South Australia v Western Australia at Glenelg (Mon-Thurs)

Remove this Banner Ad

If it's not a limited overs game, why limit the overs when there's a result and light available?

Rule change please.

Only WA could let Zampa and Putland bat for 20 ******* overs...

105873.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those bloody two overs...

The two overs at the start of the day didn't cost WA the game. What cost us the win was the fact it took us 19.5 overs to take the last wicket and in that time they added 67 runs, one of whom had a career first class batting average of 5.90 before this game started.

Given our bowlers ran through most of their line-up pretty easily and then took over an hour to extract the last wicket is why we didn't win the game. It's unacceptable really and could have a telling effect on whether we make the final this season or not. In reality we should have only been chasing 20 or 30 for the outright win and we should have done that quite easily.

The two overs at the start of the day didn't cost WA the game. What cost us the win was the fact it took us 19.5 overs to take the last wicket and in that time they added 67 runs, one of whom had a career first class batting average of 5.90 before this game started.

Given our bowlers ran through most of their line-up pretty easily and then took over an hour to extract the last wicket is why we didn't win the game. It's unacceptable really and could have a telling effect on whether we make the final this season or not. In reality we should have only been chasing 20 or 30 for the outright win and we should have done that quite easily.

One of those scenarios was completely in our own hands... One wasn't

Of course the butterfly effect might mean we declare overnight and only take 4 poles today instead of 10 and it peters out to a draw.

However I'm not exactly captain hindsight here - I called it last night. The two overs were crucial as it turned out

100 off 14 overs is easier than 75 off 8

Of course the butterfly effect might mean we declare overnight and only take 4 poles today instead of 10 and it peters out to a draw.

However I'm not exactly captain hindsight here - I called it last night. The two overs were crucial as it turned out

What cost WA the win was 8 dropped catches in the first innings. if they held half of those the game would have been done by tea

Wow just got home to find out the game ended in a draw.

I never doubted you South Australia you beacons of Australian cricketing beauty.

Yeah, nah. If the bowling attack needs almost 20 overs to break a last wicket partnership which includes a bloke who barely averages six then you've got issues. Blaming the two overs at the start of the day is the easy way out and that isn't the problem at all. And given the way we ran through the Redbacks for most of the day we had more than enough overs to bowl them out yet when it came to taking that final wicket we couldn't get it done quickly enough.

I have no doubt that JL, the remainder of the coaching staff and the boys will be focusing on the dropped catches we had earlier in the game and also the time it took to break their last wicket stand rather than blaming everything on the two over bash and crash we had at the beginning of the day.

Some people are going on about the 2 overs bowled on the fourth morning, but I go further than that. WA needed outright points and it didn't matter if SA got them. I was surprised to see WA still batting at the end of day 3. IMHO, WA should have declared the moment they passed SA's tally, plenty of time for SA to set up a target, a win/win situation for both teams. This was a classic example where rubbing the opposition's nose in it backfired.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back