Songkran Festival, Thailand

Remove this Banner Ad

Astro_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone experienced Thailand's Songkran festival before?

From what I can tell its a 3 day water fight.

Kicks off today and the whole country gets involved as part of their new year celebrations.

Super soaker is ready to go. Let's roll

Was in Thai for a wedding several years ago which happened to be at this time of the year.
Wedding was in Phuket, so was in Koh Samui afterwards.... water water everywhere.
Getting doused with warm water was fine... but ice cold water was hell. There was baby powder thrown in at times too.
It was only in the streets where it was happening, beach was more or less off limits, so you can walk there without getting disturbed.
All in good fun, although I was hoping it would be over by the time I checked out... didn't want to get soaked along with my luggage as I went to the airport. Thankfully it was over by then.

Was just there earlier this week. Had a ball. We stay in Sukhumvit 11 which was a great area for this stuff. We were going to go to Khao San Road for it, but just stayed in our street (less crowds; great atmosphere). My 3 kids in particular loved the free licence to have what was basically a 10 hour, no holds barred mass water fight. What I enjoyed most was dousing a few arabs who, it seemed, weren't there to have fun :p.

I had an awesome 3 days. Great for kids and everyone involved. I'm up in Korat (Nahkon Ratchasima) around 3 hours north of Bangkok. Only young white guy walking around. Can't walk 10 metres without getting soaked

I've been up that way. Nice area. Khao Yai National Park is a good spot near there to look around. Kanchanaburi / Hellfire Pass (bridge over river Kwai) also well worth a few days+ (but I'm guessing if you're in that neck of the woods you already know that).

Last year when we were here we ventured out to Khao Yai which is a great place. I've just started learning Thai and hoping to have it down pat by the next time we come back next year.

8 days left then back to reality in cold Melbourne.

What are you doing in Thailand?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back