St Kilda 2014-15 Offseason

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
Another massive year for the Saints.

Last year we brought 11 players into the club. The year before we brought in 10, in 2011 it was 12. Similar numbers expected this time around. By the start of next season we'll have 35+ players on the list who are new since our last finals "campaign"/meek exit.

Retirements
Lenny Hayes (though there wasn't much publicity so you might have missed it)
Beau Maister

Delistings
Trent Dennis-Lane
Sam Dunell
James Gwilt
Clinton Jones

Wants Back to SA
Terry Milera (has a contract but he'll probably walk away if he doesn't get a trade)

Chopping Block
Dylan Roberton
Adam Schneider (fair chance to retire)
Tom Simpkin
Arryn Siposs

Potential Trades
Leigh Montagna
a young ruckman (we have too many in the same age bracket)

Picks
1, 21, 39, 58 (at it stands, before compensation etc)

Petracca or McCartin?
Saints fans are split. Personally I think our future midfield is lacking in star power so Petracca is a no-brainer. But we don't want to end up like the Dogs 08-10 with a strong midfield and no-one to kick it to - and we all know big guys take longer. My plan would be to stack the midfield in the next few years and grab a star KPF as FA when we're building again. Patton, Cameron, the good Tom Lynch, etc.

Trade Pick 1?
That said, I don't think we're in love with pick 1. Chris Pelchen loves to do a deal so something like 1 for Jaksch+O'Rourke+3 has been mooted. Sounds pretty heavily in our favour. I think that would only happen if GWS really loved Petracca or were desperate for a top mid rather than a tall, with Petracca and Brayshaw a chance for 1 and 2 leaving GWS with more KPFs to pick from. If Melbourne get pick 3 for Frawley that makes the "no more top mids" scenario much more likely.

I don't know much about Jaksch and O'Rourke, I'd actually prefer pick 1 for something like 7+16+GC player. Have to be pretty good steak knives to make that deal workable though.

Trade Joey Montagna?
He's 31 in a couple of months and getting tagged every week isn't helping his legacy. If someone offers us a late first-round pick this is a no-brainer - but I can't really see it happening. No-one should pay that price for a 31 year old, and a pick post 30 isn't enough for us to let him go. Maybe North's pick 12 for Joey and our pick 21, at a stretch? If they really think they're contenders (I don't) then they might do it.

Bottom line: we're at rock bottom and will be for a while. Make us an offer!

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Id look at Roberton, showed good signs as that rangy tall back flanker type in 2013.

Montagna wont have much currency.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
Id look at Roberton, showed good signs as that rangy tall back flanker type in 2013.

You've got 8, 28, 46, 65 at present. 28 is too much. 65 is too little. 46 would be about right. We're likely to use five picks so that one's in the money for us even assuming we pick up another in the top 20.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
You've got 8, 28, 46, 65 at present. 28 is too much. 65 is too little. 46 would be about right. We're likely to use five picks so that one's in the money for us even assuming we pick up another in the top 20.
Id give up 46 for Roberton, handy player.

I usually see him hit all his targets, but are his kicks penetrating?

hughjanus

Draftee
Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Id give up 46 for Roberton, handy player.

I usually see him hit all his targets, but are his kicks penetrating?

Not really penetrating, but decent enough. Has composure, accuracy, and footy smarts. The problem is he did his ankle late last year and he hasn't got the same mobility and agility as he did throughout 2013. I don't think anyone would give much up for Roberton due to this, and I think Saints wouldn't take 46 as they are looking at quality. It would be much safer for the Saints to keep him due to his height, is around the age bracket we need, his dash, run and poise. He was one of our best players until he got injured. Will be kept for next 1-2 years to see if he can shrug off his injury.

I could only see him going as steak knives tbh

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Roberton isn't on the trade table.
Yeah, I wouldn't have thought so! Was a bit of "revelation" in the first 2/3 of his first season with us in 2013, but then apparently started to have some issues with his ankle in the latter part of the season, which then went really badly on him in the last game of the year (yet he still came 10th in the B&F) and this year was pretty much a write-off, as he had to have his ankle fused and that can apparently take up to two years to get used to, once you've learned how to run again. So he probably struggled as much as was expected this year, but will hopefully benefit greatly from a full preseason (if he has one) this year and I'd expect him to be much closer to his top-10-in-the-B&F best again next year.

Ok, here's one from left field...

What would you want for Jack Steven?

I would have thought he was untouchable, but then I had Mcevoy in that category last year.

That was you 'cashing in' a super promising 24yo so you could hit the draft harder. Would you do it again?

Would Carlton's pick 6 be in the right ballpark?

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

I would have thought he was untouchable, but then I had Mcevoy in that category last year.

That was you 'cashing in' a super promising 24yo so you could hit the draft harder. Would you do it again?

I do think, unfortunately, the scenarios are a little different.

McEvoy was hurting the Saints in a way, as their weak midfield was further weakened by his ruckwork. He's a good player on his day, but there is a reason Hale and Ceglar look to be ahead of him now.

Steven is their best midfielder (H2H with Montagna) and won't be given up for pick 6, no matter how much I want him to be.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United

Doubt it.
Hickey had already over taken McEvoy last year, that's why we cashed him in and despite people on here and talk back blasting us for that trade I'd say we are clearly in front at this stage.
Steven however is super vital to us, will be 28 when we are hopefully next contending so it'd take a huge trade to take him away from seaford.

Manimal_Dunstan

Cancelled
10k Posts
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jack Steven has apparently extended his contract anyway and expected to be announced as part of the saints future fest they're doing.

No chance he'll be traded.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda

You only need a few rucks in the squad and we already had Hickey and Pierce, with a chance at Longer. So McEvoy was (relatively) surplus to requirements.

On the other hand, a good team needs a lot of mids. Jack won a B&F and is by far our best going forward. 25 at the start of next season so coming into his prime. If all goes well he'll be a 200+ game veteran when we're in the finals again, pretty handy to have around.

That said everyone's for sale at the right price. Pick 6 is not enough, especially in this draft. 3 and 20 from GWS or 7 and 14 from GC might be closer. Add steak knives and there's definitely a deal there.

But obviously no-one's giving up two first round picks, that's only happened a couple of times ever for a single player: Ottens and Barry Hall.

Yep, all the responses to my hypothetical seem fair enough.

I wasn't trying to undersell jack or suggest he wouldn't cost a pretty penny.

Only thing I will add is that he could be close to 30 by the time you are up and about again (not trying to troll) and the club looks like it is deliberately pushing the window out further to allow a ground up rebuild through kids. Almost gws style (granted I'm probably reading too much into last draft).

Steven is the exact kind of mid ager you need to lead while kids are developing, but some clubs lose sight of that in search of rebuild...

But overall, I accept that big Ben and Jack are probably different cases.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Sep 7, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Mount Buller Demons
Yep, all the responses to my hypothetical seem fair enough.

I wasn't trying to undersell jack or suggest he wouldn't cost a pretty penny.

Only thing I will add is that he could be close to 30 by the time you are up and about again (not trying to troll) and the club looks like it is deliberately pushing the window out further to allow a ground up rebuild through kids. Almost gws style (granted I'm probably reading too much into last draft).

Steven is the exact kind of mid ager you need to lead while kids are developing, but some clubs lose sight of that in search of rebuild...

But overall, I accept that big Ben and Jack are probably different cases.

Thanks to all for the responses.

I think StKilda would be more interested if you threw Bell in. 6 and Bell would prick the ears of even the most staunch saints supporter.

Saints are then don't have the need to take Petracca. They get McCartin and either Brayshaw, DeGoey, Lavarde or Weller.

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think StKilda would be more interested if you threw Bell in. 6 and Bell would prick the ears of even the most staunch saints supporter.

Saints are then don't have the need to take Petracca. They get McCartin and either Brayshaw, DeGoey, Lavarde or Weller.

Bell and 6 for Jack Steven?
lol

ST_JBC

Draftee
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

After what Mick Malthouse said to Milne a few years ago the chance of any Saints player going to play for him is 100/1...

Jan 26, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne United
Good summary.

West Coast will be fairly inactive so unlikely to be any trades between the two of us.

West Coast has shown themselves to be not the easiest club to deal with, so I doubt there will be any trades between the clubs.

(I understand West Coast's position, but our trading with Hawthorn etc has been win-win.)

Jan 26, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne United
Hallahan for St Kildas 3rd?

Would be interested in Hallahan, not sure if for third round pick though.

Shows promise, but doubt he is going to break into Hawthorn's team anytime soon, so might leave for more opportunity.

From the Peninsula as well.

Back