South Coast AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 10, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just wondering how clubs are shaping up in the SCAFL. I hear Nowra Blues are looking like only having one side and didn't show at the last league meeting.

Apparently Albatross and Kiama had a good hit out in a twilight game last night. Albatross sounds like they have recruited reasonably well, especially with their couple of ex-Woolongong senior league soccer players (one 6'7'') and built like Barry Hall making the switch to AFL and picking it up very quickly.

tbtbtbtbtbtbtb said:
Just wondering how clubs are shaping up in the SCAFL. I hear Nowra Blues are looking like only having one side and didn't show at the last league meeting.

Apparently Albatross and Kiama had a good hit out in a twilight game last night. Albatross sounds like they have recruited reasonably well, especially with their couple of ex-Woolongong senior league soccer players (one 6'7'') and built like Barry Hall making the switch to AFL and picking it up very quickly.

Apparantly Albatross have recruited exceptionaly well for the upcoming lightning premiership on the w/e of april 2nd with best player for the series being awarded a greyhound 'tecky's jnr'

Hi Phil, how's it going. Long time no see.

Ulladulla are playing as a joint venture with St Georges Basin. Not sure where they're playing their home games, but there'd be a hell of a lot of travel just to get to training.

A Joint Venture? That's a new one. Where's St George's Basin's ground? At the Naval Base?

Ulladulla have the Galapagos Islands problem - like the Mountain Lions - too far from anywhere!

Long time no see back at yer! I'm well, been busy. The life of a mercenary is never dull.

purple hills said:
Apparantly Albatross have recruited exceptionaly well for the upcoming lightning premiership on the w/e of april 2nd with best player for the series being awarded a greyhound 'tecky's jnr'
ha ha yes I heard the same thing purple hills. a 'much in demand' pup from the tecky's roady and bombastic shiraz litter would be a fitting reward for the best player for the mighty demons on that day.

are you any chance of playing purple hills??

jmain14 said:
ha ha yes I heard the same thing purple hills. a 'much in demand' pup from the tecky's roady and bombastic shiraz litter would be a fitting reward for the best player for the mighty demons on that day.

are you any chance of playing purple hills??

Well under a bit of an injury cloud at the moment but if am able to get through easter unscathed then could be a starter.

Phil Doyle said:
A Joint Venture? That's a new one. Where's St George's Basin's ground? At the Naval Base?

Ulladulla have the Galapagos Islands problem - like the Mountain Lions - too far from anywhere!

Long time no see back at yer! I'm well, been busy. The life of a mercenary is never dull.

Ulladulla is pretty close to Batemans Bay, Narooma etc_the sapphire league???, they should play there.

fabulousphil said:
Ulladulla is pretty close to Batemans Bay, Narooma etc_the sapphire league???, they should play there.

You'd think so, but the Clyde River is a huge cultural Divide for many things.

Sapphire Coast don't want them, or Cooma. reason given: Travel.

heard when i was down at Delegate that there was some idea of a Mallacoota/Genoa team heading into the Saphire though. Would be interesting to see if it gets off the ground.

Phil Doyle said:
You'd think so, but the Clyde River is a huge cultural Divide for many things.

Sapphire Coast don't want them, or Cooma. reason given: Travel.

Interesting, i assumed that Cooma would be in the Canberra leagues like goulburn.

IYO what is this cultural divide of the clyde river-many retired mexicans below it??(south) not sure i follow.

Ulladulla is a fair way from merimbula which i beleive has two teams and a hell of a long way from Delagate.

Phil Doyle said:

Ulladulla is putting in a senior side - Bay and Basin reserves only so they have decided to appear as one on the draw and alternate where they play their games.

I can send you the draw if you like

(Log in to remove this ad.)

davefromjerra said:
Cooma play in the 2nd division of the Canberra District League along with Goulburn, Cootamundra and Yass. A fair bit of travelling for the Cats.

Surely Coota would be in a riverina league?? a fair way from Canberra., yass is only half an hour from Canberra and makes sense, Golburn is a bit further but still close enough.

Mobbenfuhrer said:
Was this the league that once had a combined Cann Rover-Genoa side in it?

Sapphire league (i think).......teams from Batemans Bay, Narooma, Merimbula X 2 Eden, Tathra.

Tamago river ...is that in or around Batemans Bay .... that would mean two senior teams for the bay...is that sustainable, is the junior structure in place and is rules slowly overtaking league as the preferred code in the area.

Has Ulladulla got a gig yet.

Sapphire Coast consists of the following- Batemans Bay FC
Eden Whalers FC
Merimbula Diggers FC
Merimbula FC
Narooma FC
Pambula FC
Tathra FC
Tomago River FC and South Coast has- Albatross
Bay/Basin
Bomaderry
Camden
Kiama
Milton Ulladulla
Northern Districts
Nowra
Port Kembla
not sure how strong Sapphire is,the Mexicans tried to take the area as their own recently though.Interesting about Tomago,they have about a dozen Chatfields on their list,must be some kind of record.

pekay-norwest said:
Sapphire Coast consists of the following- Batemans Bay FC
Eden Whalers FC
Merimbula Diggers FC
Merimbula FC
Narooma FC
Pambula FC
Tathra FC
Tomago River FC
not sure how strong Sapphire is,the Mexicans tried to take the area as their own recently though.Interesting about Tomago,they have about a dozen Chatfields on their list,must be some kind of record.

Yer two teams for merimbula....mexican retirement village but Batemans Bay being the most nothern club would have the least Vic influence(you would think) so for two teams there is a pretty good outcome. Strong canberra influence in the bay so maybe it will work as Canberra is quite strong in rules as well.

I note there is no team (ATM )in bega which is not on the coast and therefore not in the path of Victorian cultural expansion :D

If anyone could tell me the relative strength of the various footy codes around the region i would appreciate it.

fabulousphil said:
If anyone could tell me the relative strength of the various footy codes around the region i would appreciate it.

I moved up to the Illawarra area in the middle of last year from Mexico, and I started umpiring the junior leagues in the WDJAFL and I managed to see a couple of games after the junior ones in the SCAFL, and I wasnt really thrilled by the way the skill level up here is compared to where I umpired for 6 and 1/2 years in the Geelong Football Leagues (GFL, BFL, GDFL.) They are good, but not great I would have to say...

Thanks lions man .... i was more enquiring about footy further south ... the sapphire coast league.

With the re-allignment of the Southern NSW AFL mid 2006, I would think Coota may be enticed back into the Riverina region, probably back to the Farrer League to remove the bye. We will see

Remove this Banner Ad

Back