SOS Leaves the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious loss if he goes... Very happy w his job thus far
i'm in the "i'm not yet conviced tree", i mean with all the quality picks you guys have had its more probable that there would be more hits than misses. I am not a fan of bringing in club legends, i mean look at the more recent sticks and rats get up, hardly ended well.

A very divisive individual. For your sake I hope it is just a rumour. GWS needs stability to develop a strong culture and you require a team player not the Pelican.

I tend to agree, he did some great things at St Kilda, which was a recruitment basket case when he walked in, but he also created or was surrounded by some significant staff fractures.
SOS has had it easy, he has done a great job, but it has to be acknowledged that it isn't the toughest gig going around.
Whilst we had the tour around the lifecentre it was was made clear to us that Gubby was the guy with all the names on board and the one doing lists on playing depths at opposition clubs.
I don't think Gubby and Pelchen could work together, and I prefer Gubby.

So its official SOS is going resulting in the following restructure:

The Greater Western Sydney GIANTS have appointed Simon Katich as Football Operations Manager. Katich, who played 56 Test Matches for Australia, joined the GIANTS last year as Player Development Coordinator and match day runner. He retired from all cricket after captaining the Perth Scorchers to the Big Bash title last summer to concentrate on a new career in the AFL. In his new role, Katich will report to General Manager Football Graeme Allan assisting with list management, TPP, budgets and continuing to manage leadership programs. He will relinquish his role as runner. "In just 12 months Simon has proven to be a great asset for the club and we want to continue to develop his skills and believe this is an ideal role," Allan said. Katich said: "I'm really excited about the new role and working closely with 'Gubby' who has vast experience and knowledge of the industry." Allan will continue to have primary responsibility for list management, with List Manager Stephen Silvagni to finish at the club after the forthcoming NAB AFL Draft.
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-11-17/kats-new-role#sthash.j3IFmbwV.dpuf

Last edited:
Well where there is smoke there is fire...we saw this one coming.

Always disappointing to lose a key pillar of the club but hopefully we can replace him with somebody equally as good if not better.

It's a dream job as even with improvement we should have good selections available to us for the next 5 or 6 years as the list is pruned and some highly rated kids depart.

I think overall SOS has done a good job. Let's face it with the concessions we've been given he's pretty much in a no win situation as if we succeed they will say its because of draft picks and if we underachieve he will be blamed!

I think their selections of the 17yo's were bloody incredible. To get in guys like Cameron, Treloar, Shiel, Kennedy and Hampton was just an insanely good yield. I think he may have erred in trying to build a list and not taking best available (in a couple of situations) however as we are not interviewing the kids we don't know what their attitudes were like.

For example Chad Wingard and Brodie Grundy both appeared obvious selections however we have subsequently found out that Wingard told us he would go home for nothing in 2 years if we picked him and Grundy apparently acted like a moron in some of his interviews.

The only player I think SOS should not of missed is Ollie Wines. Ollie had a mature body which we didn't have, was top 3 rated talent wise and had great character/family. Missing him was an error as taking a key defender in Plow so high was unnecessary and O'Rourke wasn't rated that high by anyone else. As I stated earlier he did steal James Stewart, and Zac Williams has been an excellent rookie pick up.

All things considered I think he's done a good job and hopefully nabs us Pickett next Thursday to give us a fantastic present before he departs :)

Interesting thing about that article was the expanded role for Gubby Allen who everyone said was also out the door - doesn't seem likely now :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think their selections of the 17yo's were bloody incredible. To get in guys like Cameron, Treloar, Shiel, Kennedy and Hampton was just an insanely good yield.

Kennedy was not one of the 17 year olds, he like Mohr was one of 10 players we could sign or trade who had previous registrated for the draft but didn't get picked up, and the 17 year olds were actually choosen by Neville Stibbard not SOS.

Im only worried if sos picks duds in the draft and not the people that he would usually get if he stayed hopefully he doesn't do us over but he did good getting griffin and patful

Im only worried if sos picks duds in the draft and not the people that he would usually get if he stayed hopefully he doesn't do us over but he did good getting griffin and patful
SOS isn't on his own, so it would be hard to sabotage. Of course it would make no sense to tarnish your name that way in the cut throat world of AFL. Looks like he wants a long career in football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back