List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just on geary he is another I wont be upset to see go elswhere. Another kicking liability we need to slowly weed these guys out of our list. If geelong are super keen on him fixing a problem with there list then you would think a round 2 draft pick would not be out of the question.

Hey guys,

Sorry for intruding - just thought I would come on and have a look at what Saints fans are hoping for in the off-season this year (I must say - it is almost identical to the dogs trade thread haha - MISSION to try and find a key forward!!).

After your proactive trade period last year to try and get high draft picks - do you think you guys will be doing something similar again this year? I must say - you certainly have the cattle who are in the late 20's that will certainly appeal to sides on the verge of a premiership.
-Leigh Montagna
-Sam Gilbert
-Sean Dempster
-Sam Fisher

Do you think you will try and offload any of these players this year to try get more out of the draft?

Cheers.

Take all of them and give us Macrae!

Hey guys,

Sorry for intruding - just thought I would come on and have a look at what Saints fans are hoping for in the off-season this year (I must say - it is almost identical to the dogs trade thread haha - MISSION to try and find a key forward!!).

After your proactive trade period last year to try and get high draft picks - do you think you guys will be doing something similar again this year? I must say - you certainly have the cattle who are in the late 20's that will certainly appeal to sides on the verge of a premiership.
-Leigh Montagna
-Sam Gilbert
-Sean Dempster
-Sam Fisher

Do you think you will try and offload any of these players this year to try get more out of the draft?

Cheers.
I hope we can off load one of them to improve out position in the draft as long as we can get something decent. I'd be happy if we went into the draft with a 1st rounder, two 2nd rounders and a third.

Just on geary he is another I wont be upset to see go elswhere. Another kicking liability we need to slowly weed these guys out of our list. If geelong are super keen on him fixing a problem with there list then you would think a round 2 draft pick would not be out of the question.

If we could get a second round draft pick if take that in a heart beat.

I think it is a handy coincidence Gilbo may be back to showcase his talents for the Suns.

He's done it a couple of times before. Straight in last year after a long layoff, doesn't seem to bother him.
Apart from that whole, immediately-reinjuring-himself thing.

Had a thought. Assume we get pick 1 and look at McCartin or Petracca and then pick 21, and the bonus of first pick in the PSD. Is this a better deal than dealing with GWS on the following basis;

What GWS Has to offer us; Probably Pick 4 and I reckon they will not trade Paton or Boyd but may consider Cameron after the average year he has had. They may consider Shiel as well.

What do we have; going forward I think that Gwilt, Geary and Gilbert cannot all fit in a future backline. If anybody will have them under FA or trade is questionable I assume the best we will get is a third round and as a result, I cannot see GWS wanting one of these players (may be wrong) so therefore how do we feel about trading Pick 1 & 21 and getting Cameron/Shiel and Pick 4.

Had a thought. Assume we get pick 1 and look at McCartin or Petracca and then pick 21, and the bonus of first pick in the PSD. Is this a better deal than dealing with GWS on the following basis;

What GWS Has to offer us; Probably Pick 4 and I reckon they will not trade Paton or Boyd but may consider Cameron after the average year he has had. They may consider Shiel as well.

What do we have; going forward I think that Gwilt, Geary and Gilbert cannot all fit in a future backline. If anybody will have them under FA or trade is questionable I assume the best we will get is a third round and as a result, I cannot see GWS wanting one of these players (may be wrong) so therefore how do we feel about trading Pick 1 & 21 and getting Cameron/Shiel and Pick 4.

cameron and shiel will command pick 1 and then something else like a player. with nothing else coming back our way

cameron and shiel will command pick 1 and then something else like a player. with nothing else coming back our way

Yup. I reckon we steer clear from players such as those two. We'll only get rorted at the trade table. Lets focus on the less desirables like Bruce, Savage and Delaney last year and develop our own high quality guys from the draft and watch all the other clubs get into a bidding war over Shiel, Cameron etc. and pay way overs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So okay how do we get an extra pick realistically in the top 20?

Or do we just leave it to Beaver or in this case a Pelican to pluck out 4 very good unloved players, such as Mav, Bruce, Delaney and Eli. This time round a couple of good outside runners would be a bonus.

What about Jakesch is he worth going at and what would we have to give to get. Pick 21 straight swap is probably unders is it not?

So okay how do we get an extra pick realistically in the top 20?

Or do we just leave it to Beaver or in this case a Pelican to pluck out 4 very good unloved players, such as Mav, Bruce, Delaney and Eli. This time round a couple of good outside runners would be a bonus.

What about Jakesch is he worth going at and what would we have to give to get. Pick 21 straight swap is probably unders is it not?

I like Jaksch but I wouldn't be giving up pick 21 for him. Jaksch was picked at selection 12 - which is more like selection 20 when you figure in the concessions GWS got and the mini-draft. That gives us an idea of his rating back then and he hasn't done anything to justify improving from that position. Even with our third round pick we may identify better talent than Jaksch. I recommend obtaining him in the PSD or passing.

I like Jaksch but I wouldn't be giving up pick 21 for him. Jaksch was picked at selection 12 - which is more like selection 20 when you figure in the concessions GWS got and the mini-draft. That gives us an idea of his rating back then and he hasn't done anything to justify improving from that position. Even with our third round pick we may identify better talent than Jaksch. I recommend obtaining him in the PSD or passing.

+1 here. psd all the way. * em

Got to agree with you Coops.. Gears has a huge ticker but his foot disposal consistently let's him down..No good when the heat is on, though his desire is hard to replace..Shenton/Webster/Wright can fill his role moving forward..With first dibs in the PSD, we can force their hand..
Prefer Kersten or a Horlin-Smith, but i'm keeping it real for now..
A realistic trade might be along the lines of Mitch Brown & their 3rd pick.. Actually kicked 3 in the first rd this year, so his versatility is another asset. Pre-season should be focused on his strength conditioning as he needs to add another 4-5 kgs to his frame, & he'll be a 10-15% better player.. A 3rd pick via FA compo will only deliver around pick 40, so you package Brown with their 3rd pick which is likely to be around the late 40's..Brown would replace Maister offering more upside, with worst case scenario depth & insurance to our KF & KD post's for the next few years..But like Delaney he could rise to the occasion if given the opportunity..

Geelong wont be offering any sort of trade deal for Geary. He can walk for nothing as an unrestricted Free Agent.

If the AFL are going to give us pick 40 we should take it and be thankful. More than the Hawks got for Tom Murphy and Clinton Young.

I'd be surprised if we didn't get a 2nd round compo pick for Gears if he leaves. I doubt he'd be leaving on a 2 or 3 year contract (Murphy 2, Young 3) and I would think he would be after a 4 or 5 year deal and it wont be less money than we are paying him. Chaplin got Port a 2nd round compo on a 4 year deal so I think the AFL will be more than happy to give us a 2nd.

Geelong wont be offering any sort of trade deal for Geary. He can walk for nothing as an unrestricted Free Agent.

If the AFL are going to give us pick 40 we should take it and be thankful. More than the Hawks got for Tom Murphy and Clinton Young.
That throws a spanner into any trade being an unrestricted FA. If we gain pick 40 that'll be a bonus considering the Hawks received zip for Young..

Out-of-contract Geary, who turned 26 last month, is an unrestricted free agent.

He has not played for the Saints since Round 7 when he injured elbow during his 100th AFL match.

And there is speculation the Cats are considering offering the tough defender a lucrative deal to lure him down the highway.

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/news/...-agent-jarryn-geary/5lfq17ld9s0m1mpenowu00xai

Well, if true sounds like we could be getting a handy compo pick. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back