Analysis St Kilda: Where are they at with the rebuild?

Remove this Banner Ad

Our first 22 next year with what we have:

B: Webster Goddard Geary
HB: Savage Dempster Roberton
C: Newnes Armitage Montagna
HF: Billings Roo Sinclair
F: Bruce Hickey/Paddy Lonie
Foll:Longer Steven Dunstan
I/C:Membrey Weller Ross Acres

And then we have Hickey/Paddy, D-Mac, Murdoch, Minchington, Markworth, Wright, Delaney, Lee, Curren, Ellen Degeneres, Gilbert (not too sure, he's been really good through the middle the past few weeks)

THEN, over the next few years, we go to the draft; get another 3 top 10 picks, 3 2nd rounders, couple of 3rd rounders.

And we also go to Free Agency and to the trade table to get what we need and to improve on what we already have, hopefully picking up a few elite players through that.

And we filter out the players who are underperforming.

We are looking very strong with the rebuild, doing really really well. Under our circumstances, realistically, it couldn't have been much better than this.

We are going to be ******* scary, and will destroy the rest of the campaigners in the AFL in a few years time

So your call is that Fisher and Ray are gone. Don't disagree to be honest, but feel guilty after Fishers interview after the Geelong game saying he wanted to stay on to mentor the young guys....

With the extra mids required Saints are supposedly looking at Quinten Narkle (Son of Phil), Harley Bennell, Aaron Hall, Jaegar O'Meara all from Gold Coast), Kelly from GWS, Aishe from Brisbane. Except for Narkle, all the rest would have to be traded for, but I am sure if we managed one or two it would bolster our midfield no end.

I know who Phil is, but Quinton? where did he come from?

Oh sorry :oops::oops:

Yep sounds a bit left field but can only think of Phil's connection with the club....good to see we're looking everywhere for the right kind of player...especially in a perceived weak draft...

Oh sorry :oops::oops:

Yep sounds a bit left field but can only think of Phil's connection with the club....good to see we're looking everywhere for the right kind of player...especially in a perceived weak draft...
What kind of player is he? Will he go late in the draft?

So your call is that Fisher and Ray are gone. Don't disagree to be honest, but feel guilty after Fishers interview after the Geelong game saying he wanted to stay on to mentor the young guys....

It was in the paper yesterday that we offered Ray a 1 year extension. i wouldn't

I can't see the point of having Ray around for another season when he's a monty to be playing mostly VFL. Still got plenty of experience.

Been a really good clubman for saints but they need to move forward happy for him to play elsewhere .
There are Jack Sinclair's out there we need more of them.

Just having a look at some stats and noticed that we are currently 8th for inside 50's. 0.3 away from being 7th which I think is a very good effort for a rebuilding team. Demons are 17th in comparison and top of the table Freo are 10th. Basically they're not interested in scoring. We'd probably be last for quality going in but that's a start.

I'm hoping that the offensive stuff will be the next evolution in our game after this great defensive improvement. How good would it be to eventually be a team that sides can't keep up with offensively like a Hawthorn or WC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See my post in the Sydney review. On the weekend, we scored a goal every 12 entries.
We have a number of players who can get possession of the ball, but are poor decision makers in general play and have poor footskills- it is very demoralising to a team when good work is not rewarded by a goal, and instead a cheap turnover to the opposition mostly resulting in goals to them. How many of this kind of player can we keep on the list? It has practically cost us a couple of wins this season and no doubt will continue this way next season if not addressed, and wins move us up the ladder toward the finals ideally. Some tough decisions should be made at season's end with the playing list.

In 2002 St Kilda won 5.5 games, winning once against a finals opponent. Points differential per game was -22.

In 2013 the Western Bulldogs won 8 games, winning once against a finals opponent. Points differential per game was -15.

So far in 2015 St Kilda has won 6.5 games, winning once against a finals opponent. Points differential per game is -18.

What happened two years after the first two years I mentioned?

2017 would be five years out of the finals (2012-2016). Port Adelaide missed finals in 2008-2012, winning 7, 9, 10, 3 & 5.5 games. So far we have won 12, 5, 4 & 6.5.

Everything should point to finals in 2017.

We have a number of players who can get possession of the ball, but are poor decision makers in general play and have poor footskills- it is very demoralising to a team when good work is not rewarded by a goal, and instead a cheap turnover to the opposition mostly resulting in goals to them. How many of this kind of player can we keep on the list? It has practically cost us a couple of wins this season and no doubt will continue this way next season if not addressed, and wins move us up the ladder toward the finals ideally. Some tough decisions should be made at season's end with the playing list.
No one is arguing with you re average players with average to poor skills.
Unfortunately, that's what happens when you pick from a compromised draft or don't have enough early picks. Let's not forget when the Hawks were building, their second pick was anywhere from 17-20 as we only had a 16 team comp.
Our golden years of the draft will be seem to be 13,14,15 and 16. By that time most of the average players on our list will dissapear. We just need to be patient.

No one is arguing with you re average players with average to poor skills.
Unfortunately, that's what happens when you pick from a compromised draft or don't have enough early picks. Let's not forget when the Hawks were building, their second pick was anywhere from 17-20 as we only had a 16 team comp.
Our golden years of the draft will be seem to be 13,14,15 and 16. By that time most of the average players on our list will dissapear. We just need to be patient.
Yep- patience with the younger blokes, but I think we need to be very very smart with recruiting

Just watched the last 7 minutes of the drawn grand final. I still don't believe how Milne didn't grab the ball at the end or Kosi didn't take that pack mark or how in all that fumbling we couldn't just thump the s**t out of the ball with a soccer kick to the goals...

Can't we just f**king well rebuild quicker and go 119 some hapless club!

Just watched the last 7 minutes of the drawn grand final. I still don't believe how Milne didn't grab the ball at the end or Kosi didn't take that pack mark or how in all that fumbling we couldn't just thump the s**t out of the ball with a soccer kick to the goals...

Please do not mention that game. :'(

Our first 22 next year with what we have:

B: Webster Goddard Geary
HB: Savage Dempster Roberton
HF: Billings Roo Sinclair
F: Bruce Hickey/Paddy Lonie
Foll:Longer Steven Dunstan
I/C:Membrey Weller Ross Acres

And then we have Hickey/Paddy, D-Mac, Murdoch, Minchington, Markworth, Wright, Delaney, Lee, Curren, Ellen Degeneres, Gilbert (not too sure, he's been really good through the middle the past few weeks)

THEN, over the next few years, we go to the draft; get another 3 top 10 picks, 3 2nd rounders, couple of 3rd rounders.

And we also go to Free Agency and to the trade table to get what we need and to improve on what we already have, hopefully picking up a few elite players through that.

And we filter out the players who are underperforming.

We are looking very strong with the rebuild, doing really really well. Under our circumstances, realistically, it couldn't have been much better than this.

We are going to be ******* scary, and will destroy the rest of the campaigners in the AFL in a few years time

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Hypothetically what would people think of this list in 2017? (we can dream)

B: Webster Delaney Geary
HB: Savage Goddard Tucker
HF: Billings Bruce Membrey
F: Lonie Paddy Sinclair
Foll: Longer Steven Dunstan
I/C: Acres Weller DMac Hickey

Ideally from here you want an explosive, pacey, midfielder type with size (like Dangerfield). Thinking Nakia Cockatoo? or Bradley Hill?

uncertain whether roo will still be there as with dempster, fisher etc. Gilbert will be thereabouts im guessing to swing back and forth but that doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence...

There was an incedent, might have been collingwoods last goal.

Fisher kicked it down the line to Milne (or it might have been Mini, or even Schneider) when Kosi had just come on the ground in acres of space charging down the center square. Maxwell Spoils, Collingwood rebound and goal.

People blame the freaky bounce n such, but there's lots which could have been done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back