News Son of a Gun

Remove this Banner Ad

Lachlan Hunter another son of a gun
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/loc...her-son-of-a-gun/story-fn53klc6-1226463797072

He has been summoned to the Bulldogs during the school holidays in previous years as part of the club's father-son program, but he is hoping the short commute from his home in Newport to Barkly St becomes more regular after this year's national draft. The Bulldogs can also commit to take Hunter as a rookie.

Vic Metro coach Rohan Welsh said Hunter has a body built for combat at the top level after this year's AFL Under-18 national championships, while Western Jets coach Steve Kretiuk lauds his charger as one of the blue-chip midfielders in the TAC Cup.

Hunter also has a penchant for kicking goals - an attribute which cannot be under-valued.
While school football commitments have limited his availability for the Jets this season - he played eight games - you get the feeling the Bulldogs would have seen enough

If we get him as a late pick or a rookie that would be ok, don't want to pay over the odds for him. A young bloke I know well who played on him didn't rate him.
is this young bloke going to be playing league footy next year

If we get him as a late pick or a rookie that would be ok, don't want to pay over the odds for him. A young bloke I know well who played on him didn't rate him.
An opposition player is always a hack when you play on them. Always.

is this young bloke going to be playing league footy next year

Whoa settle, it was an opinion by a young Jets player, who did a knee so is not playing any more. His opinion, but he is also one that played on Libba and rated him highly, (and he is a dogs supporter to boot).

We should be grateful that f/s prospects keep coming up but there are two issues here when considering him as a draft pick.

The first is obviously not to pay over the odds for him. If some club wants to bid their first or second round pick then we should just forgo the opportunity and wish both Hunter and the other club the best of luck. I doubt anyone seriously thinks he is a first round prospect. Unlikely he's a second rounder either.

The second issue is whether we really think he will make it as an AFL footballer, even if no other club bids for him. In theory then we could just pick him up with our last pick, the same way we would elevate rookies to the 2013 list. This can be seductive but unless we think he is a potential 100-gamer we should leave him alone, as he would only be a list clogger. We should not be lazy and take the cosy f/s option if there are better prospects still available out there.

I haven't seen him play and the reports on him are highly varied, but FWIW I get the feeling he is definitely worth a later pick (say fourth round). That's to say, he does sound like a potential 100-gamer for us.

I wouldn't be fussed if we took him with our 3rd round pick, which imo is the earliest we will have to. No one will bid first round, and none of GWS, GC or Melb will bid their second pick, so it will go to third.
He has footy smarts, something that is very valuable. He knows where to run on a field.

His a goal kicker. With Gia going at the end of next season he will be very valuable. If we can get him for a 3rd rounder or later then we are doing well.
Sure, he's a goalkicker in the TAC Cup but will he be able to average 2 goals a game in the AFL (after say 2 seasons)? If so, he will definitely be worth a 3rd rounder, but he acknowledged himself that the step up in class (playing for V.Metro) made the game a whole lot harder. The step up to AFL will be similar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Him + Dickson would be a nice combo up forward, since Gia is leaving next season it would be great to have a solid good sense player come in, since Dalh is moving up to the midfield these days.

Him + Dickson would be a nice combo up forward, since Gia is leaving next season it would be great to have a solid good sense player come in, since Dalh is moving up to the midfield these days.
Probably not really the right thread, but am I the only one who loves Dahl as a forward moreso than a mid?

I have only seen very small snipperts of him and the reports on here vary a lot. Seems to me that he's not first rounder but is possibly a high second rounder. For us to have to use our second round pick, someone will have to nominate a first or early second round. I reckon we'll get him with a 3rd round pick.

The formula is pretty simple. The recruiters rate him where he sits in the draft and we only take him if we can get him at that pick or better. If someone wants to play funny buggers with us and nominate for him just to make us use a higher draft pick then they may end up with a player they don't want.

But I do like the thought of once again using the call...."do dit do doooooo ....the Hunter"...lol

Probably not really the right thread, but am I the only one who loves Dahl as a forward moreso than a mid?
i made this thread, i have the power to do ANYTHING!!! until admins do something about it :p

Interesting I saw him on TAC future stars on the weekend in a goal kicking shootout with Fasolo from Collingwood. He won the challenge!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back