South Africa vs England series

Remove this Banner Ad

No India v England about two years ago when Compton debuted

I can understand the Ind/SAF pitches being criticized but I don't recall the Ind/Eng pitches exhibiting similar characteristics. Especially when there were a few totals of 400+ (and at least one 500), a couple of individual 150s. Compton actually had an innings of 30 off 28 chasing a small total in one of the tests.

I can understand the Ind/SAF pitches being criticized but I don't recall the Ind/Eng pitches exhibiting similar characteristics. Especially when there were a few totals of 400+ (and at least one 500), a couple of individual 150s. Compton actually had an innings of 30 off 28 chasing a small total in one of the tests.
Check the wicket takers - do t think the ball was actually sliding on to the bat at any pace from memory

Technically - Hales isn't going to make it at Test level - Sir Geoffrey and I agree on that. Surely amongst 18 counties there is another young opener worth having a look at

Alex Lees is the long term option but unfortunately he had a mixed season last year.

Technically - Hales isn't going to make it at Test level - Sir Geoffrey and I agree on that. Surely amongst 18 counties there is another young opener worth having a look at

There's a couple nice candidates coming through - Tom Abell looks terrificly composed at the crease and has been out over in Perth this summer, Lyth's partner at Yorkshire in Lees has made plenty of runs as well, but neither should be in the side just yet.

I still think the answer is someone amongst the group of Robson, Hales and Compton.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...and-use-Graham-Thorpe-to-pick-the-talent.html

Vaughan calling for a "vibe" based selection policy
Agree with him on Compton not being test standard. Although at this stage with a Test average of 17, and an ODI average of 25, you would have to say the same about Hales

Vaughany had the chance to run English cricket ,but he didnt want to give up his easy media life. He is like Shane Warne and tries to use the media to influence things and not give up his easy high paid pundit jobs and year round holidays.

Like I said, wrong era. You can't consistently score at under 40 and hope to succeed at test level these days.

Combining it with a strike rate under 40 too just screams of a bloke struggling to score (a la Khawaja's early Tests), rather than being a patient, slow accumulator.

I know traditionalists have a bizarre love affair with "grafters", but Compton has played enough Test innings to show that he's probably not all that great and not quite Test standard.

How many violent batting collapses has there been in recent years? I think he's well worth persevering with for at least another series or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well the position was Wood's until he got injured so if fit he's a certainty. Plunkett should be in the reckoning as well, but he's another who's recently been on the injury list.

Give Hales another series, Compton should hold his spot regardless. Drop Woakes because he's useless, play Footit or Wood.

Compton seems to start out well against a team. But as soon as they figure him out he really struggles..
Hopefully Hales can get the summer season to see if he can have success at Test level.

He's hot massive flaws against the moving ball.
Hasn't stopped us of late picking our players so why should England do any different ;)

Unlike us they'll actually figure that out and pick a player more suitable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back