Game Day St Kilda v Brisbane Round 1 NAB Cup 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont under estimate how slippery the ball becomes when playing in the tropics. Our skills still need considerable improvement but we gotmwithin 3 points of a full strength Brisbane side playing in conditions they are used too! I was really impressed with how we ran the game out and looked fitter than the opposition in the last 1/4. More positives than negatives from the game....

Spoke to my sister who lives in Brisbane and she mentioned how horrible the conditions were up there. Hot and very humid. Can't have helped with the skills. No wonder there were so many errors.
Heard the same thing last night. From the perspective of someone from Vic, it was apparently very unpleasantly humid in particular.

Tom current what is it now, 5 years on a list and he still can't effin handball. Worse than that he didn't even follow it up to correct his mistake. Where's this elite fitness too, he's hardly running end to end or helping with out lack of run and spread. He's going backwards, Weller is screaming ahead.

Lonie, Holmes, Mccartin, Steven, Membrey the highlights for me

Good to have an enforcer back in Membrey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've said it before, and I'll keep right on saying it - it's why IMO he's a lock - Membrey is the forward line 'thug' we've been searching for for 10 years, ever since The Hammer retired.

Aaron+Hamill+St+Kilda+FC+Training+Session+83savGeaR4Sl.jpg

We're lucky to have the master watching over the development of the apprentice.

<<<<< I won't be disagreeing.... ;)

I've said it before, and I'll keep right on saying it - it's why IMO he's a lock - Membrey is the forward line 'thug' we've been searching for for 10 years, ever since The Hammer retired.

Aaron+Hamill+St+Kilda+FC+Training+Session+83savGeaR4Sl.jpg

We're lucky to have the master watching over the development of the apprentice.

Tom current what is it now, 5 years on a list and he still can't effin handball. Worse than that he didn't even follow it up to correct his mistake. Where's this elite fitness too, he's hardly running end to end or helping with out lack of run and spread. He's going backwards, Weller is screaming ahead.

Weller and Curren aren't competing for the same spot. Weller is the designated midfield tagger while Curren is a defensive small forward.

Those handballs may seem inconsequential to some, but the hard gut running to find space by the receiver is undone....

That's why it matters.

Weller and Curren aren't competing for the same spot. Weller is the designated midfield tagger while Curren is a defensive small forward.

That's already too many defensive roles.

Footy is moving away from that IMHO.

We won't score too much again this year if so many guys are just concentrating on nullifying their opponent.

I agree, too similar types, whatever part of the field they're in.

While Beams (who they seemed to suggest Mav was on) was probably best for Brisbane, Weller had a pretty good game the other way, with 18 disposals (at 78% efficiency, with just 1 clanger), 5 marks, 4 tackles, a goal, 2 inside 50's and a clearance. He could be really ready to step up his game to a new level this year, now that he's got 48 games under the belt, looks to be super-fit and also seems to have his head in a good place.

I really think we can expect improvement from the following group in particular this year, all things being equal: Newnes, Ross, Weller, Webster, Armo, Savage, Lee, Hickey (if fit enough). All in at least their 4th year at an AFL club this year and no longer "kids". Then of course we would be expecting improvement from the younger ones (in their 2nd or 3rd years) as well.

Last edited:

We won't score too much again this year if so many guys are just concentrating on nullifying their opponent.

It's only too many if that's all the players can do. Curren has shown that he is more than capable of doing more than tagging.

Last year he was ranked 2nd at the club for scoreboard impact from rounds 17-22 when he was moved forward. He also ranked 1st for forward 50 pressure and 2nd for groundball-gets in that time. He wasn't always played as a more defensive forward but did the job on a few of the more dangerous opposition running defenders (Murphy and Malceski).

I think people are getting way too worked up over 1 preseason game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people are getting way too worked up over 1 preseason game.
I'm not getting worked up, but the thing is that with Saad and Lonie breathing down his neck (not to mention Eli being back!), these games could virtually be "auditions" for as few as one spot, so a performance like that won't have done him any favours, especially with the other two bringing a higher level of skill, scoring threat and arguably greater long term potential to the table. It may even cost him a spot in the team for next week, if we happen to want to have a look at Saunders (and/or Sinclair), who can also play that similar role.

Last edited:

Curren out, Minchington in

Darren has very good foot skills & can kicka long ball. What Tom Curren has defensively in shutting down his man, Darren has in his offensive ability & can be dangerous if his opponent isn't accountable. Give him a go I say!

Curren out, Minchington in

Darren has very good foot skills & can kicka long ball. What Tom Curren has defensively in shutting down his man, Darren has in his offensive ability & can be dangerous if his opponent isn't accountable. Give him a go I say!
Think he is injured.

Didn't play intra club or yesterday.

A little bit of perspective from this time of the year it is a practice game in hot humid conditions in Queensland.
Happy the young players got another game and some of the kids showed something at this level.
All about getting games into players with no serious injuries .

Just relax and enjoy watching the kids guys and be patient ( with Coach too)
Good balanced view.
I distinctly remember seeing our team go up to Qld into heat & humidity and just melting.... yes, even the great Banger struggled to run out games up there.
By all accounts the boys were running out the game better than the Lions so it says a lot for our fitness base (at least on that one showing).
Lions may have shut down by the last quarter but the players still had to put in more than they did in the first half to get close.
Great to see the kids play and looking forward to seeing Goddard MkII & others next week hopefully.

Also I've never heard of a defensive fwd pocket. Sure there's defensive half forwards but a fwd pocket. I can't think of one side that has ever had one. Probs just semantics but I do think it highlights that curren might be mismatched for that rule due to lack of height and ability overhead to be a medium tall

Membrey has taken that defensive half forward rule, ala hammil/mayne etc he can at least hurt the opposition on the score board or by just drilling them

Last edited:
A closer look at the stats show that Longer played just 66% of the game, yet had by far the most hitouts on the ground (26, next best Luenberger with 12), he also had 3 clearances and 6 of his 7 disposals were contested. While good in those areas, unfortunately that pretty much sums up his play at the moment- good in the ruck and the packs that form after the hitouts, but of very little use once the ball leaves the packs.

Firstly - this match was played at a peripheral ground with a ridiculous amount of council expenditure and logistics to make it work. Main parking for the match was over 2 kilometres away and patrons were shuttled in by buses. There was no seating or shade at the ground and boundary line tent structures were used for ground level coaches boxes effectively obscuring the view of the match for about a third of the western side of the oval.

The crowd nevertheless was patient and good-spirited especially considering the enormous line-up for shuttle buses after the match

The ground was in good nick. It drained well (remembering we received a torrential downpour causing many sporting abandonments a week earlier.

The ball was slippery. I returned the ball to the boundary umpire at one stage - I think it was a wet weather ball but was completely dry and had a slippery rubberised coating which is probably not suited to dry weather. The boundary umpires were ordinary but the ball was slipping in their hands as they were throwing in making them look even more pathetic.

The match was not a spectacle, but I relish any opportunity for live spectation of my Saints. I was concerned when Billings was subbed off, but then saw him walking without ice or any visible limp at half time. I think it was more of a tightness than a full hamstring strain. Sensibly came off before it was serious. Was walking with Steven and they appeared unconcerned.

I haven't had a chance to watch any footage, but here are my thoughts:

Geary best on. Courageous.
Weller a major contributor. Some people sitting near me were QAFL officials and Lion bigwigs. I repeatedly heard that Rockliffe was having an off day and this was curtailing the Lions attack. Guess who was tagging Rockliffe. Weller not only shut him down but he outperformed him in every measure.
Newnes was one of our best.
Armo is a beast. He was great inside and he added physicality to an unintimidating Saints midfield combo. Drew a tag from Lester.
Dayne Beams wanted to give a good impression to his new team mates and his aggression level was high, but he was a pussy in comparison to Armo.

Brisbane's offence looked impotent, but I believe it was in a large part due to our competent defence. Geary was best on. Fisher was great, Dempster was classy, Delaney is turning out to be one of our best recruiting results. Savage running of half back was the go to man. Acres impressed with some no nonsense stuff but needs to get more of it. (He's tall - must be 192+ cm) Roberton was better than in the intraclub and still has plenty of improvement in him. Has built up a lot. Shoulders ++.

Our forward line was more effective than Brisbane's. (Given the huge number of entries they had). Membey is built. A big strong lad that must be only a cm or 2 shy of being a key position prospect. McCartin is not going to be - he already is a gun. Got double teamed a few times with Merritt coming in to physically intimidate the lad. Took it in his stride. Lonie was opportunistic. Our new Milne. Lee showed some good offensive work but his rucking is a mistake. Our first goal resulted from an incident where Lee was virtually shirtfronted, with the wind knocked out of him the ball dribbled his way - he recovered and got the ball to Templeton who rocketed away and unselfishly passed it to Membrey who goaled. Great work by all. Saad chased well but didn't contribute enough offensively

Shenton is huge. Barely recognised him without the shags. Did a lot of running without contributing a whole lot.
I think Ross was matched on Taylor - who was their best, probably the match-losing match up. Ross can and did so some classy stuff but he doesn't have the speed to match it with the likes of Taylor. Longer was OK, Holmes is raw but entertaining - might be a player. Curren chased a lot. I think he took on Rich who was kicking out for them and trying to play the loose man in defence. Curren may have played a role for the club but wasn't impressive as far as I could see.

PS One player I am not sure where to put is Josh Bruce. You can see by the way he positions himself he has a football brain. He is quick to react and is a leader when we lose possession in the forward line. Gets to the right distance away and finds the target to spoil. He tackles well, he has a bit of pace and he fights for the contested ball. The only thing he can't do is kick. His kicking is appalling and it doesn't seem to be improving. I can see why Richo wants him up there but I don't think it can work. His possessions up forward are basically missed opportunities that could have gone to someone who can kick.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back