Southern FL Div Two 2015

Who will take out the Div2 Flag in 2015

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A rep team with 20 of the best 30 eligible players not playing.

SKOBS played their reserves in the first half and the seniors came out fresh in the second half. The result was anomalous. I played for SKOBS in the 80s and still take an interest in their progress. My son plays for a SFL Div 1 team so, obviously, take an interest in his team. In my opinion, their is little difference between a strong SFL Div 1 team and a decent B Grade ammo team. By decent I mean a top four team. Unfortunately the depth of SFL Div 1 is weak and consider the bottom teams considerably weaker than low range C Grade Ammo teams.

SKOBS played their reserves in the first half and the seniors came out fresh in the second half. The result was anomalous. I played for SKOBS in the 80s and still take an interest in their progress. My son plays for a SFL Div 1 team so, obviously, take an interest in his team. In my opinion, their is little difference between a strong SFL Div 1 team and a decent B Grade ammo team. By decent I mean a top four team. Unfortunately the depth of SFL Div 1 is weak and consider the bottom teams considerably weaker than low range C Grade Ammo teams.

That’s a fair enough comment although even the best SFL sides probably lack the overall depth of the top B grade VAFA clubs.

You would think Springvale would be happy with that result? Only 3 goals to a div 1 ammo side, add to that they were missing there biggest recruit Gough.

Gough played Saturday( all 140Kilos of him.) against Elsternwick. Kicked a few too. Vales could not master the ruck or arial duels. Lacking in height. Pracy form is not the best guide to a season. That said, both clubs played a close but fair match. Albeit only one umpire.

Gough played Saturday( all 140Kilos of him.) against Elsternwick. Kicked a few too. Vales could not master the ruck or arial duels. Lacking in height. Pracy form is not the best guide to a season. That said, both clubs played a close but fair match. Albeit only one umpire.

By far the worst umpire I have ever seen, I really feel for the VAFA teams that cop that bloke this year. Wow

By far the worst umpire I have ever seen, I really feel for the VAFA teams that cop that bloke this year. Wow
He's only in it for the money it seems. Paid for practice games. That said, It IS hard being one out in a fast paced game. Tended to make decisions from a long way away. He will be officiating in Div 2 and below this season. Heaven help them!
How would you rate Springy's game?

Last edited:
He's only in it for the money it seems. Paid for practice games. That said, It IS hard being one out in a fast paced game. Tended to make decisions from a long way away. He will be officiating in Div 2 and below this season. Heaven help them!
How would you rate Springy's game?

It was so bad it was almost a distraction. We played very poorly, worlds apart from last week's practice match where we performed quite well. We had a few out and there are a lot of new players so it will take time to gel, plenty of positives though and we are quietly confident for the season ahead and focused on round 1.

It was so bad it was almost a distraction. We played very poorly, worlds apart from last week's practice match where we performed quite well. We had a few out and there are a lot of new players so it will take time to gel, plenty of positives though and we are quietly confident for the season ahead and focused on round 1.

How did you rate the other mob?

How did you rate the other mob?

Prahran were a lot better last week. But Elsternwick had some solid players all over the ground, ruckman is a big boy and did as he pleased and the full forward kicked 7-8 goals? Some handy midfielders.. Don't see much depth though

Prahran were a lot better last week. But Elsternwick had some solid players all over the ground, ruckman is a big boy and did as he pleased and the full forward kicked 7-8 goals? Some handy midfielders.. Don't see much depth though

Don't see much depth? For a start that was Elsternwick's first praccy match for the season, with 12 new players in the team and another 4-5 that will come straight in. It was an easy 6 goal win by Elsternwick in their first praccy match together.

Maybe I'm mistaken here and you meant Springvale Districts don't have much depth? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't see much depth? For a start that was Elsternwick's first praccy match for the season, with 12 new players in the team and another 4-5 that will come straight in. It was an easy 6 goal win by Elsternwick in their first praccy match together.

Maybe I'm mistaken here and you meant Springvale Districts don't have much depth? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was asked to give my opinion about Elsternwick, not compare them to Springvale.
How was I meant to know about all your new players coming in or your 15 new players. I gave my opinion of you on the day and that's all I can do, if your ruckman went down then there was no one to replace him. Your back up was no where as good so there is one instance of lack of depth and your 2's lost to ours by 10 goals so doesn't look like you have much depth there either. And I stand by my statement saying Prahran were a lot better opposition, we played poorly yesterday, our kicking went something like 8.10? You kicked 14.5? I don't remember exactly but you kicked very straight, no excuses but yeah that umpire was a disgrace as well haha

I think Choc meant Elsternwick didn't have much depth. A certain 47 year old was playing two's and ones for the visitors. Elsternwick's reserves have had some dreadful seasons lately which would suggest poor depth. That said, some of the opposition have had strong ressie teams of late. Springvale had a new full forward and played a Pagan's paddock game which works well if delivered right into his belly. No run though. Amateur footy is a different game. A lot faster on most occasions.

I was asked to give my opinion about Elsternwick, not compare them to Springvale.
How was I meant to know about all your new players coming in or your 15 new players. I gave my opinion of you on the day and that's all I can do, if your ruckman went down then there was no one to replace him. Your back up was no where as good so there is one instance of lack of depth and your 2's lost to ours by 10 goals so doesn't look like you have much depth there either. And I stand by my statement saying Prahran were a lot better opposition, we played poorly yesterday, our kicking went something like 8.10? You kicked 14.5? I don't remember exactly but you kicked very straight, no excuses but yeah that umpire was a disgrace as well haha
Lets be realistic though. I would expect a D1 VAFA side who have pushed finals to be a lot stronger than a D3(6th division effectively) side in Elsternwick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched keyszy today and if they think they have the flag already they are dreaming.
Very old and slow looking. Not much defense in there game.

I blame Moose.

So some more practice match results from teams over the weekend.

Caufield def by Mordialloc by 60 points
Oakleigh Districts def CPL by 90 points
Springvale Districts def by Elsternwick by 20 points
Keysborough def by Clayton by 30 points

Appears Oakleigh Districts are going to be the team to be beat this Season, and also that Caufield may be more competitive than we had thought.

However looks like Keysborough and Springvale Districts may not be as powerful as we expected. Albeit only Practice games.

Haven't heard much out of Highett, anyone know how they went on the weekend?

Going by posts in the VAFA board, Caulfield played aquinas last weekend and beat them by about 6 goals.
Highett played aquinas the week before and lost by 7-8 goals.

Clayton beat Keysborough by 5 goals.

Hard to take anything from praccy results. Who knows who was in and out of each side.

Last edited:
So some more practice match results from teams over the weekend.

Caufield def by Mordialloc by 60 points
Oakleigh Districts def CPL by 90 points
Springvale Districts def by Elsternwick by 20 points
Keysborough def by Clayton by 30 points

Appears Oakleigh Districts are going to be the team to be beat this Season, and also that Caufield may be more competitive than we had thought.

However looks like Keysborough and Springvale Districts may not be as powerful as we expected. Albeit only Practice games.

Haven't heard much out of Highett, anyone know how they went on the weekend?

Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you read.
;)

Tips for this Weekend?

Murrumbeena vs HAMPTON
Not a lot of noise out of either of these clubs over the pre season.
Both of these teams have pretty much kept the same lists as last year by all reports.
So on last years form.
Hampton by 30 points

Doveton vs KEYSBOROUGH
This could be the big blow out from the round.
We all know Keysborough will be strong, and Doveton's resulys haven't been great..
Keysborough by 60 points

Heatherton vs CAUFIELD
Very tough game to call, could go either way.
I think Caufield might just get over the line.
Caufield by 6 points

OAKLEIGH DISTRICTS vs Skye
At this stage i see these two clubs as the two strongest in the comp.
Think this will also be a very tight contest.
But due to Oakleigh's recruiting and form over the pre season i think they might be just too good.
Oakleigh by 10 points

Highett vs SPRINGVALE DISTRICTS
Two teams that have experienced a lot of change over the pre season.
Both of these teams could either be very strong or quite poor this year.
Springvale have recruited quite well so ill back them in, in a close one.
Springvale by 20 points

What
Tips for this Weekend?

Murrumbeena vs HAMPTON
Not a lot of noise out of either of these clubs over the pre season.
Both of these teams have pretty much kept the same lists as last year by all reports.
So on last years form.
Hampton by 30 points

Doveton vs KEYSBOROUGH
This could be the big blow out from the round.
We all know Keysborough will be strong, and Doveton's resulys haven't been great..
Keysborough by 60 points

Heatherton vs CAUFIELD
Very tough game to call, could go either way.
I think Caufield might just get over the line.
Caufield by 6 points

OAKLEIGH DISTRICTS vs Skye
At this stage i see these two clubs as the two strongest in the comp.
Think this will also be a very tight contest.
But due to Oakleigh's recruiting and form over the pre season i think they might be just too good.
Oakleigh by 10 points

Highett vs SPRINGVALE DISTRICTS
Two teams that have experienced a lot of change over the pre season.
Both of these teams could either be very strong or quite poor this year.
Springvale have recruited quite well so ill back them in, in a close one.
Springvale by 20 points

What happened to heatherton? Hot smashed by caulfield

Any Reports from games this weekend?

I saw the 2nd half of Highett vs Springvale, was a tight contest all day, with the margin never really getting above a goal either way. Was pretty impressed with both teams actually, however goal kicking for both clubs was poor, and could've cost either side the victory.
Interesting to note was that i heard all of Springvale's 11 goals came from recruits. Looks like they have recruited well, however it was the old brigade that played the best for Highett (Brown, Singh etc).

Noticed Keysborough didn't win as comfortably as we thought they would? Were behind at 3 quarter time. Anyone see that game?

Why is there so much talk of Keysborough this year? Is it because they're new to the SFL? Recruiting?

Heatherton were by no means old, fat and slow, on the contrary, they had a very young side in but were missing about 8 players. Caulfield had a few missing and looked terrific. Very fast with good foot skills. Bears could be in the top bracket this year.
Keysborough have come from a strong comp and have recruited quite well so should do well.

Back