St Kilda CEO/board discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone who has actually worked in a AFL club at some point.

I'm aware I may be treating him unfairly but every time I have seen Matt Finnis and St Kilda Football Club together in a media article it is because he has been potting us. I've also just realised that I automatically roll my eyes when I hear his name.

TBH I have never noticed it.

He's a glorified Player Manager.
Andrew Demetrio & Brendan Gale both had this position before their current jobs. Thinks the Saints have done well

Not sure I like this Finnis decision, his time as the head of the AFLPA hasn't warmed me to him and I seriously doubt St Kilda is one of the clubs he has strong a strong relationship with.

By all account we had a good relationship with Finnis. Sure it didnt get off to a good start and we butted heads early on, but i dont think this was a case of Finnis and the AFLPA being in the wrong. I think we had fallen behind what was acceptable in terms of player management. Wasnt long after that we started to insist players have jobs outside of football (remember the winmar with a plunger down a toilet photo op, quite ironic given that he needed another job in the end). We also started to implement the other AFLPA recommendations. My take on it was that it was the last remains of the lyon era where football was the only thing players should concentrate on. Anything else was expected to be put to the side (remember the threat of sacking if luke miles received from ross if he attended a test for future employment).

I think they butted heads with us on the lovett situation, which to be honest, we only have our selves to blame on that one. whilst we couldnt stop the situation from occuring we sure could have managed the whole thing better. ****ed if i know what ross levin did, he couldnt manage a * in a brothel if you ask me. couldnt handle a 17 yr old girl, couldnt handle lovett.

winmar situation again could have been managed better. likewise milne, where we told him he could play, then he was told he was out indefinitely and then it was a 4 game suspension or what ever it ended up as.

starting to see a pattern? that pattern is mis-management and we cant just sit back and accept it any longer

He's a glorified Player Manager.

no he's not. was brendon gale a glorified player manager? what about vlad?

you're talking about a bloke that's in charge of the representative body for 750+ currently listed players and then some in past players, and all the programs that go with it

its not a small organisation and has some significant responsibilities. if you're looking for head count and programs its much bigger than our club

Someone who has actually worked in a AFL club at some point.

I'm aware I may be treating him unfairly but every time I have seen Matt Finnis and St Kilda Football Club together in a media article it is because he has been potting us. I've also just realised that I automatically roll my eyes when I hear his name.

why are people so fixated on this? i dont understand it. its so incestuous, do it for long enough and you end up like essendon, with a business model and practices that are stuck in the last decade. ameet wasnt a football person, know one would have known his name when he was appointed. but look at the great work and ideas he has brought in/implemented. our player contracts and salary cap hasnt been in a better place

i love the idea of bringing in someone who hasnt been in a club environment. personally i was hoping for someone who hasnt been in the AFL environment for this reason.

theres many advantages that come with finnis, for starters he has intermittent knowledge of the issues facing players, those facing various clubs and this is probably a stretch but maybe even individual players ;-) 2 strikes anyone?

he knows the programs and best practices needed to manage players especially younger players (wheres our list at again?)

he also knows AFL HQ very well and has negotiated sticking points very well in the past (i.e. collective bargaining agreement, illicit drugs policies etc). he's someone we could use very well to negotiate for us (i.e. equalization, stadium deals). hell it wouldnt be stretch for him to have some good corporate contacts that could potentially help us with sponsorship

also did i mention he was a decent lawyer

for starters he has intermittent knowledge of the issues

Hope you mean intimate:)

He potted us when we sacked two contracted players.

He also criticised the club when we withdrew from various player welfare & personal development courses that the AFLPA provided. This happened under Lyon & around the same time as various scandals broke.

Yes he has potted us in his role as 'protector' of players rights.

Some would argue deservedly so.

A good appointment (if it's true!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By all account we had a good relationship with Finnis. Sure it didnt get off to a good start and we butted heads early on, but i dont think this was a case of Finnis and the AFLPA being in the wrong. I think we had fallen behind what was acceptable in terms of player management. Wasnt long after that we started to insist players have jobs outside of football (remember the winmar with a plunger down a toilet photo op, quite ironic given that he needed another job in the end). We also started to implement the other AFLPA recommendations. My take on it was that it was the last remains of the lyon era where football was the only thing players should concentrate on. Anything else was expected to be put to the side (remember the threat of sacking if luke miles received from ross if he attended a test for future employment).

I think they butted heads with us on the lovett situation, which to be honest, we only have our selves to blame on that one. whilst we couldnt stop the situation from occuring we sure could have managed the whole thing better. ****** if i know what ross levin did, he couldnt manage a **** in a brothel if you ask me. couldnt handle a 17 yr old girl, couldnt handle lovett.

winmar situation again could have been managed better. likewise milne, where we told him he could play, then he was told he was out indefinitely and then it was a 4 game suspension or what ever it ended up as.

starting to see a pattern? that pattern is mis-management and we cant just sit back and accept it any longer

no he's not. was brendon gale a glorified player manager? what about vlad?

you're talking about a bloke that's in charge of the representative body for 750+ currently listed players and then some in past players, and all the programs that go with it

its not a small organisation and has some significant responsibilities. if you're looking for head count and programs its much bigger than our club

why are people so fixated on this? i dont understand it. its so incestuous, do it for long enough and you end up like essendon, with a business model and practices that are stuck in the last decade. ameet wasnt a football person, know one would have known his name when he was appointed. but look at the great work and ideas he has brought in/implemented. our player contracts and salary cap hasnt been in a better place

i love the idea of bringing in someone who hasnt been in a club environment. personally i was hoping for someone who hasnt been in the AFL environment for this reason.

theres many advantages that come with finnis, for starters he has intermittent knowledge of the issues facing players, those facing various clubs and this is probably a stretch but maybe even individual players ;-) 2 strikes anyone?

he knows the programs and best practices needed to manage players especially younger players (wheres our list at again?)

he also knows AFL HQ very well and has negotiated sticking points very well in the past (i.e. collective bargaining agreement, illicit drugs policies etc). he's someone we could use very well to negotiate for us (i.e. equalization, stadium deals). hell it wouldnt be stretch for him to have some good corporate contacts that could potentially help us with sponsorship

also did i mention he was a decent lawyer

The Winmar situation isn't ironic at all. it was the whole idea of the policy that players who don't end up making it have something to fall back on.
I'm not over the moon about the background of Finnis , maybe I'm biased but I wouldn't want the head of the trade union running my manufacturing company ( or Quantas for that matter ).
Often they've only seen things from one side.

But hey, he seems to be a guy with decent ability, Pelch will sort him out if he's no good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Winmar situation isn't ironic at all. it was the whole idea of the policy that players who don't end up making it have something to fall back on.
I'm not over the moon about the background of Finnis , maybe I'm biased but I wouldn't want the head of the trade union running my manufacturing company ( or Quantas for that matter ).
Often they've only seen things from one side.

But hey, he seems to be a guy with decent ability, Pelch will sort him out if he's no good.

what are you scared of? what negative do you see from it?

what are you scared of? what negative do you see from it?
Yeah, I see it as a plus. I think a CEO who the players respect, will be able to utilise them more effectively. The fact is, the chief commodity that our club has to sell, is our players. This is what Luke Holmesby is starting to understand about the marketing. Obviously, I hope the CEO fixes membership, sponsorship, etc, etc. But a key facet of that is having the players help promote the club effectively, and if he is seen as being on their side, that can only help that to happen.

Spectacular yawnfest... Just make a decision. Dragging on like a 19th century opera rendition

Any chance Jaxon on SS is Finey? Me thinks so….always wrong too :)

Finnis the spin doctor is spinning it all ready re our membership……

"I am really looking forward to starting in the role, and thank the Board of the St Kilda Football Club for the opportunity. To be CEO of one of the foundation clubs of the AFL is a real privilege, and in particular the chance to serve a club with such strong membership support and history is a great challenge that I am looking forward to," Mr. Finnis said.

Last edited:
hasnt even started the job and is already receiving criticism :(:eek:o_O

Lol so everyone should pretend they have always rated & liked the guy just cos he's at the Saints?

Lol so everyone should pretend they have always rated & liked the guy just cos he's at the Saints?

No, but we could give the bloke a fair go.

I think a fair few supporters are a bit over bagging Presidents, CEOs and Coaches. Let's just judge him on what he does in this job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back