Analysis Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Mar 4, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Weber played the hand he had back then about as well as he could have. As it was Port and the Commission lost the club vote by a single club. If Weber had not been so bullish about wearing black and white Collingwood probably would have voted for our entry. It was that close.

Even under REH's ideal alternative reality the AFL clubs would vote on any agreement reached between Port and the AFL Commission. Between Port's announcement and the vote does anyone seriously believe the SANFL, like the street poets in Jungleland, would have stood back and let it all be? They would would have lobbied every AFL club offering them 5 times the money Port were going to pay, reduced entry player concessions, unfettered use of Football Park, the support of the majority of the SA football public (with a nod and a wink to possible civil unrest at Port matches ) and the SANFL team would pay its way on all fronts (travel, accommodation etc) and require no aid from the AFL.

The minute it becomes public knowledge it becomes open warfare. Even without a court case the SANFL would have fought as hard and dirty as possible. So many of those AFL clubs were still living beyond their means and at the creditor's door, which way would they have voted? They would have been attracted to money like iron filings to a magnet.

I agree with this. We needed a deal done and dusted, with the first announcement being: Port Adelaide has been granted a license and will be admitted to the AFL in 1991. Without our move, the SANFL would have delayed to the extent possible, however the AFL's preference would have always been a composite side and the SANFL would have entered eventually. We lit the fire-cracker under their *****.

But we can't change the past, we can only agitate for change in the present to improve our future. The first step is towards a stadium deal that will keep us strong even when crowds drop off. All of this public focus on what the clubs are making (or not making) can only be a good thing. If we don't get as close to what we want (appreciating you'll never get everything) what we want, then we continue to only agree to short term agreements with further review. The AFL still needs 2 teams in SA, the SMA needs games played at AO - there is no need to commit to outrageous terms IMO.

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
Wrinkle's article in the rag today is like a cash for comment article paid directly from Wee Licker's Super Fund. Even "The Team for All South Australians" didn't escape a dig.

The best piece in the sports section is the readers comment that we should have stayed at West Lakes whilst the Crows move to Adelaide. And then in the letters section there is a 75 yo Crow campaigner forgetting about the hand outs his team continues to receive.

fine wines

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2014
Riding a bolt of lightning
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Southampton
I have only 2 questions regarding F***wits article and that is who owns the companies who charge apparently such exorbitant catering and cleaning fees and if the SMA need to pay a dividend back to SACA and SANFL but those 2 entities run the SMA then isn't that dipping their snouts in the trough twice?

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dittmar just said said on MMM that he has it on good authority from his source at the brewery (read Haysman I assume) that the Adelaide Oval sold exactly twice as much beer, that's 100% More, at the Port/Hawks game than they did at the Crows/Gold Coast game. He then went onto say that speaking with a publican in Rundle Street, the publican said he much preferred Port games as they filled the bar, not so for Crows games. Even Roo said he'd heard a similar thing from a publican in North Adelaide.

So what this leads me to conclude is, Port supporters are a bunch of pissheads, Crows supporters are true to their perceived (real) demographic and stereotype and Port despite slightly lower crowd numbers are contributing a s**t load more to the SMA's coffers. A fact that should not be lost on KT/Koch/the media and the Whicker/Olsen.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It shows what I've always figured, that Port supporters embrace the whole city football experience by getting into the city early and making a day of it, where crows supporters either have their BBQ's or leave for the game at the latest possible moment and then head home straight afterwards. You only have to be around the city before each clubs home games to see this.

Dittmar just said said on MMM that he has it on good authority from his source at the brewery (read Haysman I assume) that the Adelaide Oval sold exactly twice as much beer, that's 100% More, at the Port/Hawks game than they did at the Crows/Gold Coast game. He then went onto say that speaking with a publican in Rundle Street, the publican said he much preferred Port games as they filled the bar, not so for Crows games. Even Roo said he'd heard a similar thing from a publican in North Adelaide.

So what this leads me to conclude is, Port supporters are a bunch of pissheads, Crows supporters are true to their perceived (real) demographic and stereotype and Port despite slightly lower crowd numbers are contributing a s**t load more to the SMA's coffers. A fact that should not be lost on KT/Koch/the media and the Whicker/Olsen.

Our breakeven attendance was always 3 to 4 thousand lower than theirs on per person spend. Expanding that to a full house the gap would be massive. Say that again. Massive. I really like the way we go about it.

I hate that I keep delving into this thread, its like checking the facebook of an ex!

There is nothing I can do except get annoyed by what I read, I can't wait until this is all resolved and our financial future is set.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Well I'm not a big drinker but it took 4 beers for the train carrying my mates and their kids to get from Semaphore to Adelaide. :D

Remember the reluctance of the sanfl to even allow drinking in your seat, and then eventually, but with the lid thing ffs and now they're swimming around in our pourage profits like Scrooge McDuck

Remember the reluctance of the sanfl to even allow drinking in your seat, and then eventually, but with the lid thing ffs and now they're swimming around in our pourage profits like Scrooge McDuck

A. Fricken. Men.

And The Wrinkled Prune has the audacity to level the greed accusation towards the two clubs.

we need the auditor general to release these sort of figures.

And a bit of leaking by Haysman would be handy as well.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Not sure how relevant it is, but heard on the weekend it costs Port/The SANFL 15g to put us up and host the miners cup. It use to cost under 10k at AAMI

Wrinkle's article in the rag today is like a cash for comment article paid directly from Wee Licker's Super Fund. Even "The Team for All South Australians" didn't escape a dig.

His argument about us not paying rent. Dios mio!

We pay down all expenses and don't get a whiff of pourage and catering. What would you call that?

Dittmar just said said on MMM that he has it on good authority from his source at the brewery (read Haysman I assume) that the Adelaide Oval sold exactly twice as much beer, that's 100% More, at the Port/Hawks game than they did at the Crows/Gold Coast game .....
Well Eddie Dingle was over for the Port/Hawks game. When Eddie drinks, everybody drinks.

Back