Spuds that earned your respect

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, the drink was a problem of his, which was rectified somewhat at the lions.

He was never a spud. He was a gun at Melbourne in his first year.

He was a pisshead though.

He showed a lot of heart the day he was forced to play 2 full games though.
That was rough, I admit. Still an average state league player though. I wouldn't mind him in our VFL side, but that's it.

Spud behaviour mate. He cleaned up his act a became part of a team unit at the Lions.

"Spud behaviour" is a new one on me.

He was part of a team unit at North too.

He was part of a team unit at North too.
Look fair enough, he came from my Sanfl Team Norwood so I have followed him. He earned my respect after cleaning up his act with the drink as you mentioned. He managed to turn it around and lengthen his career.

That was rough, I admit. Still an average state league player though. I wouldn't mind him in our VFL side, but that's it.

In the few games he played for us last year he didn't do allot wrong and added composure to the back half.

In the few games he played for us last year he didn't do allot wrong and added composure to the back half.
He was defensively poor and had quite a few turnovers.

He was defensively poor and had quite a few turnovers.

If the only game you watched was a dead rubber where we got flogged by Hawthorn then yes. But defensively he went alright this year and barely turned it over. Had 100% disposal efficiency one game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drew Petrie.

Remember getting into it with a North supporting mate about how "Dish" wasnt even worthy of carrying Justin Koschitzke's laundry bag.

Has ended up a very good forward/ruck for the Roo's.

Either way, you are saying that he earned your respect in the same year that he was delisted and re-rookied. That sort of suggests that he's still a bit of a spud.

If he wasn't re rookied he'd be a spud but he was re rookied.

A player that was definitely not a spud, but one that I mistook for one was Brad Johnson.
He wasn't big, without blistering speed & skills which weren't silky in the traditional sense.
I thought that he was very average.
I was soooo wrong.
He was a champ & I'm admitting my mistake

I know the OP said there are no wrong answers but I reckon this nomination misses the mark completely. Yeah he went in the PSD, but he's excelled from pretty much his first game in the AFL system. Nominating Rockliff is like nominating James Hird because he was pick 79.

gspcp.jpg

His numbers for Bushrangers were very good too. It was the two broken legs that stopped him going sooner

For me seeing Tom Lonergan fall over his own feet in the 2008 grand final I thought this guy better have a career outside of Footy.
He’s developed into a 2 time premiership player who I now have to respect. One of the only players who seem to have the edge on Franklin every time they played.
That was actually Harry Taylor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back