St Kilda trade and draft period 2015, Vote

Should Saints

• Add Depth. Trade Pick 3

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • Keep 3

Votes: 65 80.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt immensely that you'll be getting any top 30 picks off us, so you'd best look elsewhere, like teams that are already in finals contention who will be looking for the older talent you'd be looking to trade for picks.

Sad fact is , playing like there are just kills the value of their players as trades. And to a degree they will pay a cost for their previous picks not coming on ...like Watson. Not that dissimilar to Goddard in his draft but now he will be lucky to get a list spot somewhere.

Sad fact is , playing like there are just kills the value of their players as trades. And to a degree they will pay a cost for their previous picks not coming on ...like Watson. Not that dissimilar to Goddard in his draft but now he will be lucky to get a list spot somewhere.
That's why they need to part company with Mick ASAP, as their club is just in a holding pattern right now, waiting for the inevitable. They are playing way below their capabilities so there is a decent chance that if they make a move soon they can salvage some of the season thanks to a fresh start and get more out of their trades at the end of the year as a result.

Can understand the logic but if you are serious... ruling anyone out at the start is restrictive.

Getting rid of players is not hard. Delist them. What you have to work out is whats your objective. 4 or 5 picks in top 25 etc? and then work from there. If you are really lucky , you may be able to find a club that will take Kruszer as a FA and get and end of R1 , mid R2. Then you trade Henderson for a late R1. Then IF you get a really good offer for Gibbs you would be crazy not to consider it , even if it means soaking up some of his wage.

But getting Saints R1 would be impossible without giving someone you would want to keep like Menzel. Forget Saints imo.

We need top end talent. Only guys I can say I'm happy to keep at this stage is Menzel, Cripps, Bell, Simpson, Buckey, Docherty. Rest of the list I can say we would take best offer. Blues need do a complete turnover, still baffled how so many guys on the list are using up rediculous amounts of the cap.
I have a feeling that both Blues and Saints will be in a bidding war for Rice, was reading report for Metro-Country game and was on of best players, so agree think both teams for now will avoid trades or exchange of picks

We need top end talent. Only guys I can say I'm happy to keep at this stage is Menzel, Cripps, Bell, Simpson, Buckey, Docherty. Rest of the list I can say we would take best offer. Blues need do a complete turnover, still baffled how so many guys on the list are using up rediculous amounts of the cap.
I have a feeling that both Blues and Saints will be in a bidding war for Rice, was reading report for Metro-Country game and was on of best players, so agree think both teams for now will avoid trades or exchange of picks

Thats still the Messiah complex. You have had top end talent. How many early picks have you had the last few years. I will quote a good post from our board...

To be 'tanking level' , you'd have to probably be in the bottom three. If you go by the fifteen drafts between 1998-2012 (I'll say 2013/14 are too early to call), here's what I would consider to be the best players from the top three picks, compared to the best from outside the top three (I'm ignoring rookie picks and father/sons):

1998: Des Headland (#1)/Lenny Hayes (#10)
1999: Paul Hasleby (#2)/Matthew Pavlich (#4) - legitimately half a dozen that I could pick that were better than Hasleby, including Geelong's famous four
2000: Nick Riewoldt (#1)/Kane Cornes (#20)
2001: Chris Judd (#3)/Sam Mitchell (#36)
2002: Brendon Goddard (#1)/Jarrad McVeigh (#5)
2003: Adam Cooney (#1)/David Mundy (#19)
2004: Jarryd Roughead (#2)/Lance Franklin (#5)
2005: Marc Murphy (#1)/Scott Pendlebury (#5)
2006: Bryce Gibbs (#1)/Joel Selwood (#7)
2007: Trent Cotchin (#2)/Harry Taylor (#17)
2008: Stephen Hill (#3)/Dayne Beams (#29)
2009: Dustin Martin (#3)/Nat Fyfe (#20)
2010: David Swallow (#1)/Luke Parker (#40)
2011: Dom Tyson (#3)/Chad Wingard (#6) - very tempted to give the nod to Lachie Neale (at #58) here
2012: Lachie Whitfield (#1)/Ollie Wines (#7)

Not sure about others, but I'd probably score that 12-3, in favour of the later picks (Riewoldt, Judd and Goddard being the exceptions and even Judd/Goddard aren't that clear-cut over Mitchell/McVeigh), which includes several that were passed on by every other team, or close to. And an alarming total of only three surefire HOFers from those 1-3 picks (admittedly Hodge is a certainty too), compared to seven from the later picks (and Fyfe would be, with a couple more years under his belt)......

You need a lot of picks from the top end of the draft say top 30 ...and you need to develop them.Plenty of good players are not single figure draft picks. Clubs have PPicks , FSons but what make a really solid list is getting a top player from late/rookie picks.

Thats still the Messiah complex. You have had top end talent. How many early picks have you had the last few years. I will quote a good post from our board...

You need a lot of picks from the top end of the draft say top 30 ...and you need to develop them.Plenty of good players are not single figure draft picks. Clubs have PPicks , FSons but what make a really solid list is getting a top player from late/rookie picks.

I agree we have had surplus of pick 1's, picks in top 10, first rd and second rounders and priority picks but very little has gone right for us. Hopefully new recruiter can change things

I agree we have had surplus of pick 1's, picks in top 10, first rd and second rounders and priority picks but very little has gone right for us. Hopefully new recruiter can change things
Again... recruiter? Its the development as much as anything. Why has Richmond, Footscray joined Collingwood and Geelong as having a VFL side of their own. You need to get more out of the players you pick , not more out the recruiters that pick them.

Again... recruiter? Its the development as much as anything. Why has Richmond, Footscray joined Collingwood and Geelong as having a VFL side of their own. You need to get more out of the players you pick , not more out the recruiters that pick them.

Agree, developmrnt has to compliment recruiting as recruiting has to compliment development. Since Judd has arrived it has been all Judd at the top class level

Blues need stock up on picks IMO. Strategy heading into this coming draft is try get least 5-6 picks in top 30. If we can trade 1 and get two picks in top 10 I'd do it. If Blues can trade Gibbs or Yarran for a high first Rd then I'd do it. It depends how highly this draft is rated

But need go harder for picks rather than players like we did in the past
Would you trade Jacksch, Boekhurst and pick 20 for pick 3?

You traded pick 2 and your 2nd rounder for Tyson and pick 9, IIRC.
Correct, but given how successful the trade has been for us and the fact that we've traded every second round pick we've had since 2011 (about 5 of them), it feels more or less inconsequential. Few good players who went around there though in Impey, Crouch, Merrett, Hartung, and Lewis Taylor who we were apparently into. At any rate, happy with Salem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway Carlton and St Kilda trading is pointless. Both clubs are in the same position, only St Kilda accepted it a while ago and are taking the necessary steps towards climbing back up the ladder already.

If St Kilda are going to trade a top 5 pick they'll be trading it for a young gun - which is the exact type of player Carlton don't want to give up.

not taking the piss but i'm seriously struggling to think of 1 carlton player i'd trade a top 4 pick for

I mentioned at start of thread it doesn't have to be a trade with Carlton, similar to what Dees did few years ago. Maybe Pick 3 for Sloan and a mid second Rd?

Carlton need goalkickers.

Swap ya Pick 4 and Schneiderman for Pick 1 ;)

hahaha

Carlton need goalkickers.

Swap ya Pick 4 and Schneiderman for Pick 1 ;)

hahaha

Blues need a proper rebuild, not a quick fix like previous attempts in the past

Unless the goal kicker shows elite promise, not interested. If we were to make a trade with Saints and have been doing more thinking would have to be something very appealing that would make Saints happy about giving away pick 3.
Maybe even Yarran, Jaksch and 20

But looks like Saints won't make the deal so have to explore other avenues and just focus on current picks and selections
1 Jacob Weiterman
2R Bailey Rice
3R Jack Silvagni
at the moment looking like this

2016 draft will mostly go for the next best forward available

Last edited:
Last time we traded you pick 4 we got Aaron Hamill, if you got another like him we'll take him off your hands ;)

Back