St Kilda looking to trade out pick 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Obviously the Saints are still mathematically a chance of not getting the wooden spoon, but it's looking rather like they will. The club hasn't tried to keep it a secret that they will look to trade out pick one for the right deal.

Their are rumours going around that both GWS and Melbourne have already approached the Saints to see what they would have to give up to get it. Personally I think the club will try and get a deal done with GWS, whether it be a straight swap for a player or even a player traded to Saints in return for a pick upgrade.

What are everyone's thoughts? What might your club be willing to give up for pick 1?

I say the Bulldogs be the most Interested as they would love to have McCartin
Too hard to get a deal done with us. Not much we'd be willing to give up.

If GWS couldn't trade away pick 1 when Boyd was on the cards, it seems less likely when it's McCartin on offer who has significantly less wraps on him coming into the draft. Unless the Saints are going to take substantially less than GWS was expecting, nothing's going to happen.

Depends really. Pick 1 is out of wright, mccartin and petracca so depending list valuation and saints needs, pick 1's value is really fluid in terms of 'known quantities'. First what are the saints in desperate need of? Eg age and position wise?

Petracca seams to be the clear number 1 now, which is one reason the Saints would look to trade out pick 1 as they are after a key forward. They are chasing a KPF, 23 and under I'd say.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...pick-this-season/story-fngeflq8-1227018531220

Petracca seams to be the clear number 1 now, which is one reason the Saints would look to trade out pick 1 as they are after a key forward. They are chasing a KPF, 23 and under I'd say.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/alan-richardson-says-st-kilda-will-look-at-trading-potential-no1-draft-pick-this-season/story-fngeflq8-1227018531220

Off the top of my head I have Henderson, Daniher, Cameron, Lynch, Boyd, Patton, May, Hogan, Reid (Swans), Jones, Darling

Players and picks for number 1:
Henderson
Lynch
May
Reid
Jones
Darling

pick 1 plus some for player:
Cameron
Boyd
Patton
Hogan

Pick 1 only:
Daniher

Note: only my views on pick one value if all things are equal. Doubtful will ever really happen as value to these clubs exceeds pick value in most cases

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Off the top of my head I have Henderson, Daniher, Cameron, Lynch, Boyd, Patton, May, Hogan, Reid (Swans), Jones, Darling

Players and picks for number 1:
Henderson
Lynch
May
Reid
Jones
Darling

pick 1 plus some for player:
Cameron
Boyd
Patton
Hogan

Pick 1 only:
Daniher

Note: only my views on pick one value if all things are equal. Doubtful will ever really happen as value to these clubs exceeds pick value in most cases

If Hogan = Pick 1 + some when Melbourne paid pick 3 + 13 for Hogan, 20 and Barry (which IMO as a package doesn't = pick 1) and since he's had some pretty bad injuries, you're essentially saying he's gained value post 'draft.'

Not sure about that. But if you are running with that then Daniher has to be in that group. Definitely worth more than pick 1 IMO. Arguably Lynch from GC might just be pick 1 worthy too.

If Hogan = Pick 1 + some when Melbourne paid pick 3 + 13 for Hogan, 20 and Barry (which IMO as a package doesn't = pick 1) and since he's had some pretty bad injuries, you're essentially saying he's gained value post 'draft.'

Not sure about that. But if you are running with that then Daniher has to be in that group. Definitely worth more than pick 1 IMO. Arguably Lynch from GC might just be pick 1 worthy too.

Just a guestimation really. Hogan before his injuries won the melb b and f from memory as a 17 year old. May be underrating daniher and lynch but Hogan for me is a beast.

Obviously the Saints are still mathematically a chance of not getting the wooden spoon, but it's looking rather like they will. The club hasn't tried to keep it a secret that they will look to trade out pick one for the right deal.

Their are rumours going around that both GWS and Melbourne have already approached the Saints to see what they would have to give up to get it. Personally I think the club will try and get a deal done with GWS, whether it be a straight swap for a player or even a player traded to Saints in return for a pick upgrade.

What are everyone's thoughts? What might your club be willing to give up for pick 1?

I have said this many times before if ever I was going to trade out of the top 10 for a proven player this would be the year. If you go through the top 10 you can have a knock on them all. Not saying that won't be good players however I can put a knock on all of them.

1. McCartin already built like a man and only 193cm, basically a leading forward who I don't think will ever be a number 1 forward, to me he is a perfect foil to a Paton or a Cloke. A really good second or third target.

2. Petracca again a January birthday and already very well developed, he has up to 12 months age difference on some of other boys, I believe he is a ready made player and will make an impact very quickly. I see him similar to Wines and Viney, good footballers but How much rate of improvement is there.

3. Lever, excellent bottom age year injured all through this year, has grown a little and most believe you have a 10 year key Backman, has to be a risk though.

4. Wright 203cm tall forward, hasn't kicked bags in the TAC and was played primarily as a ruckman in the Championships, after Kreuzer do you risk a top 5 on a ruckman.

5. Brayshaw, another January birthday, another boy already well developed, although looks like a inside mid stats show he gets the majority of his ball as a receiver. Doesn't provide a lot of run once he gets it as not over quick, even rushes his kicks. That said likely to be a good AFL player.

6. McKenzie (based on Knightmare ratings) although I don't rate top 20, basically kicked goals in two TAC games when his team dominated and 16 in a school game, he is already 100kgs and not a good mover, read slow. Has good hands though. A real risk.

7. Pickett, lightning quick, yes, takes the game on, yes, gets the ball regularly, no. Is he any better than a number of other similar types who showed something but were found out at AFL. Is he any better than Kennedy-harris?

8. Laverde, really sweet mover, who on the back of a couple of excellent Championship games has rocketed up the charts. Has good speed, fantastic jump and good self belief. Also goes missing in games and when off his games can mis judge the ball and run under it. That said he could be the next Jeremy Howe

9 Durdin, coming off a very average Championships, he is a skinny tall, will he be a key Backman, maybe, a key forward, possibly and mobile ruckman, likely. Could be the best in the draft or a major flop, the old risk and reward applies.

10. Goddard, I must admit I like him, however only as a key back , not sure about key forward. Not great up forward in the championships.

And it goes on Moore hasn't been great this year, Duggan started slowly not a great championship but has been terrific since.

I still believe the cream could really be hidden this year. Hence quite will ing to trade out a top 5 pick.

Dont think GWS or Melbourne would trade for pick 1, unless they have 2 PLAYERS they really want, which is unlikely given that GWS doesn't lack KPP and Melbourne would be fine with just 1 key forward. If there has to be a club interested, it would by a team like Sydney(Tom Mitchell involved) or a team like essendon due to the lack of forwards(bellchampers+first pick for pick 1 to complement Daniher)

Dont think GWS or Melbourne would trade for pick 1, unless they have 2 PLAYERS they really want, which is unlikely given that GWS doesn't lack KPP and Melbourne would be fine with just 1 key forward. If there has to be a club interested, it would by a team like Sydney(Tom Mitchell involved) or a team like essendon due to the lack of forwards(bellchampers+first pick for pick 1 to complement Daniher)

I think the reason GWS would be looking at it is that Petracca will likely go number 1 and after that the next best all seem to be key position players, which they seem to have enough of. Their had been a lot of talk that the giants are keen to get Petracca, just like their was a lot of talk last year about them wanting Kelly.

If I were GWS pick 2 would definitely be on the table as they do not need more young guys with lots of potential. What they need is top quality proven AFL talent to help their younger guys.
I'd do the opposite and keep gathering these low picks to develop the next group of youngsters so that once their current group of youngsters hit their peaks they still have a plethora of talented kids coming through. It's all about long term gain for GWS

Neither St. Kilda nor Essendon would do that.

I think SOS is more predictable than Melbourne or even St Kilda, last year from memory there were huge reports of GWS having a Josh Kelly hard on.
Not necessarily unpredictable, but they've shown that they're willing to 1) trade up to get their man if they like them enough, 2) make selections that aren't universally regarded as the best options at those picks (O'Rourke/Plowman), and 3) stockpile talls. Comment was mostly tongue in cheek but they haven't exactly been hesitant to make bold moves that not a lot of people (especially on here) necessarily agreed with. Don't think they'd do it, but I wouldn't be prepared to completely rule it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back