Songs You Like By Artists You Don't Like

Remove this Banner Ad

Pop by Nsync. I absolutely loathed the boy band craze of the late 90s but this song just did it for me.

Dreams -The Cranberries
Pour Some Sugar on Me - Def Leppard

I echo the sentiment that Maroon5 evolved into a completely different act than I initially expected. Even song to song with their early singles. This Love was fairly different and corporatey compared to Harder to Breathe, then She Will Be Loved was sort of charmingly embraced by Australia as an unlikely no.1.

Beyond that, well...at least they produced a few more catchy tunes, all I can say. The guy clearly has a knack for the showbiz.

I have always been ambivalent to Justin Beiber, I was already beyond 21 when I first heard of him and was disconnected enough from my age group for him to not have much presence in my life (same goes for One Direction, campaigners gonna hate, rest don't care unless you spend a lot of time around teen girls). Until recently, the only song I was aware of was the 'Baby' hook.

But I must admit that his three recent singles have been very likeable, and the Love Yourself video clip would have to be one of my absolute favourites of the decade thus far, I could watch it every day. I've actually taken notice of him, whereas I'd managed to stay largely aloof up until now. That's a well conceived reinvention. They aren't memorable or great songs, but if they popped up on the radio in 10 years, I wouldn't turn it over or anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of those unnecessarily dramatic '80s pop songs, like "Don't Lose My Number" and "We Didn't Start the Fire".

My parents are to blame for me knowing this one...but it is rather good. Lots of rock potential in the hands of the right band.

Although it's not in that version, the album version has an extended 'solo' part that includes the voice of a young Anthony Stewart Head (Giles from Buffy) reading Shakespeare.

Although it's not in that version, the album version has an extended 'solo' part that includes the voice of a young Anthony Stewart Head (Giles from Buffy) reading Shakespeare.

Lol, this sounds so appropriately, brilliantly pretentious. I'll have to seek it out.

Bad romance - Lady Gaga (love this song)
Pour some sugar on me - Def Leppard
Sliver - Nirvana
Since you've been gone - Kelly Clarkson
Fire & Ice - Poison
Shelter - Taylor Dayne
Dakota - Stereophonics
Maggie May - Rod Stewart
Jubel - Klingande (not that I dislike the group, I don't even know who they are, but house music is generally not my thing at all)
Umbrella - Rihanna (pretty easy on the eye)
Think I'm in love - Eddie Money
Sugar - Maroon 5 (can't stand these dicks)
Hold on we're going home - Drake
Get into the groove - Madonna
Flame trees - Cold Chiesel
Beds are burning, blue sky mine - Midnight Oil

Last edited:

I usually can't take Priest seriously, as they epitomise cringe-worthy metal cheese to me, but this is cracking stuff.

I get where you're coming from re: metal cheese BUT in my humble opinion Tipton and Downing are downright, absolutely brilliant guitarists. Up there with the absolute best of them.

Bon Jovi - Always
Bjork - Venus as a Boy
Black Flag - Rise Above
Bush - Glycerine
Extreme - Hole Hearted
Genesis - Invisible Touch
Kasabian - Club Foot
Kiss - Rock and Roll All Nite (the live version of course)
Lamb of God - Laid to Rest
Madness - Our House
Nickelback - This is How You Remind Me
Outkast - Hey Ya
Primus - Jerry Was a Race Car Driver
Pulp - Disco 2000
Rage Against the Machine - Bulls on Parade
Rammstein - Du Hast
Rush - Red Barchetta
Suede - Animal Nitrate
Suicidal Tendencies - Institutionalised
Supertramp - The Logical Song