South West District Football League 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premiers: heywood
Wooden Spooners: Sandford
League Medal: peter roberts/james imbi
Biggest Improver from 11: heathmere (although played finals last year new coach i think they will be more consistant)
Biggest Slider from 10: westerns
Goal Kicker: Jason Mcrae
Most expensive team: Heywood
Most under-rated player: ??
Most over-rated player: charlie woodford
Most loyal player in the league: jason mcrae
Toughest bloke in the league: matt peters
Biggest Sook in the league: paul young

How can you not rate Branxholme as wooden spooners as last I heard they only wanted to field a reserves side because they didnt have the talent.

Biggest Improver from 11: heathmere (although played finals last year new coach i think they will be more consistant)

I don't know how you can call Charlie Woodford over rated, 19 years old and played every game for a Tyrendarra team that lost the grand final last year. I think your being very harsh on the young fella.

Premiers: Dartmoor
Wooden Spooners: Branxholme
League Medal: Scott Clark
Biggest Improver from 11: Heathmere
Biggest Slider from 11: Westerns
Goal Kicker: Jason McCrae
Most under-rated player: Michael Keem/ Shay Rhodes
Most over-rated player: Zac McDonald
Most loyal player in the league: Matt Peters
Toughest bloke in the league: Mark Phillips
Biggest Sook in the league: ????

Going to be a tough one this year I think. Top 5 eams will be very close

Not sure how you can say Charlie Woodford is over-rated, only 19 and Was best on ground in 2 out of 3 finals last year including best on in the GF. Wooden Spooners: Branxholme
League Medal: James Imbi
Biggest Improver from 11: Cavendish
Biggest Slider from 10: Westerns
Goal Kicker: Jason Mcrae/Rowan Clark
Most under-rated player: Lance Lucas
Most over-rated player: John Bell
Toughest bloke in the league: Simon Jones
Biggest Sook in the league: Ben Nash (heywood)[/QUOTE]

i hear from a reliable source that BIGbloke is actually Mr Charlie Woodford. I know you have a little beef with your old club heywood, but its pretty low naming ben nash as the biggest sook. would love to tell jb that you think his over rated as well.

i think you better start getting your possibilities and probabilities correct before you start your chit chat.

Is this coming from the same reliable source that brought you such gems as: heywood will never leave the western border?

Originally Posted by knuckle up
heywood will never leave WB. if they worked hard to get winis last year when he showed a bit of interest, they wouldnt be in this trouble.

i think they can over come this and use it as a fresh start like imps did not long ago

Shocking score line for Branxholme. Did they only field one grade. Surely this club only has a couple seasons left.

Yup only one grade in the footy, apparently have like 25 players. Applied to the league to field a Reserves side not an A grade side, had that request denied. Writing must be on the wall for them.

Only found that out on the weekend, so my pre season pick as Sandford for the spoon, chnages to Branx for the spoon.

Yup only one grade in the footy, apparently have like 25 players. Applied to the league to field a Reserves side not an A grade side, had that request denied. Writing must be on the wall for them.

Only found that out on the weekend, so my pre season pick as Sandford for the spoon, chnages to Branx for the spoon.

I'd say sandford does not have a bright future ahead of them either, but people have being saying that for years. I would say the league will get restructured perhaps with clubs from the mininera league or warrnambool district. Run 2 district leagues in the south west rather than 3.

Some interesting results from the weekend.

Heywood got over the darras with a good win. Both teams showed some good form but Heywood had a lot more depth in their team and a lot more class. Both teams have some work to do but Heywood look the goods.

Heathmare had a solid win. They look like real contenders. I know they didn't have much of an opposition but they still look the goods. Top 3 side.

Westerns ran over Dartmoor. Dartmoors late pre season start cost them the game. A tactic do you think or still getting over the GF hangover? Westerns have recruited well but i didn't think they would be that good..? It will be very interesting to see how they match up this weekend against Heywood.

Heywood, Heathmare, Dartmoor and Tyrendarra are all top sides. It could go either way but it will be tough for any side to shut down Heywoods midfield and their fire power up forward.

Premiers: Heywood
League Medal: steve o'brian
Biggest Improver from 11: Heathmere
Biggest Slider from 11: Coleraine
Goal Kicker:Mick Wilson
Most expensive team:Heathmare
Most under-rated player: Paul Roberts
Most over-rated player: Charlie Woodford
Toughest bloke in the league:??
Biggest Sook in the league: Luke Evans

Premiers: Heywood
Wooden Spooners: Branxy
League Medal: Damien Pemberton
Biggest Improver from 11: cavendish
Biggest Slider from 11: Coleraine
Goal Kicker:Mick Wilson
Most under-rated player: Tim Frost (everyteam has one)
Most over-rated player: Rowan Clarke
Most loyal player in the league: Craig Toestti
Toughest bloke in the league: Ben Cook (anyone who has been on the receiving end of a cooky bump will agree with this)
Biggest Sook in the league: is huggins playing?

Some interesting results from the weekend.

Heywood got over the darras with a good win. Both teams showed some good form but Heywood had a lot more depth in their team and a lot more class. Both teams have some work to do but Heywood look the goods.

Heathmare had a solid win. They look like real contenders. I know they didn't have much of an opposition but they still look the goods. Top 3 side.

Westerns ran over Dartmoor. Dartmoors late pre season start cost them the game. A tactic do you think or still getting over the GF hangover? Westerns have recruited well but i didn't think they would be that good..? It will be very interesting to see how they match up this weekend against Heywood.

Heywood, Heathmare, Dartmoor and Tyrendarra are all top sides. It could go either way but it will be tough for any side to shut down Heywoods midfield and their fire power up forward.

Late preseason didnt seem to bother them last year, had chances to put Westerns away, didnt and there you go. However I think the search for a ruckmen would be a concern.

Late preseason didnt seem to bother them last year, had chances to put Westerns away, didnt and there you go. However I think the search for a ruckmen would be a concern.

Is that Darty needing a ruckman? Who is rucking for them at the moment?
Will westerns be a chance against Heywood this weekend?

Is that Darty needing a ruckman? Who is rucking for them at the moment?
Will westerns be a chance against Heywood this weekend?

Yeah Dart need one, lost both of their ruckmen from the Premiership team, plus the Premiership CHB. Starting Ruckmen was the number 2 Ruckmen from the B's last year and Simon Jones went into the Ruck at different times.

Wouldnt of thought so from what I saw of Westerns, but u never do know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

people still backing Heywood for the flag??

the season is setting up to be fairly even with coleraine and cavendish setting up good wins on the weekend. could westerns be solid all year or someone else pop up and be the team to beat??

i still think Heywood will be to strong once they have their full playing list on the park, but will they get everyone out there at the one time???

Heathmare.... What a disappointment they have been. I seen their players abuse their coach at the Heywood game in front of their bench. Their coach is doing the best he can with a very very average list.

Heathmare.... What a disappointment they have been. I seen their players abuse their coach at the Heywood game in front of their bench. Their coach is doing the best he can with a very very average list.

They seemed to have done alright recruiting-wise, but it hasn't really come together for them yet..
Maybe they will gel a bit more in the next few weeks, maybe they're just not the right fit..
Either way should build some confidence with a win over Sandford at home..
Tips for this week:
Branxholme Wallacedale vs Westerns by 150
Cavendish vs Heywood by 60
Heathmere vs Sandford by 80
Coleraine vs Tyrendarra by 50

The half way mark of the season has come and gone and fair to say has been some very interesting results in the competition so far! I don't think many outside of Alexandra Park would have Westerns undefeated and Tim Annett as the clear leading goal kicker after the 1st 9 rounds. Much to look forward to in the second half of the season as the top 5 is still really unsettled and just about everyone can beat everyone on their given day besides branxholme and sandford.

Taken a stab at how I think the ladder will look at the end of the season
1-Westerns 14 wins-2 losses-56 points
2-Heywood 13-3-52
3-Tyrendarra 11-5-44
4-Dartmoor 10-6-40
5-Heathmere 9-7-36
6-Coleraine 7-9-28
7-Cavendish 5-11-20
8-Sandford 2-14-8
9-Branxholme-Wallacedale 0-16-0

Also took an attempt at a team of the year after 9 rounds. Hard to pick as have only seen some sides play once but had a crack anyway. Doing a team like this makes you wish their had of been an interleague match!
Mid-Season Team of the Year
B: Shay Rhodes (Tyr), Ben Foster (Tyr), Mark Phillips (Dart)
HB: Josh Eats (Col), Simon Jones (Dart), Paul Young (Heat)
C: James Sclanders (Dart), James Imbi (Hey), Peter Roberts (Heath)
HF:Scott Clark (Tyr), Zachary Michau (Dart), Reece Cracknell (West)
F: Tim Annett (West), Mick Wilson (Hey), Jason McCrae (Dart)
Foll: Shane Keegan (Hey), Damien Pemberton (West), Jason Saunders (Hey)
Int: Michael Keem (West), Rowan Clark (Tyr), Stephen O'Brien (Hey), Billy Bell (Hey)
Coach: Brett Hawke (West)

The half way mark of the season has come and gone and fair to say has been some very interesting results in the competition so far! I don't think many outside of Alexandra Park would have Westerns undefeated and Tim Annett as the clear leading goal kicker after the 1st 9 rounds. Much to look forward to in the second half of the season as the top 5 is still really unsettled and just about everyone can beat everyone on their given day besides branxholme and sandford.

2-Heywood 13-3-52
3-Tyrendarra 11-5-44
4-Dartmoor 10-6-40
5-Heathmere 9-7-36
6-Coleraine 7-9-28
7-Cavendish 5-11-20
8-Sandford 2-14-8

Also took an attempt at a team of the year after 9 rounds. Hard to pick as have only seen some sides play once but had a crack anyway. Doing a team like this makes you wish their had of been an interleague match!
Int: Michael Keem (West), Rowan Clark (Tyr), Stephen O'Brien (Hey), Billy Bell (Hey)

I would agree with most of that, but how have you got 6 heywood players in there and only 4 westerns players? Is that just who you have seen the most or is there a little bit of reputation in it?
Jason Saunders has played 4 games, but still gets in? So if someone plays eight games for the season they should be eligible you think? I am not having a crack mind you, just thought it might be a good debate.
westerns would have 2 inclusions into that team and possible one miss out. David Alexander would most certainly be the FB, by a very large margin as well and Hayden Dyke would be in there as well. Not sure on your Cracknell pick and I guess it depends on how you are setting up your team as I have been told he hasn't played half forward this year.
I think the CHF position will be interesting if John Bell can stay on the park in the second half of the year and should be a good battle between he and Michau.
Overall I would swap O'Brien onto rover and then switch saunders out for dyke and switch Foster for alexander.
Personally I wouldn't have cracknell on hf due to reasons stated above.
Obviously as with yourself its hard to see all of these guys every week but the rest have been impressive when I have seen them.

2-Heywood 13-3-52
3-Tyrendarra 11-5-44
4-Dartmoor 10-6-40
5-Heathmere 9-7-36
6-Coleraine 7-9-28
7-Cavendish 5-11-20
8-Sandford 2-14-8

Can anyone from Westerns shed a little light on Pemberton?
Heard some good things but haven't seen him play yet or feature to dominantly in the best.
Also agree with border playa about J.Saunders, has been injured a fair bit of this year so based on that he probably wouldn't make the team so far.
I also think Leigh Malseed might be a chance at full back, would have to watch a bit more of him tho, anyone agree/disagree?

Great points guys. As I said it's very hard only seeing players once around, I didn't realise Saunders had missed so many games so that would be an easy swap for a Dyke or someone along those lines.

Honestly I tossed up between Alexander and Foster for the full back spot (also Alexander/Rhodes for the BP spot also) have only seen him a handful of times and while I agree he is a very good stopper he doesn't do very much damage when he has the ball in his hands. Again this is only my opinion from 2 or 3 games.

As for cracknell he is the second leading goalkicker amongst the small forwards. I know he got 11 against Branxholme which doesn't mean a whole lot but there hasn't been many small forwards kicking goals so far this year that I have seen. Who would you replace Cracknell with Border Playa?

John Bell is definately the interesting one. Has played well on the park so depending on his second half will defintely challenge Michau. Also I see that Jason McCrae has a pretty serious finger injury so will be interesting to see how much he plays in the second half.

Good to see some debate and banter on here. Has been a bit quiet of recent months! Hopefully this sparks a bit of debate and get's people talking on here again

Can anyone from Westerns shed a little light on Pemberton?
Heard some good things but haven't seen him play yet or feature to dominantly in the best.
Also agree with border playa about J.Saunders, has been injured a fair bit of this year so based on that he probably wouldn't make the team so far.
I also think Leigh Malseed might be a chance at full back, would have to watch a bit more of him tho, anyone agree/disagree?

Pemberton has played ruck rover all year for westerns has a huge tank very hard running player who attacks the ball hard and gets it moving foward old fashion type player finds space well, tackles, chases all day one of hes biggest strengths would be hes over head marking, very verstile player could play in any position, played most of hes football at centre half back before this season, would be top 3 in westerns best fairest to this stage

A pretty good crack the blue whale. Id agree with border playa in having dyke and alexander in the team over saunders and foster. Also prob john bell just ahead of zac michau both having great seasons. Benny menzel also having a great year could be a chance at the bench along with dartys shane jones and westerns luke evans.

Thought id have a go at this but from a mid season point of view.

Premiers: Heywood/westerns, hard to split!
League Medal: hayden dyke/james imbi
Goal Kicker: Tim Annett but will get very tight
Most under-rated player: james scalanders
Most over-rated player: lance lucas
Toughest bloke in the league:
Biggest Sook in the league:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back