Soundwave 2016

Jul 21, 2008
The Sunshine State
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bombers,Jazz,49'ers,Rafa

They've been strongly rumoured of late, I give them a decent chance (not that i know anything :p). With so many possible headliners ruled out by AJ, no news is probably good news. I've heard nothing about the RHCP either so i wouldn't totally rule them out.

Could be Rammstein

AJ has ruled them out. He says Lindemann are a possibility though

EDIT: Also, the next band is being announced at 12:30 tomorrow

hellboy1975

All Australian
Sep 25, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tool are an interesting one. AJ hosed down speculation earlier in the year by saying they wouldn't play again until the have a new album - something that is quite unlikely to happen prior to Soundwave 2016.

But despite that, there are a couple of things that could suggest they might be playing. Firstly it's been reported they're working on a new stage production designed specifically for festivals. Being as they only have one festival date scheduled so far, that implies there are others to come. Secondly, their recent newsletter suggests an announcement is happening at the end of September - on the surface of things this would appear to coincide with when we expect SW2016 to be announced. Thirdly, in my job running Tool website Fourtheye, I occasionally get a few tips here and there, and one that came my way recently suggested to me that the next shows are likely to be in my neck of the woods.

So the pieces somewhat seem to fit together if you ignore what AJ has been tweeting. He's notoriously unreliable when it comes to tweeting about headliners, but who knows. I think Tool seem a good chance to headline, but neither would it surprise me if they didn't.

Jul 21, 2008
The Sunshine State
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bombers,Jazz,49'ers,Rafa
AJ has said the first lineup is ready to be released but the website needs updating which may take a few days. You'd think the first lineup would drop in the next week or 2. Apparantly it consists of 22 bands which includes the 9 bands already confirmed. It will be very interesting to see who headlines considering AJ has ruled out so many bands!

EDIT: First announcement will be made on the 8th of October

Last edited:
Sounds like the lineup will finally be released this week. AJ has said its "in a few days" so my guess is Thursday or Friday.
Have been waiting for this lineup like crazy. Soundwave is 3 months away, still waiting so i can book flights, accommodation and tickets. Not enough bands that i like to justify the $1000-1500 journey that soundwave is for me. Holding big hopes though ! Have been going since 2013 (went to Melbourne in 13,14 and Adelaide this year) so keen as!

MelbourneCrow

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Chelsea
I think they're in real trouble:
1) Very scaled back set up - 35 bands!
2) Also no Adelaide or Perth, and very few sidewaves, so the economies of scale will be well down on previous years
3) No line up announced this ridiculously late
4) Put the announcement back again recently with some weak excuse about waiting for er Babymetal (!) to complete the 12 names to be released with the 11 already named - Cmon guys you used to release 40-50 names in the first announcement (which came out in the winter!)
5) Antemasque tweeted recently that they were still owed money from last year (then took the tweet down)

One of two things will happen - 1) can't land even one major act, so will admit defeat 2) will name some sort of lineup without anyone big enough to sell enough tickets to make the event break even.

Hope I'm wrong. AJ has provided me with some of my greatest memories, but he has also had a few of his festivals fall by the wayside.

mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
Yeah honestly the festival scene in Australia is struggling, and with the currency forecasts... Wouldn't be surprised if Soundwave falls to the wayside as well, which is a giant shame.

It sucks because if we lose Soundwave, besides Unify, we will barely see any bands of this genre in Australia again. Geez not even Avenged Sevenfold think they can fund an Australian tour if it isn't linked to a festival. It sucks

hellboy1975

All Australian
Sep 25, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It sucks because if we lose Soundwave, besides Unify, we will barely see any bands of this genre in Australia again. Geez not even Avenged Sevenfold think they can fund an Australian tour if it isn't linked to a festival. It sucks
Not so sure about that - I think the reason we barely see bands in this genre is because of Soundwave.

If Soundwave fails, then something else will pop up to fill the niche in the market.

Would like to hope so! Have been to Splendour, Stereos, Futures (even though its dead now), groovin the moo, and a few others around Australia and none of them provide the same sort of excitement and buzz as Soundwave does. Praying that AJ really surprises us all and 2016's Soundwave is amazing

hellboy1975

All Australian
Sep 25, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would like to hope so! Have been to Splendour, Stereos, Futures (even though its dead now), groovin the moo, and a few others around Australia and none of them provide the same sort of excitement and buzz as Soundwave does. Praying that AJ really surprises us all and 2016's Soundwave is amazing

I wish I could share your optimism and enthusiasm, but personally I prepared to be underwhelmed this time around. Since there's no Adelaide SW, it's not too big a deal, but I do enjoy going to festivals, even after all these years and despite all my friends complaining "I'm too old for this s**t".

Well AJ is either messing with our heads or its been delayed again. This original lineup announcement last thursday was shut down, AJ said only a few days. Last night he put a tweet up saying "tired & super stressed about SW16 artwork a week out from announce". I hope hes just trying to be annoying and its coming today

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
FWIW I think one of his entities is subject to a wind up order - not sure if it has gone through (i.e. wind up = seeking to have company placed into liquidation). Buyer beware.
Creditors meeting next week. Minutes are available on ASIC if anyone's willing to pay $36 for them. Should give a list of creditors which may include Fear Factory and Antemasque, who have gone public about being owed money.

I can see this all ending in tears.

Which sux as I bought tickets already!!!

Back