South Africa v England

Donnie Darko

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
Patel only made it to UAE because Ansari picked up an injury.
Ansari should have recovered by now and deserved to go on tour.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
England have announced their test squad.

Bell dropped.

Ballance, Compton and Footitt all included.

I'm guessing Compton will open with Cook

Cricinfo article reckons Hales is the favourite to open the batting with Cook. I don't get it. Surely you would be picking Compton over Hales especially in South Africa.

Alex Hales remains favourite to open alongside Alastair Cook in the Boxing Day Test in Durban, but that position could yet go to Compton to revive the partnership which was the first combination used after Andrew Strauss retired. The Cook-Compton alliance remains the most successful of the seven pairings used by England since Strauss, averaging 57.93 in 17 innings together with three century stands. Otherwise, Compton will vie with Ballance for the No. 3 berth vacated by Bell

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Writing was on the wall; they were already talking about dropping him during the Ashes. Hearing Hales is the favourite, but I would think Compton should get another go. He has the best partnership with Cook since Strauss retired, didn't really do anything wrong.

Get the feeling the Saffers will rip them apart.

Writing was on the wall; they were already talking about dropping him during the Ashes. Hearing Hales is the favourite, but I would think Compton should get another go. He has the best partnership with Cook since Strauss retired, didn't really do anything wrong.

Get the feeling the Saffers will rip them apart.
Yeah I think so. South Africa at home are very hard to beat, and the poms aren't that good away from home.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dropping Bell is a reasonable course of action. Really battled through the last couple of series and with the excellent Taylor coming on nicely it's a positive move.

Jordan ahead of Plunkett is horrendous IMO. Not sure what the point of Patel being on a South African tour is either.

Donnie Darko

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
The current S.A team are beatable IMO. They have lost Smith and Kallis since the last time we played them..
I get the feeling that some of their top players are on the way down.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
Might be a tight series if it was in england but no way that england batting lineup is getting the job done well enough to win in SA.

It isn't talked about as much as it is with other teams but england really have a very poor away record in recent years, been 3 years since they last won an away test series(india) and that's their only away series win in nearly 5 years.

Back