Analysis Speculation best team in 2016: List & depth analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

We wouldn't pick up a 26 year old to be a reserve. Yarran has been playing against men also.
Collins is mature age also and big and mobile.
So, Yarran and Collins would be the only new recruits I can see being a selection chance in RD 1.
I am not saying he won't play, but I do not expect him to walk into best 22. Cats picked up Menagola but I don't expect him to be an automatic inclusion. We regularly have Ballantyne out for various reasons and Crozier is yet to establish himself.

Out of our new additions, Bennell and Yarran will be in the B22 at Round 1. Based on the last squad we fielded, I'm thinking Suban and Mayne out for them.

This is what I think will realistically happen with the youngsters this year:

Weller, Apeness and Smith to get 5+ games.
Langdon, Collins, Hannath and Hughes to get 3-5 games.

I think 3 of the 7 could cement their spot in permanently based on performance. Sure have the potential to do so.

Tucker and Balic debut also.
Wow, that strategy reads like a rebuild. Totally different to how we have operated in recent years.

Collins is rated as a very good interceptor but also has a strong mark. I see him as a replacement for McPharlin rather than Dawson. Johnson is not a KPD and his high value to Freo is as that running back.
I can't see Silvagni keeping Alex Pearce out of the side . Collins is also ready for bigger opponents, so I can see Collins as CHB and APearce going forward. If Collins isn't ready yet, Alex Pearce will take CHB ahead of Silvagni.
This is my opinion.

I though he did quite well at it last year. I can't remember anyone beating him in the first 9 rounds when we only played two tall defenders in Johnson and McPharlin (and Pearce covering him for 2 games). This also seemed to allow us more good kicks coming out of the backline allowing for faster rebounding.

I though he did quite well at it last year. I can't remember anyone beating him in the first 9 rounds when we only played two tall defenders in Johnson and McPharlin (and Pearce covering him for 2 games). This also seemed to allow us more good kicks coming out of the backline allowing for faster rebounding.
Agree. Our team looked so much better when Johnson was in it. He is just so flexible - can go one-on-one against forwards of various shapes and sizes, step in to intercept mark and imo easily our best run and carry out of defence. Whomever we have lined up to take his place in the coming year or so has some massive shoes to fill. I don't think we have a direct replacement on our list for him yet. Suspect we'll probably split up his roles and play two traditional KPDs (eg A.Pearce and Collins eventually) and leave the run and carry out of defence to a smaller half back flanker like Tucker instead.

Spurr Dawson Ibbotson
A Pearce Johnson Sheridan
Bennell Mundy Hill
Mayne Taberner Walters
Ballantyne Pavlich Weller
Ruck Sandilands , Fyfe , Neale

inter Sutcliffe , D Pearce, Griffin , Barlow

Emergency Suban, Langdon, Silvagni

Yeah, I like that team as well.

Just hard to see the coach going into a game without both Suban and DeBoer. Who do you see as playing the run with role or creating space for Fyfe (or looking after his man when he is chasing the ball)?

B Sutcliffe A.Pearce Tucker
HB Balic Collins Sheridan
C Bennell Fyfe Hill
HF Crozier Uebergang Walters
F Yarran Taberner Apeness
FOL Clarke Blakely Neale
I/C Morabito Weller Langdon Nyhuis

Our team in 2018. Probably need 1 more KPD, hopefully Tanner makes it.
Yeah hoping he or Hurley will make it as well. Also didn't speculate about a KPF we might trade in, in the next two years that rhymes with either Rogan or Stack Barthy. Main thing is our new cult hero Uebergang shifting forward and becoming our next Pav. Fantasy perhaps but it'd be the best football story ever :)

Out of our new additions, Bennell and Yarran will be in the B22 at Round 1. Based on the last squad we fielded, I'm thinking Suban and Mayne out for them.

I think 3 of the 7 could cement their spot in permanently based on performance. Sure have the potential to do so.

No love for Brady Gray? I thought he looked one of our best in the game against Port...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Blakely?

Grey at the moment is sound backup for Spurr, but until he seriously improves his disposal that's what he remains - backup.
I think grey will be pushing for selection . don't see sutcliffe disposal that good when he first started in afl , I think take him nearly end of season to see improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back