News Stadium: The NEW Home of Football in WA

Remove this Banner Ad

If physical characteristics had been primary criteria for selecting the site it certainly wouldn't be where it is. It's a #@#&ing swamp for Gods sake!

hope they're putting down some very deep piles (how deep to good rock?) Will the stadium be built in multi separate floating sections? (otherwise it might break up :eek:) - spectators can practice long jump in the upper walkways moving between sections

maybe a big moat and some significant pumps will be the go :rolleyes: and we can play boat races for real, not just in the bars - would put a new dimension to "doing laps"

hope they're putting down some very deep piles (how deep to good rock?) Will the stadium be built in multi separate floating sections? (otherwise it might break up :eek:) - spectators can practice long jump in the upper walkways moving between sections

maybe a big moat and some significant pumps will be the go :rolleyes: and we can play boat races for real, not just in the bars - would put a new dimension to "doing laps"
Yeah they are. Somewhere earlier in the thread there is an indicative elevation of them (the piles that is).

2500 each end? Impossible. Particularly since its three tier. I doubt the screens could be more than 500 at each at the absolute max. It does say "at least", is all I can offer..

Perhaps the rectangular and oval sports have different capacities. If the sight screens only cover 500 seats then the footy capacity can't be 60,000. Is there flexible seating?

Stadiums have gone to extremes now when blocking off seats behind the side screens. Not only are the seats directly behind the screen unusable, but also a couple of blocks to the left and right are covered in tarps too to appease the players. Considering a block is ~500 seats it's not unreasonable to assume that 2000-2500 seats at each end will be lost.

yeah, easy lose 2000 seats at either end. This is what they do for the Thunder at ANZ stadium. Whole bays tarped over in black. Eithad do very similar for the Renegades.

ANZ%20Stadium.ashx

Nah can't be. 5000 seats is nearly 10% of capacity, there is no way even modern extra big sight screen areas (doesn't stop modern batsmen whinging about movement around the edges of them even though they are literally 10 plus times the area they used to be. Waste of time if you ask me, but thats another story) at each end are occupying 5% each of the total crowd viewing circumference of the ground. That would involve all tiers of a stadium being blanked out for 50 metres across and all the way to the top (which they aren't).
There must be some other reason why the capacity is lower for cricket at these multipurpose games. Perhaps none of the restricted viewing seats can be sold because you can't see the pitch for instance? Etc.

Only other reason would be that the part of the ground that will be sectioned off for WACA members will be bigger than their membership base.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am just hoping it is the sight screen / blockout for cricket and we are not in a sub 60k scenario for all round format games.

It was barely worth starting at 60k when we know it won't even wipe out half the eagles waiting list... sub 60 for footy would mean that there would be no justification for even contemplating building it.

I am just hoping it is the sight screen / blockout for cricket and we are not in a sub 60k scenario for all round format games.

It was barely worth starting at 60k when we know it won't even wipe out half the eagles waiting list... sub 60 for footy would mean that there would be no justification for even contemplating building it.
One would ask the question: why do we even deserve 60k when we can't even top 40k at our current ground?

One would ask the question: why do we even deserve 60k when we can't even top 40k at our current ground?
The seats are all sold for these matches these days. % of members hardly or never go and of course there are no walk ups.
I would expect our crowd to be in the low to mid 40's for normal games, higher for games agaist Carlton Collingwood and Essendon (a tick higher for WC's games ) and full for derbies.

The seats are all sold for these matches these days. % of members hardly or never go and of course there are no walk ups.
I would expect our crowd to be in the low to mid 40's for normal games, higher for games agaist Carlton Collingwood and Essendon (a tick higher for WC's games ) and full for derbies.
And that's why I'm glad it's only 60k

Would hate the thing to be a third empty most weeks. Would be devoid of atmosphere

If you look at the prices charged and the seats sold, it seems that there is a fairly continuous price elastic demand for seats across the southern states. We have gone for a boutique small stadium with high prices. The other states have been more inclusive.

They have lots of kids at the footy... we don't. A 53k stadium in Adelaide is similar to us having a plus 80k stadium.

Thats a pretty simplistic view mate.

Yes we are averaging about 37-38k per game but we are also selling out every game which means there are probably 5k of other fans that would love to get along to a game but simply can't even if there are empty seats.

The issue is members not going and then not passiong on their membership.

We should at least match the crowd figures of the Adelaide clubs with a more comfortable stadium in a larger city.

And that's why I'm glad it's only 60k

Would hate the thing to be a third empty most weeks. Would be devoid of atmosphere

If it was ready for 2016 we would sell the ground out before the season even started. Not sure why anyone would be worried about 2/3rds full stadiums at the moment.

The only concern (and it's not a big one) is if they insist on having an insanely high number of seats (like 10k) available for the general public, therefore reducing the incentive to buy a membership. That might hurt crowds if we have a few shocking years on field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back