He brings his teammates into the game and breaks games open himself.

Chuck ablett on our list and people will be asking what's wrong with Gold Coast.

If only we scored Pendlebury and took a chance with Martin

Not sure about this, The suns have a number of players performing a lot better than the Giants have, even this time last year they were well ahead of where GWS are at present. I am interested to see what happens up there as the crowds clearly haven't come on board and with performances like today they will only drop off even more, interesting times for the Giants and the AFL.

Not sure about this, The suns have a number of players performing a lot better than the Giants have, even this time last year they were well ahead of where GWS are at present. I am interested to see what happens up there as the crowds clearly haven't come on board and with performances like today they will only drop off even more, interesting times for the Giants and the AFL.

The point I wanted to make by starting this thread is that we should not be getting consecutive beltings like this.

We're now entering a period where most of our list will have 50 games under their belt. So far we've celebrated 50 games for Giles and Ward with embarrassing thrashings. It's not good enough.

When we started in 2012 we were constantly told "wait until these guys have played 50 games, then you'll see". Well, we're now at that point and we don't seem to have progressed like the Suns.

Something isn't right.

Something isn't right.

Somethings aren't right, and here's a few of them.
1. Leon post-match said the fans are a loyal lot. How does he know that? There were 4,000 less fans this fixture than the corresponding 2012 Tiggers game. And I bet that this week new members go up by less than 100. We are ekeing out a foothold in NSW. Sorry, toe-hold.
2. We don't come from anywhere. It's fabricated. There is no wellspring, no locatable core. Just a vague feeling of a region of suburban sprawl that hasn't embraced us. GWS is a s**t name. Why pick something so hard to say and so amorphous in meaning? When barracking, who yells out c'mon GWS! No-one does coz it sounds s**t! I wanted New Sydney as the name of my club. It had a location, a feeling, an optimism. Now my club has meaningless initials as its name.
3. Draft policy. Time after time, we have drafted long term project players. They have all been exposed and had their confidence shot in the here and now. Think Plowman & Corr & Phillips, but also applies to Lobb, McCarthy, Jaksch, Buntine, Stewart, Downie. At last years draft, with Lewis Taylor still on the table, we went for Cam McCarthy, just coz, you know, he was big and he was there, and, like, we could afford the risk if it didn't turn out that he could, like, play footy. Will the Giants be a club destined to big things, always in five years from now?
4. I dread coming last again. Last and we get bloody pick 1. Another forward line monster that becomes ours so no-one else can get him. So we can go through the gut-wrench of swapping players out that shoulda been Giants, for other clubs re-treads.
5. Game plan. Is there one? I know, kick accurately to a leading target. The first guy has to lead into open space. The second guy has to find him with a kick. Keep it simple.

Somethings aren't right, and here's a few of them.

3. Draft policy. Time after time, we have drafted long term project players. They have all been exposed and had their confidence shot in the here and now. Think Plowman & Corr & Phillips, but also applies to Lobb, McCarthy, Jaksch, Buntine, Stewart, Downie. At last years draft, with Lewis Taylor still on the table, we went for Cam McCarthy, just coz, you know, he was big and he was there, and, like, we could afford the risk if it didn't turn out that he could, like, play footy. Will the Giants be a club destined to big things, always in five years from now?

I do think there's something wrong with the draft policy.

The best way to develop talented youngsters is within established teams. Look at how successful the Swans have been with that.

Yet we've been trying to build a "super team" of apprentices with no masters to teach them. Who do they look to when something goes wrong?

It's no wonder we're behind the game.

1. Leon post-match said the fans are a loyal lot. How does he know that? There were 4,000 less fans this fixture than the corresponding 2012 Tiggers game. And I bet that this week new members go up by less than 100. We are ekeing out a foothold in NSW. Sorry, toe-hold.

Agree, we must keep winning games, or at least be very competitive. It is really hard sitting next to long time Tigers fans so board with the thrashing their team is handing out that they stop cheering for their team to trash The Giants.

2. We don't come from anywhere. It's fabricated. There is no wellspring, no locatable core. Just a vague feeling of a region of suburban sprawl that hasn't embraced us. GWS is a s**t name. Why pick something so hard to say and so amorphous in meaning? When barracking, who yells out c'mon GWS! No-one does coz it sounds s**t! I wanted New Sydney as the name of my club. It had a location, a feeling, an optimism. Now my club has meaningless initials as its name.

That is why I call out Giants. Name not a biggie for mine. I agree the locale thing is a problem. I understand the logic behind having another 'toehold' in Canberra, but it doesn't help the club's identity. It would be ideal if we could just concentrate on the Western Sydney identity. I know Canberra supporters would say, how about you just focus on the Canberra identity. For now we have to find a way of selling what we are.

Izzy anyone? The ultimate project player fail. Wasted dollars, energy and opportunity on the footy ops front. Probably the same regarding marketing.

4. I dread coming last again. Last and we get bloody pick 1. Another forward line monster that becomes ours so no-one else can get him. So we can go through the gut-wrench of swapping players out that shoulda been Giants, for other clubs re-treads.

We are not that mindless. We really need to look at packaging a 1-2 pick with player to get a KPD gun with 100-200 games.

5. Game plan. Is there one? I know, kick accurately to a leading target. The first guy has to lead into open space. The second guy has to find him with a kick. Keep it simple.

I like Port's game plan. All out attack, all out run, all out pressure...back yourself every time. If the opposition can keep up, then good luck to them. They open up the corridor time and time again. A simple game plan, but you need the preseasons behind your team, the confidence and the talent...we have the talent...

the problem is they are playing selfish football.
There is no teamwork and no one is putting their own game behind that of the needs of the team.
Hear is the example that sticks in my mind from yesterday
1. Tomlinson marks the ball in the back pocket and has to hold it up as there is no clear target.
2. Sheil runs from the opposite pocket across the corridor and into open space near the sideline about 25m ahead of tomlimson.
3. tomlinson sees sheil and ignores the lead and goes for the hero kick across is body into the corridor to a 50/50at best
4.Turnover......goal......sheil give tomlison the hand slap and says dont worry.
5. I loose the plot in the crowd and give tomlinson a spray

there is no teamwork....everyone is going for the hero play and we look really bad.

The crowds aint gonna come to watch that crap and even the most loyal of us are not going to stand for it for long.
this thead is testament to that as I believe it is our first meltdown thread sice this board was born

Agree, we must keep winning games, or at least be very competitive. It is really hard sitting next to long time Tigers fans so board with the thrashing their team is handing out that they stop cheering for their team to trash The Giants.

That is why I call out Giants. Name not a biggie for mine. I agree the locale thing is a problem. I understand the logic behind having another 'toehold' in Canberra, but it doesn't help the club's identity. It would be ideal if we could just concentrate on the Western Sydney identity. I know Canberra supporters would say, how about you just focus on the Canberra identity. For now we have to find a way of selling what we are.

Izzy anyone? The ultimate project player fail. Wasted dollars, energy and opportunity on the footy ops front. Probably the same regarding marketing.

We are not that mindless. We really need to look at packaging a 1-2 pick with player to get a KPD gun with 100-200 games.

I like Port's game plan. All out attack, all out run, all out pressure...back yourself every time. If the opposition can keep up, then good luck to them. They open up the corridor time and time again. A simple game plan, but you need the preseasons behind your team, the confidence and the talent...we have the talent...
You are a new poster and a lot of what you write has been discussed in other threads. I don think we need to raise that old stuff here for the sake of what appears to be trolling. But you are right to be citical of the last few effort which have been piss poor

You are a new poster and a lot of what you write has been discussed in other threads. I don think we need to raise that old stuff here for the sake of what appears to be trolling. But you are right to be citical of the last few effort which have been piss poor

Then welcome a new poster, rather than accuse me of trolling. Do you want a vibrant board, or a small bunch of people that just agree with you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then welcome a new poster, rather than accuse me of trolling. Do you want a vibrant board, or a small bunch of people that just agree with you?
I was not accusing you of trolling. It was the poster you responded to.
Sorry if you read it that way.
Welcome aboard

Then welcome a new poster, rather than accuse me of trolling. Do you want a vibrant board, or a small bunch of people that just agree with youThere[/QUOTE

You will find that the smal group of people on here rarely agree .....and not just with me :):):)

I was not accusing you of trolling. It was the poster you responded to.
Sorry if you read it that way.
Welcome aboard

Yep, read the wrong way...

...however, there were a couple of good points in the op. Our draft strategy has to now become more focussed. Particularly given our need to down size the list over the next few years. We can only have so many projects. The game plan is also an issue. Is anyone able to coherently describe what it is this season? I know I can't.

And at the risk of feeding the trolls.....New Sydney is one of the worst suggestions I have ever heard
Who knows what a troll is? I know it ain't me Bogan. My positive suggestion of my prefereed name New Sydney was a positive idea. One that I thought of. Where's the negativity in an original thought? Twas easire for you to be negative. If the thread didn't invite my comments by being titled "Roast", I wouldn't have used it to vent. And whats wrong with venting? Distinguish it from trolling, whatever that is, please BJ.

I feel like Cameron needs to come out and say this is our area for improvement... We want to for example focus on tackles and defensive acts and be known as a team that causes pressure through turnovers (melb/freo)... Or that we are going to out run every team with running both ways and taking the game on (port)

I think the fans will respond if we have a direction and a style of play

I look back to the Sydney win and we won the tackles and pressure acts stats and the clearances that resulted... I'd love to have a stated style of play or are to improve

Welcome new poster. Good to have another giant on board.

I am known to lose the plot at times in regards to opposition clubs fans talking about poaching our list.

I have a reserved appreciation for NN

Lol I'm a fanboi

I think the fans will respond if we have a direction and a style of play

We've already got a style of play ->
1) Miss tackles, kick inaccurately, drop marks and give opposition a free run in our forward 50.
2) Lull them into a false sense of security and confidence so they become complacent.
3) Then strike and storm home.

.... I keep waiting for step 3 at every match, but it never comes. They're still working on that one.

(I joke of course. :p)

Last edited:
I think the GWS marketing team is also dirty on the performance. They've always tried to put a positive spin on the title of the website articles when we get smashed. Not this time. No post match player interviews either - though I can't imagine any players really wanting to talk.

Can't blame the marketing team for this reaction. They were probably hoping a good contest would win over some new fans. This would have probably burnt them.

I follow you guys a bit but fear that despite massive riches in high draft picks there is something not gelling at GWS. The last thing you need is more young players, better this year to do some serious trading of your high picks for two or three more senior players.

It looks to me like what happened at Melbourne, they let all their senior players go and thought a stack of high draft choices would carry thyem forward. Turned to shite of course, players who looked great when they first burst onto the scene went progressively backwards then out the door. Whats happened To Jeremy Cameron, a shadow of the 2013 version. Toby Greene threatening to challenge the leadership group wasn't good either.

I don't know how a club that can field a full team of top 20 picks can not be improving. Surely now in hindsight the win against Sydney was an abberation. Speaking of them, their current side only has about three top 20 picks! Go figure.

Time for something to change at GWS or it will turn to crap very quickly with kids heading home to successful outfits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back