couldhavebeen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2012
success
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth lyncs
I had to work today but will try to be there on Tuesday as that is when everybody will be training for the first time this PS.
only the 1 to 4 year players there today and I've seen them train already on Saturday .
When I was talking with Hale I asked the question about ball movement and what did Hawthorn do different . He was quite open about our lack of skills and lack of quick ball movement . The most interesting thing he said was that their VFL team had to meet the same levels of Fitness and ball skills as the league team. The VFL coaches where regularly given instructions from Clarkeson about the game plan changes and told that they had to meet his requirements or they were gone .

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
I've addressed that plenty of times! When we heard we were losing coaches, I was hoping it was Suma so we could get someone new.

It'd be bloody hard for Crozier to play consistent footy at AFL level, when he's not getting AFL games consistently. I think if we've got 2 average mid-sized forwards to chose from, the younger, more skillful, more upside Crozier should be the one getting the job
If crozier fail with enough afl game time he can't blame freo for not giving him chance and put him on trade table, as for Mayne sometime a kick at the backside in peel might help him to get his kicking boots back. Crozier is at a level where AFL exposure is needed , wafl will be stopping his development , I will let him go to another Vic club if he is not given consistent afl game , if we don't plan to use him don't block his career as an AFL player.

May 13, 2014
at the footy
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Roys, Melb Stars, Gryffindor
I had to work today but will try to be there on Tuesday as that is when everybody will be training for the first time this PS.
only the 1 to 4 year players there today and I've seen them train already on Saturday .
When I was talking with Hale I asked the question about ball movement and what did Hawthorn do different . He was quite open about our lack of skills and lack of quick ball movement . The most interesting thing he said was that their VFL team had to meet the same levels of Fitness and ball skills as the league team. The VFL coaches where regularly given instructions from Clarkeson about the game plan changes and told that they had to meet his requirements or they were gone .
I watched a couple of Box Hill VFL matches this year and they do seem to play a similar game plan to the Hawks AFL side. All their listed players play their same roles too, in the same positions.

DudleyDocker

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Sounds fine to me so long as Freo adopts an offensive game plan like Hawthorn otherwise you are comparing apples with oranges. Which actually illustrates my mindset with our forward line really well. The problem isn't just the personnel, we need to add more offensive aspects to our game plan. Once that happens then the players who are scorers and those that are not will become more clear and make selections relatively simple. I keep hearing how there are all these players that would be better than Mayne but some how there is always a convenient excuse as to why they haven't shown it yet. "But Mayne's not as good as Gunston or Breust", which forward on our list is? I don't remember anyone kicking 50+ in 2015 for us, does that mean all our forwards are rubbish?
Yes. Oh, was that rhetorical? ;)

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Pistons, Glory
Spurr Dawson Ibbotson
Sutcliffe Johnson Sheridan
Hill Mundy D. Pearce
Walters Taberner Mayne
Yarran Pavlich Ballantyne
Sandilands Neale Fyfe
Barlow Bennell Griffin Crozier

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I may have missed one or two but I don't think anyone has listed Suban in our best 22.

In 2013 he played 22 games
In 2014 he played 21 games
In 2015 he played 24 games

It was reason on here that we could excuse his low numbers because he was there to block areas/players to allow the likes of Fyfe, Mundy, Neale the room to work.

To me his role isn't required. Against the lesser clubs we shouldn't have to have defensive minded roles as our top end talent should be capable of dominating of their own backs. Against the better clubs his role doesn't work as those teams have too many options to cover. The QF demostrated this, he managed 4 touches in a whole game of football and wasn't able to control any of their midfielders. The match committee must have thought the same thing because he was made the sub in the PF.

Anyway are we setting ourselves up for disappointment thinking he won't be lining.up come round 1?

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
I may have missed one or two but I don't think anyone has listed Suban in our best 22.

It was reason on here that we could excuse his low numbers because he was there to block areas/players to allow the likes of Fyfe, Mundy, Neale the room to work.

To me his role isn't required. Against the lesser clubs we shouldn't have to have defensive minded roles as our top end talent should be capable of dominating of their own backs. Against the better clubs his role doesn't work as those teams have too many options to cover. The QF demostrated this, he managed 4 touches in a whole game of football and wasn't able to control any of their midfielders. The match committee must have thought the same thing because he was made the sub in the PF.

Anyway are we setting ourselves up for disappointment thinking he won't be lining.up come round 1?
Umm let's see what he can do, maybe cover for injuries and player lost of form and play well enough to attract interested from Vic club for trade.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

I can't see us immediately switching from de Boer, Suban and Mzungu to Weller, Langdon and Grey.

captaindazza

Rookie
May 16, 2012
Right Behind You
AFL Club
Fremantle
What about for Bennell, Collins and Yarran ?

Johnson’s one of my favourites, however I’m not sure he plays tight enough to be a great key defender, whereas as a 3rd defender he’s an absolute gun.

Therefore I think Silvagni and A Pearce will battle for CHB, and Collins and Dawson for FB, with Johnno and Ibbo playing the 3rd man up and interceptor roles.

I’d much prefer S Hill on a wing, however out of all our quick and skilful guys, he seems to be the one that has played the most in defence. I’m tipping he will take over and dominate the Duffield role.

Spurr Dawson Johnson

Hill Silvagni Ibbo

Bennell Neale D Pearce

Walters Tabs Mayne

Yarran Pav Ballas

Sandi Fyfe Mundy

I/C A Pearce, Sheridan, Barlow, Clarke

Am I wrong about Johhno, can he dominate as a CHB/FB?

I have not seen Yarran play live, and I've read the posts indicating he's a mid size player that plays tall, however is he also a threat to Ballantyne's position?

couldhavebeen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2012
success
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth lyncs
OK here goes
Spurr Dawson Ibbotson
Hill Johnson Sheridan
Bennell Mundy D Pearce
Mayne A Pearce Walters
Ballantyne Pavlich Yarran
Ruck Sandilands , Fyfe , Neale
inter Sutcliffe ,Suban , Griffin ,Langdon
emerg: Silvagni Barlow
The way I see it is that RTB has to play some youth ie Langdon and A Pearce
Bennell is an upgrade for our midfield of Barlow ,De boer ,C pearce and Mzungu
Clarke would be in my team but he will have to show RTB that he is better than Griffin ,Preseason will tell us where he is at.
We didn't recruit Yarran to play for Peel .
Silvagni will be hunting for a position in the 22 so Dawson better hit the track hard if he is to be in the team.
This team has 8 midfielders in it and none are below b+
Barlow ,Crozier ,Silvagni ,Clancee , DeBoer and Mzungu will have to fight like hell to get a regular spot in the team .
They have a serious contenders in Blakley , Grey , Hughes and Weller .
Taberner is a little unlucky but he will play more Peel games this season unless he shows RTB and the selectors a whole lot of improvement
Of the new recruits Collins is a big boy so I will be keeping a close eye on his preseason .
Morabito is the name on everyone lips at training .IF he can get through preseason unscathed plus play 5 or 6 Peel games and not be too sore then all bets are off for the team to be unchanged after round 7 .
What I love about the playing list is the depth .With the developing recruits from last year and the inclusion of Bennell this year I'm already excited .
BUT Warning Warning Will Smith the danger is keeping the squad healthy and resting senior players during the season .
Our medicos MUST speak up if a player is injured and be forthright to the selectors about when he can return .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Johnson’s one of my favourites, however I’m not sure he plays tight enough to be a great key defender, whereas as a 3rd defender he’s an absolute gun.

Therefore I think Silvagni and A Pearce will battle for CHB, and Collins and Dawson for FB, with Johnno and Ibbo playing the 3rd man up and interceptor roles.

I’d much prefer S Hill on a wing, however out of all our quick and skilful guys, he seems to be the one that has played the most in defence. I’m tipping he will take over and dominate the Duffield role.

Spurr Dawson Johnson

Hill Silvagni Ibbo

Bennell Neale D Pearce

Walters Tabs Mayne

Yarran Pav Ballas

Sandi Fyfe Mundy

I have not seen Yarran play live, and I've read the posts indicating he's a mid size player that plays tall, however is he also a threat to Ballantyne's position?
Hilly's midfield goals are priceless for next season I think. We are basically going to have the same forward line as this year, we need more goals from our midfield again. Hill should be played in the front half in my opinion. Bennell, Hill, Fyfe are the three mods I want trying to get up around 20 goals next season.

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle

Spurr Dawson Johnson

Hill Silvagni Ibbo

Bennell Neale D Pearce

Walters Tabs Mayne

Yarran Pav Ballas

Sandi Fyfe Mundy

Collins is rated as a very good interceptor but also has a strong mark. I see him as a replacement for McPharlin rather than Dawson. Johnson is not a KPD and his high value to Freo is as that running back.
I can't see Silvagni keeping Alex Pearce out of the side . Collins is also ready for bigger opponents, so I can see Collins as CHB and APearce going forward. If Collins isn't ready yet, Alex Pearce will take CHB ahead of Silvagni.
This is my opinion.

captaindazza

Rookie
May 16, 2012
Right Behind You
AFL Club
Fremantle
Collins is rated as a very good interceptor but also has a strong mark. I see him as a replacement for McPharlin rather than Dawson. Johnson is not a KPD and his high value to Freo is as that running back.
I can't see Silvagni keeping Alex Pearce out of the side . Collins is also ready for bigger opponents, so I can see Collins as CHB and APearce going forward. If Collins isn't ready yet, Alex Pearce will take CHB ahead of Silvagni.
This is my opinion.

I do like the idea of Hill slicing through the backline then handballing to Bennell, who precision kicks it to Walters, who with a raft of options chooses to spot up Yarran 30m out. Goal. Rinse and repeat.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
What about for Bennell, Collins and Yarran ?
Bennell for sure, but the others I wouldn't think so. Neither will have the fitness or knowledge of the game plan. Yarran I expect to be a depth acquisition at this stage, but he can change that if he has the drive. Collins would be unlikely.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Spurr Dawson Ibbotson
A Pearce Johnson Sheridan
Bennell Mundy Hill
Mayne Taberner Walters
Ballantyne Pavlich Weller

inter Sutcliffe , D Pearce, Griffin , Barlow

Emergency Suban, Langdon, Silvagni

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Spurr Dawson Ibbotson
A Pearce Johnson Sheridan
Bennell Mundy Hill
Mayne Taberner Walters
Ballantyne Pavlich Weller

inter Sutcliffe , D Pearce, Griffin , Barlow

Emergency Suban, Langdon, Silvagni

Pretty much agree with this line up. I'd personally like to see Langdon in for DPearce but I understand that it's unlikely to happen, initially anyway.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Pretty much agree with this line up. I'd personally like to see Langdon in for DPearce but I understand that it's unlikely to happen, initially anyway.
Yes I would like to see that too, and I am in the group that are beginning to question Barlow. If Blakely comes on and if Mora succeeds in his recovery watch out.

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bennell for sure, but the others I wouldn't think so. Neither will have the fitness or knowledge of the game plan. Yarran I expect to be a depth acquisition at this stage, but he can change that if he has the drive. Collins would be unlikely.

We wouldn't pick up a 26 year old to be a reserve. Yarran has been playing against men also.
Collins is mature age also and big and mobile.
So, Yarran and Collins would be the only new recruits I can see being a selection chance in RD 1.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Out of our new additions, Bennell and Yarran will be in the B22 at Round 1. Based on the last squad we fielded, I'm thinking Suban and Mayne out for them.

This is what I think will realistically happen with the youngsters this year:

Weller, Apeness and Smith to get 5+ games.
Langdon, Collins, Hannath and Hughes to get 3-5 games.

I think 3 of the 7 could cement their spot in permanently based on performance. Sure have the potential to do so.

Tucker and Balic debut also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back