Opinion Spectator Sportsmanship?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Watching the Hawks v Swans game and a Hawthorn supporter deliberately held on to the ball for a short while when the Hawks had kicked it out on the full. Laidler was made to wait to receive the ball for the free kick whilst old mate stared at him smiling with the ball. It wasn't long - maybe 5-7 seconds, but could have made a difference to the next forward entry from the Swans.

What are people's thoughts on that supporter? Do people in the crowd have an unwritten obligation not to interfere with the play and just give the ball back ASAP? How would you feel if it was an opposition supporter doing it to us and conversely, would you be annoyed with the person if they were from your team instead?

Nov 1, 2013
Cabal headquarters
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wouldn't dare...
Within reason, I don't have a major problem with it. Within reason meaning a few seconds. Of course I'd hate it happening against us, but we all have double standards with stuff like that. I think if the AFL has a problem with it, they should have a few spare balls scattered around the boundary to be used for this purpose and the ball can be retrieved from the crowd by a security officer after play has recommenced.

Jan 12, 2013
Tailing foxy_dal
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Ravens, Hornets, Oilers
Within reason, I don't have a major problem with it. Within reason meaning a few seconds. Of course I'd hate it happening against us, but we all have double standards with stuff like that. I think if the AFL has a problem with it, they should have a few spare balls scattered around the boundary to be used for this purpose and the ball can be retrieved from the crowd by a security officer after play has recommenced.
Similar to other codes? A couple of ball boys on each wing?

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't think that this is a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, within reason like Bluella says above. I'm much more concerned about the lack of sportsmanship from supporters constantly booing, getting far too close to Vickery last night, spitting on the players as they walk down the race, etc etc.

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
I had it happen to me in club football. It was one of those wet muddy days so when the smart arse finally dropped the ball at my feet in the mud I picked it up and threw it back at him splattering mud all over him.

...even his mates were pissing themselves :D

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Watching the Hawks v Swans game and a Hawthorn supporter deliberately held on to the ball for a short while when the Hawks had kicked it out on the full. Laidler was made to wait to receive the ball for the free kick whilst old mate stared at him smiling with the ball. It wasn't long - maybe 5-7 seconds, but could have made a difference to the next forward entry from the Swans.

What are people's thoughts on that supporter? Do people in the crowd have an unwritten obligation not to interfere with the play and just give the ball back ASAP? How would you feel if it was an opposition supporter doing it to us and conversely, would you be annoyed with the person if they were from your team instead?
The guy made a dickhead of himself. What do you expect? He's a Hawthorn supporter.

SE_Blue

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves; Meath GAA
If it was in the dying seconds of a granny and I saw that Franklin was open in the forward line, you better believe I'd be fumbling like * with that ball under my seat until I was sure Jamo had gone and manned him up.

kanye_best

Cancelled
Jul 1, 2011
Levi's Beard
AFL Club
Carlton
need to be like soccer and have ball boys along the boundary who throw a ball to the player/umpire straight away.
worry about retrieving the ball from the crowd after.

ball should have a chunk of semtex explosive rattling around in it - you wanna hang onto it the thing gets detonated remotely by the fourth umpire - u lose your hands, arms, part of your face and also get nasty stains on your trousers and as well your thermos could get damaged and u get ejected - pretty sure...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SE_Blue

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves; Meath GAA
ball should have a chunk of semtex explosive rattling around in it - you wanna hang onto it the thing gets detonated remotely by the fourth umpire - u lose your hands, arms, part of your face and also get nasty stains on your trousers and as well your thermos could get damaged and u get ejected - pretty sure...

Please.

Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton

Usually applauded for punctuation, this is a shambles.

Keep this up and you'll be doing the Horoscopes.

Shoot your Sub-Editor, then resubmit.

Azul

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 22, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
Back from tonight's game. Hawthorn are cashed up bogans, the lot of them.

Giving it to Buddy is one thing. Booing every time Goodesy went near the ball because they can't tell one indigenous player from another is disgraceful.

Oh and sooking every time a free kick is paid. :cry:

I've watched a lot of Essendon and Collingwood games over the journey; those supporters seem couth and demure by comparison.

Nov 3, 2006
Here
AFL Club
Carlton
Well, that sure escalated quickly.

Navy Cream

Club Legend
May 15, 2010
Currently where I am
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers
Happens in soccer too. Anyone remember the footage of Christian Ronaldo being denied the ball by a "ballboy" at a game not too long ago? Was quite funny actual, as if old mate was saying "You may be worth 100's of millions but I got the ball and you really really want it!"

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
You've always been soft on crime:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back