Southern FL Div One 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very quiet in here...

I guess no one wants to give anyone ammunition.
No ammunition here but this weeks games are very hard to pick. I'll have a go. Elimination final should be a beauty. Cheltenham belted Dingley earlier in the year but the Dingoes bounced back to take the points next time around. Perhaps the major difference would be Cheltenham are more finals savvy and are bigger physically. I'll tip the Rosella's in a nail biter. The Qualifying Final is anyone's guess. Either team is capable of going all the way. St.Pauls are running into the finals with a near full list as is Chelsea Heights. It's a really tough one to pick. The clash between Gilbert and Smith may determine the outcome. The St.Pauls midfield may have an edge but the smaller confines of Clayton could suit the Heighters. Neither were impressive last week so it's a real coin toss. I'm tipping the Doggies to win through to play the Vampires next week by less than a kick. It will be a cracking game but the Doggies without a lot of confidence.

Some teams wouldn't want finals at Clayton due to the fact it would turn into a contested game of football.............
CT Im tipping your mob aren't ecstatic having to play at Clayton. After watching yesterday's boring game CH must be rapt the finals are at Clayton due it being the biggest side. Their bigger players are never far from the contest on the smaller ground, whereas at Springy they would be exposed by the sides who spread quickly. Watching yesterday there was nowhere to run for the St.Pauls players. The small confines made it a boring game due to the number of stoppages and lack of run and link up play. Be interesting to see how E Bri play this week as they love to share the ball around and spread as well as anyside. Can they change their game style at such a late stage of the year.
On a positive, well done to Ryan Flack on his day out yesterday, just reminding people what a good player he was ( still is ).

CT Im tipping your mob aren't ecstatic having to play at Clayton. After watching yesterday's boring game CH must be rapt the finals are at Clayton due it being the biggest side. Their bigger players are never far from the contest on the smaller ground, whereas at Springy they would be exposed by the sides who spread quickly. Watching yesterday there was nowhere to run for the St.Pauls players. The small confines made it a boring game due to the number of stoppages and lack of run and link up play. Be interesting to see how E Bri play this week as they love to share the ball around and spread as well as anyside. Can they change their game style at such a late stage of the year.
On a positive, well done to Ryan Flack on his day out yesterday, just reminding people what a good player he was ( still is ).

Boring game?

If your idea of an "exciting" game is a uncontested, front running style of footy, then you'll be hard pressed to find it any league during finals at this time of the year.

Yesterday was a hard, contested game of footy, as all finals should be, and a great endorsement on the league (I'm involved mostly in VAFA).

I don't think I've seen a side smother the ball as much as Chelsea Hts did yesterday, going by their manic attack on the ball, they will be extremely hard to beat imo.

Boring game?

If your idea of an "exciting" game is a uncontested, front running style of footy, then you'll be hard pressed to find it any league during finals at this time of the year.

Yesterday was a hard, contested game of footy, as all finals should be, and a great endorsement on the league (I'm involved mostly in VAFA).

I don't think I've seen a side smother the ball as much as Chelsea Hts did yesterday, going by their manic attack on the ball, they will be extremely hard to beat imo.

Agreed, i thought it was a good game. St Pauls were lucky Chelsea Heights missed some easy shots at goal or it would have been a fair smashing on the scoreboard.
The ground has come up well considering what it was like just a few weeks ago.
I thought the crowd was down a bit considering it was a final, Any idea how many were there yesterday?

Boring game?

Yesterdays game was hard and contested but not good to watch. Pack footy. Every kick went to a contest. If you want to see a good game do yourself a favor and watch an EFL game. Hard and contested around the stoppages but sides with skill are then rewarded because superior kicking skills standout. Any game where you get rewarded for being heavy (fat) rather than fit (ability to run) is embarrassing for the league. In EFL you get both. Strength and power on the inside, speed and skill on the outside

A) Who are you calling fat?
B) Who care what happens in the EFL? If thats what you like, don't come and watch SFL games any more. You may have missed it, but the 1000 posts in here that said that because of the size of the ground, it's never going to be an open free running game, so I'm not sure what you expected.

That was hard, tough, fantastic finals footy. I'd suggest there are some pretty sore boys on both sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys... just an outsider here if anyone’s interested as I don’t normally go to SFL games, follow the EFL. Noticed the debate in this thread, thought I’d add my 2c as an outsider. Was at Clayton on Saturday, thought it was a great day and really well run. Bit of a walk for parking but not too bad (5 mins walk away and we got there at 2.15pm). Decent crowd, no hassle or wait getting a feed or a beer.

Pretty good game of footy, ground probably a bit small as some have mentioned but I always think with that... does it affect the result? The debate is always had in the EFL as they have finals at Ringwood which is a massive ground, apparently one of the biggest in Victoria.

Upside, smaller ground generally does make for a close-in, tough game of footy and high scoring.

On the game, Chelsea Heights very impressive unit, would definitely compete well with the EFL’s best sides.

Ahh yes..A ground report. We played at Chelt in the morning, so didn't get to Clayton until half time of the 2's. Parked a street away, not a drama. Got out easily. Beers are a stretch at $5 but Spirits were reasonable at $6. Burgers were fantastic from all reports. The ground was in good nick.

Thanks to the Dingley training staff for their assistance and expertise in helping our trainers with Brodes' injury. Much appreciated by all at Cheltenham FC.

Cheers mate, if there is something that our club does very well it is the standard of our Training Staff. Donna and her team are 1st class.

How is your player? Pretty horrible thing to happen. I remember at MPNFL Finals that there was always an Ambo on hand. To wait more than 40 minutes on the ground was terrible for the player amd your club.

I thought we had you Super but we couldnt stop the big boy at Full Forward. We are very proud of our boys, better things to come next year!!! We now pin our hopes on the 2's and Thirds.

hey fella's, what are your thoughts on the players coming through the colts this year hopeing to play senoirs next year ? any stand outs ?

Cheers mate, if there is something that our club does very well it is the standard of our Training Staff. Donna and her team are 1st class.

How is your player? Pretty horrible thing to happen. I remember at MPNFL Finals that there was always an Ambo on hand. To wait more than 40 minutes on the ground was terrible for the player amd your club.

I thought we had you Super but we couldnt stop the big boy at Full Forward. We are very proud of our boys, better things to come next year!!! We now pin our hopes on the 2's and Thirds.

He is OK but has a broken fibula, broken tibia, dislocated ankle and ligament damage. Will be a huge loss for us next week. We also had a young bloke in the Reserves who suffered a collapsed lung. Not a good day on the injury front!

I think everyone at the ground thought you guys had us (about three times!). Glad our players didn't though. Pretty good win in the end considering.

Shocking injury glad to hear he's holding up OK. I know that ambulances are not necessarily dispatched from hospitals but it was ironic you could see Monash Hospital from the ground and it took 40 minutes to arrive. The game was a better one than the day before but CH were very ominous and will take a power of beating. St.Pauls didn't adapt to the narrow ground but that won't happen again. In fact it was a very unDoggies like performance. There are some things that just don't work at Clayton and some that do. The big units at CH give them a great advantage, particularly, when they don't have to cover as much ground. Poor crowds both games and parking is difficult. Expect close games this week. There is sufficient area to find space at Clayton if teams think about it.

Super, I have the feeling Donna ( Dingley Trainer) was th person responsible for saving a Skye players life earlier in the year.....

I agree, they have an award for just about everything else. If it was me I would promote her for an award.

Heard one of the Gilberts's broke a leg at training last night. Any news on which one? If it's the ruckman back to back for the Doggies just got decidedly shaky. Got to be the ultimate in bad luck getting an injury like that at training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back