Review St Kilda v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I felt like in the second half, Spencer was being too timid. When the ball was coming deep into the forward line, he wouldn't commit himself to contests, I think partly because he was over thinking it and partly because he didn't want to get in anyone's way.

The second half, though, he was backing himself and having a big presence. If not for the rain, he could have easily had another 2 or 3 goals. I'm glad we didn't sub him off, which I thought might have happened in the third quarter.

Nope. Cheated his way to three goals... :rolleyes:
Yep!
Some people see the glass half full, others the glass half empty......
And then there are some who not only see the glass half empty but someone has spat in the glass. :rolleyes:

This about Spence, from Tony on SS, the best inside word you'll ever get.

Was unbelievably nervous before the game. By the end of the warm up he was spent both physically and mentally. At half time Sammy had a chat to him and said they were going to give him the whole second half, just go out and enjoy yourself.
The club has had a difficult decision when to play him. To be honest his form didn't warrant the selection, but the Richmond game had been pencilled in for a while. Thought it was the best match ups, the best ground, and the game time, and round was the game that would promote the LEAST amount of media publicity. ( Final team not selected til after footy shows, Hawks Cats game etc ) Think the club handled it well, most of the vibe were from our supporters, not the mainstream media.
The idea obviously was to show him what he needs to do in the off season.

Interesting stat that will be used:
Lance Franklin- First Game. Disposals 6 Kicks 5 Marks 2 Handball 1. Tackles 1. Goals 0
Spencer White -First Game. Disposals 6. Kicks 4. Marks 3. Handball 2. Tackles 1 Goals 3

Club knows what they've got as both a player and marketing tool. Just need to be very professional in there use.

No need for the roll eyes uncle. I more meant has anyone else from other teams had a cracking game? No doubt Spencer had a good first game.
Every reason; some people just can't enjoy things.

He's every chance for a nomination, the only other young bloke who really stood out over the weekend IMO was Will Langford, and he's too old I think. Tom Mitchell will probably get it though, the AFL being the AFL...

Yep!
Some people see the glass half full, others the glass half empty......
And then there are some who not only see the glass half empty but someone has spat in the glass. :rolleyes:

Yeah righto. I'm actually as excited as anyone. I taped the game and have already sat through his goals 3 times. My question as I explained to uncle barrels was that is their another eligible player who has had a good game that would go past him. I think the majority of people on this board are genuinely excited about his first game.

"We thought Spencer White showed us that he's a chance to become the forward that we need".

Richo in the post match video to members. That's some pretty big wraps, I think it's safe to say the club know what they have in Spencer and are a lot more confident about him internally than a lot of people here have been at times. I can remember blokes writing him off when he was returning from injury in the Dev squad earlier in the year.

"We thought Spencer White showed us that he's a chance to become the forward that we need".

Richo in the post match video to members. That's some pretty big wraps, I think it's safe to say the club know what they have in Spencer and are a lot more confident about him internally than a lot of people here have been at times. I can remember blokes writing him off when he was returning from injury in the Dev squad earlier in the year.
Didn't many also write off Webster when he was playing dev squad..

Spencer was very similar to all the VFL games I've seen.

He had 1 touch, whilst his opponent got plenty in the first half.... The he bobs up with a good mark and goal.

He cheated a bit for his last two goals, sagging back hoping for a turn over... But at least he kicked them.

Like to see him play 12-18 games next year.

It would be kinder to say that there are some players that just know where to be, and if that means they get a cheapie then they should get the credit for it, knowing where to be is a great unteachable skill, to have it and have faith in it on debut at 19 is rare indeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it was a good game in the end. I was disappointed Lenny couldn't get more involved but it was still great to see him in person one more time and he went as hard as ever.

I agree with Richo's comments re: Spencer White's game. On balance it was a good game for him and he nailed his opportunities, but he still has a long way to go in terms of getting to contests as well as defensively. Watching at the ground it was especially stark how half hearted some of his leads were and how he didn't really demand the ball even when his opponent sagged right off. Could (and hopefully will) learn a lot from Roo in that regards.

Thought my man Mav was one of our best. Really went hard, got involved, showed some aggression and took some strong grabs. Foot skills lacked a bit of polish but overall a great game for him. Still think he's one of our more promising young players.

Overall we lacked some polish and aggression which is what you'd expect from a young team. Also disappointed Jack got hold of us again, Delaney wasn't terrible but he got thoroughly beaten and there was no 3rd man up. Spoil some of his marks on the lead 45 out and Richmond likely doesn't score, and we would've been right in there to win.

Well it was a good game in the end. I was disappointed Lenny couldn't get more involved but it was still great to see him in person one more time and he went as hard as ever.

I agree with Richo's comments re: Spencer White's game. On balance it was a good game for him and he nailed his opportunities, but he still has a long way to go in terms of getting to contests as well as defensively. Watching at the ground it was especially stark how half hearted some of his leads were and how he didn't really demand the ball even when his opponent sagged right off. Could (and hopefully will) learn a lot from Roo in that regards.

Thought my man Mav was one of our best. Really went hard, got involved, showed some aggression and took some strong grabs. Foot skills lacked a bit of polish but overall a great game for him. Still think he's one of our more promising young players.

Overall we lacked some polish and aggression which is what you'd expect from a young team. Also disappointed Jack got hold of us again, Delaney wasn't terrible but he got thoroughly beaten and there was no 3rd man up. Spoil some of his marks on the lead 45 out and Richmond likely doesn't score, and we would've been right in there to win.
Delaney's hip is bothering him, explains why his form has tailed off..

I know we discuss individual performances, but gee we are a bit harsh on Joey. It's as if players aren't allowed to lose form.

Joey is a champion. So he's not having his best year. Without Dal, he cops the main tag because he can turn a game if let loose.

He may very well be struggling to come t terms with it. If he wants out, then he will let the club know in due course.

But he has been a champion and even champions have poor seasons.

His biggest asset is his run and carry. He is an outside mid so I'm not sure why people are having a go at him for not playing inside. Maybe he is instructed to stay out and receive. If he gets drawn into a contest, then who's there to receive?

Good call. I don't want to see him go and I hope that he is simply out of form. I posted that he had injury problems [mostly groin and other niggles] about 8 weeks ago (might be longer but I can't be arsed searching my earlier posts) and that was from a source very very close to him. Not sure if he is over those problems but sometimes blokes find it hard to get back into the swing, cop the hardest tag etc... As I said yesterday - I hope the club has not said he is going. Heart can soul blokes need to stay.

You'd hope Montagna is carrying some type of injury and can bounce back to his old form next year after surgery/rest in the off season, if he isn't then you have to wonder if he's worth keeping around as he's mostly been a passenger this year.
I wouldn't be surprised if he is but he also looks like he's thrown in the towel a bit mentally this season. I would keep him around though I think he has a fair bit of footy left in him and he is a damaging player when the team is a bit more up and about. At worst he will demand a bit of attention and ease the load on some of our young guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back