List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I reckon the Sydney-Hawthorn game showed us you need at least you gun half backs to give you drive. Hawks shut down Malceski and nobody else stepped up, when Suckling gets shut down they've still got Birchall, Hodge and a whole bunch of other guys to throw back there. If Savage gets tagged we're pretty much stuffed. We need another one.

Another HBF? You're killing me, you know that don't you!

With Gears re-signing and Jimmy Gwilt apparently in talks for a new contract it'll be pretty interesting to see what list changes we make.. A few young guys have apparently re-signed as well.

Sam Fisher as well who i think most of us had as gone is doing everything right at the moment to possibly extend his career.

Adam Schneider might hang up the boots maybe considering his injury problems?

Sean Dempster 31 next year and still out of contract, you'd think he'll probably be offered another contract.

Just my thoughts:

Retired:
Lenny Hayes (Confirmed)
Beau Maister (Confirmed)
Clinton Jones (Doubt he'll be offered another contract by any club so you'd think he might retire himself)
Adam Schneider (50/50)

Delisted:
Trent Dennis-Lane
Sam Dunell
Lewis Pierce (maybe re-rookied)
Darren Minchington* (not convinced he'll be given an elevation)

Contract may or may not save them - (I don't think we'd delist all of them but one of them is a possibility).
Tom Simpkin
Arryn Siposs
Terry Milera

Not including Simpkin/Siposs/Milera - won't include Schneids either. The following is list spaces

Senior list
5. Cameron Shenton (elevated rookie)
6. Maverick Weller (elevated rookie)

Rookie list
4. Eli Templeton (retained rookie might be elevated).

He's the right height for it.
I've said my piece on Kennedy already (love him), but I'd be very interested in Broomhead too; kicking neat without being elite, good hands for a 'small' (184cm) and has real pace.

Knightmare compared him to Heath Shaw in his draft year and I think the comparison is pretty apt. Needs to put on a little bulk though.

Good call - I like Broomhead a lot but I doubt he is going anywhere - the Pies rate him from what I am told.

Unless we trade Simpkin / Sipposs / Milera I doubt we would delist them because we simply don't have the funds to pay them out.

You wouldn't bother trading for another player and any pick probably won't be used anyway.
Can we trade for a 4th round and then not use the pick? Therefore avoiding a pay out?

So what have I missed since Monday? Spent 6 hours in Hospital with my son who has Croup yesterday, my wife has the flu & I'm having a sickie today cos I've had 2 1/4 hours sleep over the last 2 nights & I think the flu is about to take me out too.... (s**t does not even get close to describing how I feel today) :(

Need some cheering up - will GWS seriously trade Boyd for pick 1 (if we finish last) & they have pick 2? And would we even bother doing it if Petracca is that good?

And how else could we snag another 1st round pick without trading away a Jack Steven? (There must be a way - I still can't get over Collingwood getting pick 17 for Wellingham 2 years ago)

No one wants to see us finish on the bottom again but whether we get the number 1 pick us going to be so important. It gives us a chance at Boyd or Patton or gives us Petrecca who looks an absolute gun. Whilst I'm convinced after the weekend we are not the worst side in the comp, a tough draw where we only get to play GWS and Melbourne once could be fantastic for the clubs future. I'm a little torn about how we finish the year... but carn the Sainters!

No one wants to see us finish on the bottom again but whether we get the number 1 pick us going to be so important. It gives us a chance at Boyd or Patton or gives us Petrecca who looks an absolute gun. Whilst I'm convinced after the weekend we are not the worst side in the comp, a tough draw where we only get to play GWS and Melbourne once could be fantastic for the clubs future. I'm a little torn about how we finish the year... but carn the Sainters!

I reckon the Sydney-Hawthorn game showed us you need at least you gun half backs to give you drive. Hawks shut down Malceski and nobody else stepped up, when Suckling gets shut down they've still got Birchall, Hodge and a whole bunch of other guys to throw back there. If Savage gets tagged we're pretty much stuffed. We need another one.

Arryn Siposs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what have I missed since Monday? Spent 6 hours in Hospital with my son who has Croup yesterday, my wife has the flu & I'm having a sickie today cos I've had 2 1/4 hours sleep over the last 2 nights & I think the flu is about to take me out too.... (s**t does not even get close to describing how I feel today) :(

Need some cheering up - will GWS seriously trade Boyd for pick 1 (if we finish last) & they have pick 2? And would we even bother doing it if Petracca is that good?

And how else could we snag another 1st round pick without trading away a Jack Steven? (There must be a way - I still can't get over Collingwood getting pick 17 for Wellingham 2 years ago)
Think we're more likely to go after one of Boyd/Patton next year when they're out of contract.

Because he can't stop his opponent kicking goals?

Interesting call. I have seen Webster create off half-back and run forward only to see the ball turned over and come back in over his head. Otherwise I think Webster has great closing speed and gets a fist in where other blokes couldn't. Find me a creative HBF that also shuts down completely. That role will go more to Geary than Webster.

With Gears re-signing and Jimmy Gwilt apparently in talks for a new contract it'll be pretty interesting to see what list changes we make.. A few young guys have apparently re-signed as well.

Sam Fisher as well who i think most of us had as gone is doing everything right at the moment to possibly extend his career.

Adam Schneider might hang up the boots maybe considering his injury problems?

Sean Dempster 31 next year and still out of contract, you'd think he'll probably be offered another contract.

Just my thoughts:

Retired:
Lenny Hayes (Confirmed)
Beau Maister (Confirmed)
Clinton Jones (Doubt he'll be offered another contract by any club so you'd think he might retire himself)
Adam Schneider (50/50)

Delisted:
Trent Dennis-Lane
Sam Dunell
Lewis Pierce (maybe re-rookied)
Darren Minchington* (not convinced he'll be given an elevation)

Contract may or may not save them - (I don't think we'd delist all of them but one of them is a possibility).
Tom Simpkin
Arryn Siposs
Terry Milera

Not including Simpkin/Siposs/Milera - won't include Schneids either. The following is list spaces

Senior list
5. Cameron Shenton (elevated rookie)
6. Maverick Weller (elevated rookie)

Rookie list
4. Eli Templeton (retained rookie might be elevated).
Good overview but I think we need to prepare for a trade that we're not happy about that turns our draft upside down. It's happened the last 2 years and is what The Pelican has told us what was going to happen.

Agree 100%.
TBF, he also manages to get a fist in, or manufacture a spoil at times where he has no right to do so.

With experience and confidence he'll keep his feet better.

Getting back on topic....

I had an excessive number of frothies with a senior Doggies person on the weekend who BTW he told me that they are shattered that Lenny is playing his last home game against the doggies because the Saints will be super fired up. Even their players are talking about it.

What he also told me is that Shaun Higgins wants out. Probably about as obvious as Thorpey's news but I thought it worth sharing because this thread is running out of topics :p

Apparently Higgins playing in the magoos is causing a bit of a rift at the Kennel because he is still playing good footy but the coach has told him that he is not returning to the senior side until he keeps to the VERY rigid game plan. Apparently their coach is obsessed with structures and only picks players who play to that structure. No creativity. Blokes get dragged for going off-script. Apparently the players joke about the fact that Acker was lucky he didn't play under Mcartney because he would never have got a game.

Higgins has told his manager and the club that he wants out and that he is going into the PSD. Higgins has been put in contact with Suns officials who are keen to have him come off a HBF so the deal might be already done - but I want to ask the question - should we consider Higgins in the PSD?

The same doggies person also said that GC are on the hunt for senior players and will throw their pick around this year to get one. They missed out on someone last year (don't know whom) and realise that they need a few more senior guys to balance the young talent.

I wonder if Gilbo still has that surfboard under his house.....

He has some great qualities and I love him at our club but he has a major deficiency which is he goes to ground unnecessarily at times.

Good call mate. You have got me thinking now. X Clarke did it a lot and it is often a sign of a player who is injured/out of form. One for the memory banks for next year. They have to get that out of his game.

Gee Whiz, the last 4 pages just went BANG!

I'm encouraged by the whispers doing the rounds, especially those coming from Brett Anderson & Brett Thomas on Twitter. Both Saints (well B.A at least worked for us) & have solid links in recruiter land.

It's going to be fascinating what comes of this trade & draft period... Shiel, Boyd, Patton... if we can extricate 1 of them from GWS this off season then that's outstanding. If we can land 2 by the start of 2016 then we'll all be doing back flips.

Re: Dylan Shiel, if we can get him then I think that might make a trade involving Armo more possible. Following Armo's last month of footy (& you can probably put Rhys in this boat too) I dropped him out of any trade speculation. However as we're building for 2018 & beyond, blokes 26+ need to be considered as possible trading chips.

I suspect that Melbourne were keen on Armo last year & that he was part of the rumoured trade for pick 2 that fell over last year. If (when) The Dees get a compo pick for Frawley then maybe he'll still have their interest. I don't think we can afford to lose Armo unless Shiel can be locked in.

So;

Pick 1 & pick 21 to GWS for Dylan Shiel & Pick 10 (their enacted compo pick)
David Armitage & Sam Gilbert to Melbourne for Pick 4 (Frawley compo)

Gives us

Dylan Shiel
Pick 4 (Durdin/Brayshaw/?)
Pick 10 (Lever/Laverde/?)

In 2015 thrown the kitchen sink at Boyd/Patton or Cameron).

Of course Armo & Gilbo won't likely get the trade for pick 4 done so if pick 10 can be landed from GWS then that might have to be added to Armo & get Melb's 2nd rounder in return (Armo & #10 for #4 & #23).

I suppose if Shiel is unattainable then the same trade could be made for Boyd or Patton.

Getting back on topic....

I had an excessive number of frothies with a senior Doggies person on the weekend who BTW he told me that they are shattered that Lenny is playing his last home game against the doggies because the Saints will be super fired up. Even their players are talking about it.

What he also told me is that Shaun Higgins wants out. Probably about as obvious as Thorpey's news but I thought it worth sharing because this thread is running out of topics :p

Apparently Higgins playing in the magoos is causing a bit of a rift at the Kennel because he is still playing good footy but the coach has told him that he is not returning to the senior side until he keeps to the VERY rigid game plan. Apparently their coach is obsessed with structures and only picks players who play to that structure. No creativity. Blokes get dragged for going off-script. Apparently the players joke about the fact that Acker was lucky he didn't play under Mcartney because he would never have got a game.

Higgins has told his manager and the club that he wants out and that he is going into the PSD. Higgins has been put in contact with Suns officials who are keen to have him come off a HBF so the deal might be already done - but I want to ask the question - should we consider Higgins in the PSD?

The same doggies person also said that GC are on the hunt for senior players and will throw their pick around this year to get one. They missed out on someone last year (don't know whom) and realise that they need a few more senior guys to balance the young talent.

I wonder if Gilbo still has that surfboard under his house.....
Higgins is a LOT bigger than I thought (186/89), has enormous talent and elite skills, is in a very enticing age bracket for us at 26, but his injury history is very concerning.

At the right price, and IF we were absolutely sure his body would hold up to at least 15 games a year then absolutely; can't have too much class.

EDIT: AFL.com.au has North, Carlton, Richmond and GWS as the interested parties as far as Higgins goes...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back