Spuds that earned your respect

Remove this Banner Ad

Funnily enough, Tom Lonergan is the only player I can think of.

I either seem to rate these so called 'spuds' before most others catch on, or the players I do think are spuds remain just that.

It also depends on a persons definition of what constitutes a spud.

Have your AIDS flared up?

When was Fletcher a spud?

I thought he was top notch - right from the word go

Went to a Geel v Ess game in 1993 down at Geelong - i think it was Fletchers 1st year - and he was still a school boy - he played full back on Ablett Snr- in the 3rd qtr - the Geelong runner came out - and Ablett was moved to a half forward flank - to get away from Fletcher - and his telescopic arms

Ted Richards has ended up churning out a respectable career after looking every bit the spud early on.
You could say the same about Rhyce Shaw's development since he moved to Sydney. Even Shaw admits that his form was up and down at the Pies. Was hoping we would have a look at him when he moved North.

Boak. Was an up and coming player that showed some brief glimpses of being a good player. Port were s**t and he wanted out but Port gave him an offer to good to refuse and he stayed. Didn't piss around and wait for the contract to expire so he can go home to mummy but instead worked hard and is now one of the reasons Port Adelaide are were they are now.

Guys like Tommy Logan are not fantastic footballers, but what they lack in ability, they make up with sheer guts & determination.

It's those blokes who, despite a lack of natural ability, still make it to play 50 or 100 AFL games, they have my utmost admiration & respect.

Teddy Richards - Him becoming a handy third tall after Sydney instilled some confidence in him

He simply matured and became a good player. Essendon had him in his development years, Sydney got him on the rise.

My nomination is Taylor Duryea. Never thought he would become a solid key part of our first 22, let alone a premiership player, then he went to half-back at Box Hill and became the Guerra replacement for us.

That was actually Harry Taylor.

Yep, it was.

Lonners and Taylor were both pretty average. Now Lonergan is a solid player and Taylor is a gun. Both needed time to really kick on.

Alex Rance for me. Thought he was a complete spud but he's now an extremely reliable player. He's come a long way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree not even Sydney fans would have picked his rise AA FB standard.

That's a different conversation to whether Sydney got him to be a handy third tall which was what was said. Ted was a Pick 27 KPP so there's no surprise that he got good at some point.

Mark Jamar - hated his first few years, then it clicked. Going to seed now that he's old, but still.

Honorable mention for Jobe The Asterisk

Guerra. Played a bit like a spud before coming to the Hawks and becoming pretty much the number 1 small defender in the league for a couple of years.

His head looked a bit like a spud before coming to the Hawks and rectifying that with some treatment too ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back