Cars & Transportation Start/Stop Engines

Remove this Banner Ad

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Hi all -

I recently just got a new car that has Start/Stop technology which is essentially when the car turns the engine off when the brakes are applied and on again when the accelarator is pressed to save fuel. This can happen a few times a trip - peak hour is the worst!

My question is how does this affect other components of the vehicle? I imagine that can't be good for the engine?

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
They run a special type of battery for it I know that. The engine itself will be fine. The only thing I would think that gets a hammering is the starter motor but they must use a stronger unit surely.

If its a Mazda you can turn it off if you dont like it.

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
They run a special type of battery for it I know that. The engine itself will be fine. The only thing I would think that gets a hammering is the starter motor but they must use a stronger unit surely.

If its a Mazda you can turn it off if you dont like it.

Do you think I would save more money running it or not replacing whatever part it ruins?
Polo.

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
Do you think I would save more money running it or not replacing whatever part it ruins?
Polo.
The fuel saving is miniscule. I doubt you would even notice the difference of stop/start technology on fuel in the real world. Maybe get an extra couple of kms out of a tank. Its up to you. If you are still in warranty I wouldn't worry about it breaking. If its out of warranty I would just turn it off if you can. It probably wont have any issues but you never know.

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
The fuel saving is miniscule. I doubt you would even notice the difference of stop/start technology on fuel in the real world. Maybe get an extra couple of kms out of a tank. Its up to you. If you are still in warranty I wouldn't worry about it breaking. If its out of warranty I would just turn it off if you can. It probably wont have any issues but you never know.

I'm not so much worried about breaking the part as I am about wearing out the parts sooner so I have to change parts more out of warranty say in 5-10 years time. I imagine enabling start/stop would affect that? I thought that perhaps the battery or engine of Start/Stop may differ from cars without that component so it wouldn't impact on the longevity but I have no idea...

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
In heavy city traffic, cutting the engine can save a fair bit of money, especially over an extended time.

The car is designed to do it, so it shouldn't create any additional maintenance issues. Haven't heard of people having problems after a few years but then again this feature hasn't been commonplace for very long.

Besides, the money you save on fuel can go into the new injectors / starter / whatever :p

Moshie The Mook

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Sep 16, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
If you're worried, don't use brakes in stop start conditions. Just look for cars with nice soft bumpers to run into and slow down your momentum. Volvo's are good for this purpose. Happy motoring:).

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Hi all -

I recently just got a new car that has Start/Stop technology which is essentially when the car turns the engine off when the brakes are applied and on again when the accelarator is pressed to save fuel. This can happen a few times a trip - peak hour is the worst!

My question is how does this affect other components of the vehicle? I imagine that can't be good for the engine?

I assume you are talking about the I-Stop technology that Mazda and some other manufacturers have fitted to their vehicles.

I have had a Mazda CX-5 for a year and it has I-Stop. There is no choice you buy a Mazda and that is what you get.

The car is fine, it is reliable, runs well and rides well for an all wheel drive.

The I-Stop on the other hand is annoying. True, it can be switched off but not permanently. You have to hit the I-Stop button each time you start up. Mazda claim that I-Stop increases fuel economy, a claim that I hotly dispute. I notice little difference in fuel economy with the I-Stop on or off. The CX-5 computer gives a fuel economy reading so keeping tabs on fuel usage is not difficult. For the record in city driving my car returns 10.5km using I Stop and 10.6 without it. I fail to see that as any significant saving. Like most manufacturers Mazda's fuel economy claims are debatable anyway. Mazda claim 7.4 L/100km on a combined cycle. That presumably includes some city driving. I note that in Australia and in Europe the extravagant economy claims by some car manufacturers are being questioned.

I like the CX-5 to drive but the I am not convinced about I-Stop and like you I question whether stopping and starting the engine at every set of traffic lights is good for the car. It is possible to drive with the I-Stop on and keep the engine running when coming to a standstill. The driver achieves this by manipulating the braking. When I bought the car the salesperson went through this process in detail which suggests that he thought I should know how to do it.

One really concerning off shoot of I-Stop is that you cannot 'cover the brake' when you slow then accelerate. As an example if you approach a T junction, slow down and apply the brake then apply the accelerator while your foot is resting on the brake the car does not respond immediately. There is a distinct 'flat spot' in acceleration. Just after taking delivery of the car I was almost T boned because of this, I put my foot down and almost nothing happened. I know Mazda will say that good divers should drive with the right foot using it either on the accelerator or the brake but after fifty years old habits die hard and I am not used to driving that way. I have always liked to cover the brake with the left foot in case I have to stop suddenly. Once you get used to driving the car all is fine but when you first drive a Mazda with I -Stop this can be a trap.

The thing about I -Stop is if you can switch it off every time you start up and if you can avoid using it by manipulating your use of the brakes why not have the facility to switch it off permanently if you wish ?

Do not get me wrong the CX-5 is a good car, easy to drive, well appointed and reliable but that I - Stop is a nuisance and the means to disable it permanently would be appreciated.

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
I assume you are talking about the I-Stop technology that Mazda and some other manufacturers have fitted to their vehicles.

I have had a Mazda CX-5 for a year and it has I-Stop. There is no choice you buy a Mazda and that is what you get.

The car is fine, it is reliable, runs well and rides well for an all wheel drive.

The I-Stop on the other hand is annoying. True, it can be switched off but not permanently. You have to hit the I-Stop button each time you start up. Mazda claim that I-Stop increases fuel economy, a claim that I hotly dispute. I notice little difference in fuel economy with the I-Stop on or off. The CX-5 computer gives a fuel economy reading so keeping tabs on fuel usage is not difficult. For the record in city driving my car returns 10.5km using I Stop and 10.6 without it. I fail to see that as any significant saving. Like most manufacturers Mazda's fuel economy claims are debatable anyway. Mazda claim 7.4 L/100km on a combined cycle. That presumably includes some city driving. I note that in Australia and in Europe the extravagant economy claims by some car manufacturers are being questioned.

I like the CX-5 to drive but the I am not convinced about I-Stop and like you I question whether stopping and starting the engine at every set of traffic lights is good for the car. It is possible to drive with the I-Stop on and keep the engine running when coming to a standstill. The driver achieves this by manipulating the braking. When I bought the car the salesperson went through this process in detail which suggests that he thought I should know how to do it.

One really concerning off shoot of I-Stop is that you cannot 'cover the brake' when you slow then accelerate. As an example if you approach a T junction, slow down and apply the brake then apply the accelerator while your foot is resting on the brake the car does not respond immediately. There is a distinct 'flat spot' in acceleration. Just after taking delivery of the car I was almost T boned because of this, I put my foot down and almost nothing happened. I know Mazda will say that good divers should drive with the right foot using it either on the accelerator or the brake but after fifty years old habits die hard and I am not used to driving that way. I have always liked to cover the brake with the left foot in case I have to stop suddenly. Once you get used to driving the car all is fine but when you first drive a Mazda with I -Stop this can be a trap.

The thing about I -Stop is if you can switch it off every time you start up and if you can avoid using it by manipulating your use of the brakes why not have the facility to switch it off permanently if you wish ?

Do not get me wrong the CX-5 is a good car, easy to drive, well appointed and reliable but that I - Stop is a nuisance and the means to disable it permanently would be appreciated.

Not too sure about the Mazda - I have a Volkswagen. However this worked for me - there are different 'pressures' you can put onto the brake. If it's at half pressure the engine won't stop but your car will, whereas if you press fully down the engine will stop. I am now used to it and only 'stop' the car completely in peak hour traffic when there is barely any movement.

St 07

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jan 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's actually annoying to hear these things start up with every small forward movement whilst grid-locked in Melbourne CBD.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Not too sure about the Mazda - I have a Volkswagen. However this worked for me - there are different 'pressures' you can put onto the brake. If it's at half pressure the engine won't stop but your car will, whereas if you press fully down the engine will stop. I am now used to it and only 'stop' the car completely in peak hour traffic when there is barely any movement.

Yes, that is what I was referring to when the salesman showed me how to stop without the engine cutting out. If the engine does stop you only have to touch the brake to restart but it is a pain. It would be nice to be able to switch I-Stop off after you have started a journey but as far as I know you can't.

I like to drive the car not have it drive for me.

As far as I know Mazda and VW are the only manufacturers who use this technology. Hopefully it will stay with them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back