List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out-of-contract Geary, who turned 26 last month, is an unrestricted free agent.

He has not played for the Saints since Round 7 when he injured elbow during his 100th AFL match.

And there is speculation the Cats are considering offering the tough defender a lucrative deal to lure him down the highway.

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/news/...-agent-jarryn-geary/5lfq17ld9s0m1mpenowu00xai

Well, if true sounds like we could be getting a handy compo pick. :)

6 years on 700k for a 1st round compo pick please. :D:p

He has not played for the Saints since Round 7 when he injured elbow during his 100th AFL match.

And there is speculation the Cats are considering offering the tough defender a lucrative deal to lure him down the highway.

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/news/...-agent-jarryn-geary/5lfq17ld9s0m1mpenowu00xai

That article is a piece of s**t. Not one single quote, all it said was the manager wouldn't answer any questions. Who ever wrote it probably got the story off here. Next!

That article is a piece of s**t. Not one single quote, all it said was the manager wouldn't answer any questions. Who ever wrote it probably got the story off here. Next!

If pick 21 or 22 is the trade off, that softens the blow.. Throw in a priority pick at the end of rd 1 the AFL will approve post-season, we'll finish up with picks 1 or 2, & 20, 21, 22..

if we were just looking at football ability and put leadership/development aside, i think we'd all be stoked with an early second rounder
Yep, said it in another thread but out of all our "older" type players Geary IMO is the easiest to replace.

He offers leadership so what, we'll probably have Fisher (perhaps for 2015), Gilbert only 29 next year, Dempster will still be around you'd think for at least another 2 years and so on, in that time Wright, Webster and so on who play down back should be hitting the 50+ games mark and becoming better leaders themselves.

If pick 21 or 22 is the trade off, that softens the blow.. Throw in a priority pick at the end of rd 1 the AFL will approve post-season, we'll finish up with picks 1 or 2, & 20, 21, 22..

i cant see a priority pick happening. how could we get one when we have the same amount of wins as brisbane, gws etc. when they have spent more time down the bottom of the ladder than us?

That's payback to McGuire for bending the AFL over recently, with the introduction of the tax on the rich clubs recently (Equalisation)
Once again the AFL caved in to Eddie, when he turned on the waterworks.. Didn't go far enough, when you include the disgraceful deal we have with Etihad taken into account..

Geelong accuses AFL of caving in to Magpie-led campaign on equalisation

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/geelong-accuses-afl-of-caving-in-to-magpieled-campaign-on-equalisation-20140617-zsaw3.html#ixzz38OHqdKxg

Last edited:
The AFL will not like Geary leaving the saints. They had some utopian ideal they thought would happen where the bottom clubs could poach guys on the fringes of the top clubs. So far the opposite has happened and St Kilda will look like they have been savaged by free agency. Losing Dal, Goddard and Geary doesn't look like their model. It looks like the way smaller clubs will compound their place at the bottom. I think it could mean that the discretion of AFL will be used in the future to find a stronger compensation model for teams at the bottom of the ladder. For example giving a start of second round pick for a player like Geary when they go to a bigger club or some way to tax a club at the top of the ladder when they top up or even a model where only one free agent can be taken per club in the top 8.

The AFL will not like Geary leaving the saints. They had some utopian ideal they thought would happen where the bottom clubs could poach guys on the fringes of the top clubs. So far the opposite has happened and St Kilda will look like they have been savaged by free agency. Losing Dal, Goddard and Geary doesn't look like their model. It looks like the way smaller clubs will compound their place at the bottom. I think it could mean that the discretion of AFL will be used in the future to find a stronger compensation model for teams at the bottom of the ladder. For example giving a start of second round pick for a player like Geary when they go to a bigger club or some way to tax a club at the top of the ladder when they top up or even a model where only one free agent can be taken per club in the top 8.
Very outside chance, but that perception might actually influence them to extend a PP our way.

We've certainly copped the rawest end of FA from an outside perspective.

To be fair we probably could have matched those offers and kept both players but we chose to free up money in the cap and take the draft picks, getting rid of older players and bringing in youth. I think you'll see more and more clubs in our situation let experienced players go to FA for the exact same reason.

I say outside perspective because when you simplify the player and pick swapping I think FA has actually been good for us in the long term.

Goddard leaving netted us Tom Lee, Nathan Wright and Josh Saunders; Dal got us Billy Longer and Josh Bruce; and McEvoy landed us Shane Savage and Luke Dunstan. Not to mention the Dal goodwill substantially got us Luke Delaney.

That's four Best 22 players (Dunstan, Savage, Delaney, Wright) and a further four Best 25 types.

More pointedly, it's hastened the rejuvenation of our list significantly, something in a lot of ways that's more useful than the individual performances the former players would have provided.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dal leaving gets us Longer, can see the connection to getting Delaney, how do we get Bruce out of that?

In a round about way. We didn't have to give up an earlier pick to get Delaney. As well as using the pick from the Longer trade (swap of picks) to get Bruce.

I don't know if that's a connection or not now :/

Jeez Pelchen and co. make it difficult to discuss trades. They're all so entwined and all over the place.

Dal leaving gets us Longer, can see the connection to getting Delaney, how do we get Bruce out of that?
It's a flow-on effect thing.

The Dal compo pick was #25... Picks #25 and #41 were traded to Brisbane for Longer and #48, with which we picked up Bruce.

Simples.

o_O

I'm leaning towards Geary staying, unless the club forces him out
If Gears got us a pick around the 30s for a Dillon Vojo-Rainbow or Harrison Wigg (elite kicking) or a Billy Evans (big-bodied hardnut mid) then I'd take it and run.

Better yet, it might give us an extra pick with which to take a punt on one of the talented short people, Jake Johansen or Caleb Daniel, without otherwise losing out on a pick.

Haha beat me to it! Hopefully this will get the thread back on track!
You know how it is mate, if you think you're the first to hear something just know that the Manimal has already heard it! ;)

Would throw our first rounder at that possibility. Without hesitation.

HF: Billings - White - Markworth
FF: Stanley - Patton - Templeton

What a potential forwardline! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back