Delisted Spencer White

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering he kicked 3 and could have easily taken about 5 more marks in his first game and could have extremely easily kicked 3 the following week as well (we missed him a couple of times when he was free inside 50), I'm hoping that he'll play at least 10 games for us this year, with an actual preseason under his belt and kick at least 15-18 goals, hopefully 20+. The only thing is that he could face hot competition for a spot from the likes of Bruce, Lee, McCartin and Membrey, so he probably won't be "gifted" too many games, like he otherwise might have been in this sort of situation.

Considering he kicked 3 and could have easily taken about 5 more marks in his first game and could have extremely easily kicked 3 the following week as well (we missed him a couple of times when he was free inside 50), I'm hoping that he'll play at least 10 games for us this year, with an actual preseason under his belt and kick at least 15-18 goals, hopefully 20+. The only thing is that he could face hot competition for a spot from the likes of Bruce, Lee, McCartin and Membrey, so he probably won't be "gifted" too many games, like he otherwise might have been in this sort of situation.

Membrey's debut didn't quite go that well.
Lee has done it a couple of times though, so pressure is on.

Spencer took a nice contested mark... And kicked a couple do 'Joe the gooses'

But aside from those few touches

I thought his debut game was understandably average... For most part he was struggling to impact or defend his opponent (Chaplin led the disposals at one point) but he did take his opportunities though...

Hopefully he has an impact this year... Now Stanley is gone he has become an important prospect. His engine and ethic onfield must improve.

One thing that is clear is that Spencer White is a tantalising prospect. For some of us that means we are genuinely excited. Others are frustrated that his development has not been as quick as Dunstan, Billings or even a young Riewoldt. But I think we can all see the potential...that glimmer of natural full forward talent that takes an entire childhood to acquire. A good pair of hands, an accurate shot for goal, pace to burn, exudes confidence, I think Spence is starting from a high benchmark. The only issue is the tank. And I think most would agree that investing four to five years in developing that would be worth the risk.

Also, I think kicking to the advantage of Spencer is slightly different to kicking to the advantage of Lee, Membrey, McCartin because of the extra gear he can find. It will take hundreds of hours of game day and match simulation before our midfield starts to intuitively understand the difference and hit him up with a kick that allows him to make full use of his pace.

I for one am a fan. Lock him up Bainsy, I say.

I'd be over the moon with 10+ games and around 18+ goals. Kind of over him playing in the VFL TBH, as long as he's doing all the right things at training etc I'd be playing him in the Saints team.

He's a very big shy soft kid at the moment. If you meet him he looks like he struggles with the attention. He's one that will grow into a man and realise his massive potential. I remember meeting G Train when he first moved to the Saints and he had a similar temperament. His motivation is not that of some of the guys who absolutely love footy IMO and will need management to stay focussed but his ceiling is ridiculously high.

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about White:

Played 11 games for Sandy and averaged just 11 disposals and 5 marks (2 i50). Kicked 18 goals but only kicked multiple goals in 3 games.

Was only involved in 22% of Sandy's scoring chains - ranked 11th at the club.

2015: More of this

E8x9lRH.png

One thing that is clear is that Spencer White is a tantalising prospect. For some of us that means we are genuinely excited. Others are frustrated that his development has not been as quick as Dunstan, Billings or even a young Riewoldt. But I think we can all see the potential...that glimmer of natural full forward talent that takes an entire childhood to acquire. A good pair of hands, an accurate shot for goal, pace to burn, exudes confidence, I think Spence is starting from a high benchmark. The only issue is the tank. And I think most would agree that investing four to five years in developing that would be worth the risk.

Also, I think kicking to the advantage of Spencer is slightly different to kicking to the advantage of Lee, Membrey, McCartin because of the extra gear he can find. It will take hundreds of hours of game day and match simulation before our midfield starts to intuitively understand the difference and hit him up with a kick that allows him to make full use of his pace.

I for one am a fan. Lock him up Bainsy, I say.

Work in progress .
As for gifting him games in AFL to me is wrong way with him for me.
Needs to earn his spot still learning what it takes to make it.
Lee , McCartin , Membrey are the same need to earn their spot too and there's no ceiling for any of them.

Think his a while off, he has the talent but does he have the mindset.
It's more competitive for positions and will only get harder over the next few years. At the moment we have Riewoldt, Membry, McCartin, Lee, White and can even put Markworth in there, as well as maybe a second ruckman, going for taller forward roles. For any one of them it's not really the time to be slack, not with the direction the club is heading in.
Hope he does make it though!

hows he looking guys? remember thinking in his draft year you guys got an absolute bargain in the 2nd round, with his only major concern being lack of endurance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hows he looking guys? remember thinking in his draft year you guys got an absolute bargain in the 2nd round, with his only major concern being lack of endurance
Sadly he is struggling in the reserves and reserves 2nds..

Now living in Perth, has a part-time job as a Personal Trainer, his Gumtree ad mentions that he's a former Saints player and is passionate about fitness. Now playing WAFL with Perth Demons, this year averaging 8 touches a game. In 5 games, has kicked 12 goals

Now living in Perth, has a part-time job as a Personal Trainer, his Gumtree ad mentions that he's a former Saints player and is passionate about fitness. Now playing WAFL with Perth Demons, this year averaging 8 touches a game. In 5 games, has kicked 12 goals
Had a lot of athletic gifts. Sounds like he had a work ethic issue, which is a shame because he had a bucketload of talent.

Hope everything turns out good for him and he finds what he is looking for

Remove this Banner Ad

Back