St Kilda CEO/board discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol so everyone should pretend they have always rated & liked the guy just cos he's at the Saints?

Yes

Does anyone really not rate him? Has done a great job looking after player's conditions & rights over the past 5 years. Apart from criticising StK over a few player welfare issues I dont see any reason why a StK supporter would have anything against him

No, but we could give the bloke a fair go.

I think a fair few supporters are a bit over bagging Presidents, CEOs and Coaches. Let's just judge him on what he does in this job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who said he won't be given fair go? Just stated I've never liked him and not going pretend I have. Then people have go. I hope he changes my opinion. Never once bagged him like been hinted at.

Any chance Jaxon on SS is Finey? Me thinks so….always wrong too :)

Finnis the spin doctor is spinning it all ready re our membership……

"I am really looking forward to starting in the role, and thank the Board of the St Kilda Football Club for the opportunity. To be CEO of one of the foundation clubs of the AFL is a real privilege, and in particular the chance to serve a club with such strong membership support and history is a great challenge that I am looking forward to," Mr. Finnis said.

Back 20 -30 years ago, it was rare for the Saints not to be in the top 6 or 7 on the membership ladder..
To see where the Hawks, Roos, & even the Doggies are now, is an embarrassment..We've lost our way..!
I'm looking forward to the challenge for Finnis to attract not just members, (old & new) but significant sponsors..

Finnis is a very good appointment if true. He is young and ambitious and he will at the very least not be asleep at the wheel.

I would agree with this 100 percent.

I think that he has his eyes on bigger prizes re his ambition.

I think he sees us as a significant challenge, however one that works both ways. He is seen to do a good job at our club, then he looks better for other positions at AFL house. Maybe even a post gill top job.

He has done all he can at the AFLPA.

Therefore, I think that it's a good appointment for us and him and one that I think he will do a great job in to benefit us and him.

I just hope to ******* all hell that the previous mismanagement is behind us and a strong figure like him can at least stamp some good authority on this club, much like he's done with the AFLPA

No, but we could give the bloke a fair go.

I think a fair few supporters are a bit over bagging Presidents, CEOs and Coaches. Let's just judge him on what he does in this job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. At this point I am over the bagging of everything.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Whi is supposed to bring in new sponsors? The CEO or president?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

The CEO runs the club , and implements the directions of the board.
This would include the marketing department , which would be responsible for finding and satisfying sponsors.
( just assuming ).
Its only occasionally you get someone like Dick Pratt, who brings the sponsorship with him.
Seriously, why would a cardboard box maker want to sponsor a footy club otherwise?

What a patheitc decision from our pathetic club to appoint a pathetic CEO.

Anyone with half a brain would have run this process through this forum befor making a final decision. After all, we all know what;s best and have intimate knowledge of the guy's credentials.

This club is a rabble and just does not listen to it's supporters anymore. Oh, did I mention the word pathetic enough times?

:D

Seriously though, if the club believe he's the best available, then I will roll with that.

Time will tell if it is the right decision or not... as with everything else.

Small Print:
Written and authorised by VDS66. Any resemblance to particular supporters on here are intentional and do a damn fine job of taking the piss. No further correspondence will be entered into. All opinions are final. Any complaints should be forwarded to the mods.

The CEO runs the club , and implements the directions of the board.
This would include the marketing department , which would be responsible for finding and satisfying sponsors.
( just assuming ).
Its only occasionally you get someone like Dick Pratt, who brings the sponsorship with him.
Seriously, why would a cardboard box maker want to sponsor a footy club otherwise?

this. i dont have any industry experience (i'm an IT guy) but my guess is a separate sales type role or department that reports to the CEO would be responsible for it (marketing department might not be the right word for it, as their job is to attract people to the organisation, they just usually arent involved in the actual discussion with the prospective client). their sole job is to attract/secure new clients/sponsors. they work pretty closely with the CEO, given it helps to secure deals if the client meets the CEO and talks to them face to face. all part of that warm and fuzzy feeling valued thing. also at the end of the day the CEO is probably interested in where the $$$ are coming from right

i dont have any AFL experience but i'd imagine some of the prospective sponsors probably get to our club via the AFL or potentially another club. like the CEO, the AFL may get involved in discussions to help get the deal over the line, or they might be part of an approval process.

i'm just guessing

What a patheitc decision from our pathetic club to appoint a pathetic CEO.

Anyone with half a brain would have run this process through this forum befor making a final decision. After all, we all know what;s best and have intimate knowledge of the guy's credentials.

This club is a rabble and just does not listen to it's supporters anymore. Oh, did I mention the word pathetic enough times?

:D

Seriously though, if the club believe he's the best available, then I will roll with that.

Time will tell if it is the right decision or not... as with everything else.

Small Print:
Written and authorised by VDS66. Any resemblance to particular supporters on here are intentional and do a damn fine job of taking the piss. No further correspondence will be entered into. All opinions are final. Any complaints should be forwarded to the mods.

hahahaha

i agree why cant we do it like essendon:
"Hey Pete, I know this bloke i've heard he's done some great work up north in some other sporting clubs. Anyways he just quit his current job unexpectedly after a couple of months and is now looking for work. I've worked with him briefly at another club so i can vouch for him, no need for those pesky time consuming background checks, no need to check for references. Plus side is he rarely stays at one club for long, so he knows how a lot of different clubs operate...so what do you say, lets make this happen"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this. i dont have any industry experience (i'm an IT guy) but my guess is a separate sales type role or department that reports to the CEO would be responsible for it (marketing department might not be the right word for it, as their job is to attract people to the organisation, they just usually arent involved in the actual discussion with the prospective client). their sole job is to attract/secure new clients/sponsors. they work pretty closely with the CEO, given it helps to secure deals if the client meets the CEO and talks to them face to face. all part of that warm and fuzzy feeling valued thing. also at the end of the day the CEO is probably interested in where the $$$ are coming from right

i dont have any AFL experience but i'd imagine some of the prospective sponsors probably get to our club via the AFL or potentially another club. like the CEO, the AFL may get involved in discussions to help get the deal over the line, or they might be part of an approval process.

i'm just guessing

At least if the new CEO wants an IT guy you could be a chance. ( hopefully they don't choose an ex-player who's worked out how to hold down alt tab del).
Or do they just piss in Telstra's pocket?

At least if the new CEO wants an IT guy you could be a chance. ( hopefully they don't choose an ex-player who's worked out how to hold down alt tab del).
Or do they just piss in Telstra's pocket?

hahaha well if essendon can put sean wellman in charge of creating their supplements database, i think i might be in with a shot...."the files are in the computer!!!"

Matt Finnis's Overview

Current

• Chief Executive Officer at AFL Players Association
Past
  • Lawyer at Lander & Rogers
  • Clerk / Lawyer at Rigby Cooke Lawyers
  • Sponsorship Services Manager at Anti-Cancer Council Victoria

Matt Finnis' Experience

Chief Executive Officer

AFL Players Association
Nonprofit; 11-50 employees; Sports industry

March 2005 – Present (9 years 1 month)
Lawyer

Lander & Rogers
Partnership; 201-500 employees; Law Practice industry

2002 – 2005 (3 years)
Clerk / Lawyer

Rigby Cooke Lawyers
Partnership; 51-200 employees; Law Practice industry

2000 – 2002 (2 years)
Sponsorship Services Manager
Anti-Cancer Council Victoria

1999 – 2000 (1 year)
Matt Finnis' Education
INSEAD
Advanced Management Program

Monash University
LLB (Hons)

Monash University
BA (Psych)

Mentone Grammar School

Groups and Associations:
Director, Surfing Australia (2005 - present) Director, HeartKids Australia (2005 - 2009)

Honors and Awards:
Vincent Fairfax Fellow

i didnt realise he was a founding director of heart kids as well. pleasantly surprised!!!

our daughter had a treatable form of CHD and have been helped by heart kids from diagnosis to surgery to post surgery, wife has volunteered for them. they are a great organisation that do great work for kids and their families

The Winmar situation isn't ironic at all. it was the whole idea of the policy that players who don't end up making it have something to fall back on.
I'm not over the moon about the background of Finnis , maybe I'm biased but I wouldn't want the head of the trade union running my manufacturing company ( or Quantas for that matter ).
Often they've only seen things from one side.

But hey, he seems to be a guy with decent ability, Pelch will sort him out if he's no good.

As long as they keep a close on his credit card statements... we should be ok. ;)

Think this is a good person to bring to our club, lets give him a chance to settle into the job and get some runs on the board, like our young players a lot of posters are righting off!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back