St Kilda returning to Moorabbin

Remove this Banner Ad

thats the attitude that wins support for the move.

We don't need your support or the support of Frankston. We need the support of our members, the AFL, the State Govt and the Kingston Council. Lucky it's a marginal seat. Your whining and wailing is really pretty irrelevant, as much as that might surprise a Carlton supporter. Your days of influence in the AFL are well gone.

For which they have been getting paid annually - and also received money from the AFLs disequal budget for - to the point that the money the Saints received in 2015 from the AFL ($16,245,840) is Gold Coast Suns level (2014: $16,506,277) - a team which wasnt even competing in the AFL when the Saints moved to Seaford.
Quoting that without comparing it to every other team is about as pointless as you could possibly imagine.

Semantics. Taxpayers, ratepayers, the AFL already paid once - and just 5 years ago. Why should they (dfifferent ratepayers this time) pay again just 5 years later - during which they already tried to move somewhere else? And how the hell is St Kilda funding their share - they have no resources as it is, which means the league will be paying for it. again.

As for persepective - I find government funding of professional sporting facilities to be appalling - particularly "community" facilities. I dont care what team or sport it is.

Pump your brakes. How the hell do you know a) STKFC won't find the money for the Moorabbin development and b) what the ongoing use of Linen House will be in the future? And in pure dollar terms what is St.Kilda's level of assistance relative to every other club?
The re-developed Moorabbin is a "shared facility" you know that right?
The term "local" in local council might give you a clue as to who they are there to serve. So if you have an issue with that I suggest your beef is not with STKFC but the government so perhaps take it up with them.
Obviously all pure rhetoric based on unfounded assumption.

No wonder you have so many posts...you won't let anything go. I think all saints fan realise we stuffed up choosing Seaford. Kingston Council have now come to their senses, as have our club, and we are moving back home. Franga council can GAGF as far as I'm concerned. They did their bit, paid for a new home until a few local Kingston council members were moved on. Onwards and upward I say. See ya later Seaford.
Great attitude that :rolleyes:.

I really think that we could have made the Frankston move work if we'd been willing or able to fund the Frankston Oval site or there had been more diligence put in when it came to choosing the back up site as there were probably many greater options than Belvedere Reserve. I can think of a number of options that could have been explored off the top of my head including partnerships with Monash University or the TAFE.

It also would have been helpful if the AFL had scheduled (or the club requested) at least 1 pre-season game in the area.

Personally I'm far more ambitious in my thinking then those at the club have been for either Frankston or Moorabbin and see both as missed opportunities.

Last edited:
Mainly because after sinking $4m into a facility they thought the saints would be at long term, they now have to find alternate use arrangements that will be cost effective after less than a decade

You see nothing unusual about asking a council to fund infrastructure for your club, and walking away from that investment after just 5 years???

Mate business is littered with such stories. At the end of the day, the Saints have a 35 year lease there....that is their obligation. Their obligation is not the long term viability of the complex - the various investors assessed the risk at the time and decided to invest.

As I understand it, the Saints are doing what every other tenant wanting to move does in this situation - they are negotiating out of the lease. If they can't, they will be locked into funding the leasing costs for another how ever many years. But everything I hear is that all parties are working together well to get a good outcome for all parties.

Great attitude that :rolleyes:.

I really think that we could have made the Frankston move work if we'd been willing or able to fund the Frankston Oval site or there had been more diligence put in when it came to choosing the back up site as there were probably many greater options than Belvedere Reserve. I can think of a number of options that could have been explored off the top of my head including partnerships with Monash University or the TAFE.

It also would have been helpful if the AFL had scheduled (or the club requested) at least 1 pre-season game in the area.

Personally I'm far more ambitious in my thinking that those at the club have been for either Frankston or Moorabbin and see both as missed opportunities.

It's pretty silly to act like you have all these great ideas while not having any real idea of if the club has explored those options or if they are even possible.

Mainly because after sinking $4m into a facility they thought the saints would be at long term, they now have to find alternate use arrangements that will be cost effective after less than a decade

You see nothing unusual about asking a council to fund infrastructure for your club, and walking away from that investment after just 5 years???

i'd love to see how worked up you get over other government projects in recent times.. at-least this one provided a community facility

its probably costing less than kevin rudds set top box scheme...

Lot of anger on here - Saints should just act like a small club; not get sponsors, not sign up current players, not plan for the future, not increase memberships, not draft and trade for need (Billings, Acres, Dunstan, McCartin, Mckenzie Bruce, Lonie, Sinclair, Hickey, Savage, Greesham, Freeman, Carlsisle, Rice etc.) Get over it that is exactly what the Saints are doing.

Strategically the Saints are heading in the right direction. As a supporter I am stoked with how the back office is working at the Saints - thanks to Bains, Finnis etc .

To be honest I would not have said this 5 years ago even though we were competing for flags we were trying to pinch one the model now is sustainable

This gives me faith that there will be reward on the field in years to come.

Damn right I support this move and I support the direction the club is headed. The move to Moorabin is another positive

don't expect an answer from Crippa on this

WA Today, 15th October 2015

"The Fremantle Dockers are playing hardball over their long-awaited move to Cockburn, asking the City of Fremantle to pay them millions to vacate premises at Fremantle Oval - despite the fact the council never wanted them to leave in the first place.

The Dockers, the City of Cockburn and Curtin University are co-funding the $109 million aquatic and recreation facility under construction at Cockburn's Central West, with the help of $12.4 million in state and federal government grants. Another $3 million in state funding has also been applied for. "

"If they vacate the building, the Dockers will also be breaking a lease that is only scheduled to end in 2054. "

WA Today, 15th October 2015

"The Fremantle Dockers are playing hardball over their long-awaited move to Cockburn, asking the City of Fremantle to pay them millions to vacate premises at Fremantle Oval - despite the fact the council never wanted them to leave in the first place.

The Dockers, the City of Cockburn and Curtin University are co-funding the $109 million aquatic and recreation facility under construction at Cockburn's Central West, with the help of $12.4 million in state and federal government grants. Another $3 million in state funding has also been applied for. "

freo's contribution is around 12m of the 100+m

i'd love to see how worked up you get over other government projects in recent times.. at-least this one provided a community facility

its probably costing less than kevin rudds set top box scheme...

Don't worry, I'm plenty political (just don't get too much into it online because too many nutters here)

Pump your brakes. How the hell do you know a) STKFC won't find the money for the Moorabbin development and b) what the ongoing use of Linen House will be in the future? And in pure dollar terms what is St.Kilda's level of assistance relative to every other club?
The re-developed Moorabbin is a "shared facility" you know that right?
The term "local" in local council might give you a clue as to who they are there to serve. So if you have an issue with that I suggest your beef is not with STKFC but the government so perhaps take it up with them.
Obviously all pure rhetoric based on unfounded assumption.
Lol shared facility! At the approval of st kilda:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate business is littered with such stories. At the end of the day, the Saints have a 35 year lease there....that is their obligation. Their obligation is not the long term viability of the complex - the various investors assessed the risk at the time and decided to invest.

As I understand it, the Saints are doing what every other tenant wanting to move does in this situation - they are negotiating out of the lease. If they can't, they will be locked into funding the leasing costs for another how ever many years. But everything I hear is that all parties are working together well to get a good outcome for all parties.

I hope they do

Contrary to the GAGF post one of your supporters made, I think there is strong commercial reasons for the saints to leave on good terms

The peninsula has always had a strong amount of support for the saints, heck I remember when every kid at our school aspired to run out onto a vfl ground at half time wearing the saints kit in the big m little league. There is a lot of goodwill and support for the club down there, and I genuinely don't want to see that tarnished by this exit

As said before, I grew up walking distance from the ground, and spent half my life in the area. The council and its residents have been treated like s**t for decades "because it's franga", and I'm just concerned this will be another kick in the guts for a poor community

I hope they do

Contrary to the GAGF post one of your supporters made, I think there is strong commercial reasons for the saints to leave on good terms

The peninsula has always had a strong amount of support for the saints, heck I remember when every kid at our school aspired to run out onto a vfl ground at half time wearing the saints kit in the big m little league. There is a lot of goodwill and support for the club down there, and I genuinely don't want to see that tarnished by this exit

As said before, I grew up walking distance from the ground, and spent half my life in the area. The council and its residents have been treated like s**t for decades "because it's franga", and I'm just concerned this will be another kick in the guts for a poor community

Fair call

I hope they do

I think that would absolutely be their intent and I would think all saints supporters would want to see the move done well. The GAGF comments made in here are more about the frustration of having opposition supporters trying to kick the club on matters they know little about. I don't think anyone wants to see anyone shafted but Saints made a bad decision to leave Moorabin, the club has acknowledged that, the supporters always felt that and the players have towed the line.

They cannot afford to compound a bad decision with more bad decisions.

Don't worry, I'm plenty political (just don't get too much into it online because too many nutters here)

look i can understand your concern and your other post about franga being kicked again, does make me more sympathetic to where you are coming from

at the end of the day the cost of the build was 4m for them... right? we would have been there for 7 years by the time we move... thats what a tick over 500k a year... you get a good facility out of it and have had the community exposure to a professional football club

i hope we find a new tenant for it to ease the pain and we stay involved somehow

as for the moorabbin project. its a case of the saints come back or its bulldozed. the economic benefits from having the saints based there would be lost forever.

it makes sense to kick this project off for everyone involved

if it helps rfctiger74 i've heard our president stand up in front of our supporters and state that they want to remain involved in seaford even if we move, as its part of the bayside strategy and they know if we vacate completely another club will come in. there's history in that area as well that they are concerned about

So Freo have fully funded their move to Cockburn without AFL or State Govt handouts?
Serious question.

My post was about St Kilda - as a club which is dead broke - receiving millions in AFL handouts and misusing those funds to make one bungling money-wasting decision after another which it then seeks to reverse. AFL handouts are not funding Freo's move to Cockburn but even if they were it would be irrelevant in that context.

Nevertheless, since you said your question was serious, and in the spirit of Christmas, here's a link: www.cockburn.wa.gov.au/news/major_projects/cockburn_central_west/

My post was about St Kilda - as a club which is dead broke - receiving millions in AFL handouts and misusing those funds to make one bungling money-wasting decision after another which it then seeks to reverse. AFL handouts are not funding Freo's move to Cockburn but even if they were it would be irrelevant in that context.

Nevertheless, since you said your question was serious, and in the spirit of Christmas, here's a link: www.cockburn.wa.gov.au/news/major_projects/cockburn_central_west/

do you think that freo are tipping in enough % wise for their new facility. their contribution as a % is significantly less than st kilda's, who you are having a shot at

even after you add in the cost of seaford ontop of it

This sort of post just reeks ignorance.

The Saints moving to Moorabbin is a positive one that is part of a strategic direction that also includes sponsorship and increased membership. Saints may not be in the same league as the Pies and Hawks (who were broke but received $$$$ from Tasmania that assisted them in recovering) but this move is a professional one.

The move to Seaford was out of necessity this move is an improvement something I am proud of. I would be disappointed if the club kept doing nothing instead of being proactive

Freeo as a club have received hand outs and will do so with their current move do not be a hypocrite

Do and try and stop deflecting by pretending to strike up causal conversation about Freo.

Huh!!! Absolute hypocrisy!!!!

The Saints move to Moorabbin is a positive one get over it, if you can not see the irony of you being critical of the Saints for getting funding and not being able to acknowledge that Freeeeo are doing the same you need to move on.

It is not deflecting it is debate that you can not engage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back