Remove this Banner Ad

Johnson Mackenzie McPharlin
S Hill Taylor D Swallow
Jetta Priddis Wells
LeCras Franklin Bennell
Walters Kennedy Ballantyne

Sandilands Fyfe O'Meara

A Swallow B Hill Darling Naitanui

Outside chance of beating Vic, with best backs, best forward in AFL and second best midfielder in the AFL in team

0f4a3ddf9bd24eeba10519167c2a81f7824b45fb60db517e.jpg

S Hill Taylor D Swallow
Jetta Priddis Wells
LeCras Franklin Bennell

Sandilands Fyfe O'Meara

Outside chance of beating Vic, with best backs, best forward in AFL and second best midfielder in the AFL in team
You might think that WA have the best forward line because the best small forwards in the league are from WA.
But when you consider that the starting midfield of Victoria would be Ablett, Selwood and Pendlebury, practically every other Victorian gun midfielder would play forward or back. Rockliff and Dangerfield would be the two HFF's for example and that's head and shoulders above LeCras and Bennell for WA.

Clubs don't want it because their players risk injury in a way that does nothign for them.
Players want a shorter season, not a longer one (witness how many stars offer to play international rules).
AFL might like the payday, but has a hard enough scheduling the competition already.

Which leaves the fans, and as we know, their opinions aren't really imprortant.

Clubs don't want it because their players risk injury in a way that does nothign for them.
Players want a shorter season, not a longer one (witness how many stars offer to play international rules).
AFL might like the payday, but has a hard enough scheduling the competition already.

Which leaves the fans, and as we know, their opinions aren't really imprortant.

A survey last year showed that most players do want it. Cameron Mooney said a few weeks ago on AFL 360 as well that he was not that interested in playing for the All Stars in 2008 but if he was allowed to play for NSW he would have played his heart out for that state. The players do want proper State or Origin and a recent survey shows that majority of fans want it as well.

S Hill Taylor D Swallow
Jetta Priddis Wells
LeCras Franklin Bennell

Sandilands Fyfe O'Meara

A few years time with a midfield of O'Meara, Fyfe, Bennell, Martin and Coniglio...
With the Hill brothers on the wings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might think that WA have the best forward line because the best small forwards in the league are from WA.
But when you consider that the starting midfield of Victoria would be Ablett, Selwood and Pendlebury, practically every other Victorian gun midfielder would play forward or back. Rockliff and Dangerfield would be the two HFF's for example and that's head and shoulders above LeCras and Bennell for WA.

Rockliff is a better player than LeCras.

LeCras is a much better forward than Rockliff

A survey last year showed that most players do want it. Cameron Mooney said a few weeks ago on AFL 360 as well that he was not that interested in playing for the All Stars in 2008 but if he was allowed to play for NSW he would have played his heart out for that state. The players do want proper State or Origin and a recent survey shows that majority of fans want it as well.

Easy to say, but when the time comes, and their clubs are pressuring them to rest instead, watch the 'injuries' come out.

edited to add..

Majority of players...OK, but was it a majority of those likely to be picked? Easy enough for Jake king to say he'd love to play for Victoria (for example).

Will grow another leg only when the game has conferences & some markets wont get to see the best footballers strut their stuff - be like never seeing a Stephen Michael.

So when the AFL does something it says it wont do, there might be sufficient interest to proceed.

Excuse me while I don't hold my breath.

I'd love to see it back, but don't think it'll happen for 3 reasons:

1) format
As much as most of us would happily accept SA vs Big V, I suspect Western Australians and others would be upset. It would also exclude a few big name players who deserve to play on this stage.

2) timing
When would you play it? The AFLPA is already calling for a shorter season and longer breaks.

3) opposition from clubs and their sponsors
Too much money in club football now.

So when the AFL does something it says it wont do, there might be sufficient interest to proceed.

Excuse me while I don't hold my breath.

I'm against conferences just as I 'd like to see the number of teams reduced, but others ... & I have little confidence the AFL will not recut its jib when the wind changes &, thats &, the Essendon nonsense may be just the catalyst for change.

I just said best forward as in franko
Yeah Vic mid depth hammers all

1) format
As much as most of us would happily accept SA vs Big V, I suspect Western Australians and others would be upset. It would also exclude a few big name players who deserve to play on this stage.

This is an underrated aspect of it.

SA & WA both want to play Vic, and don't really care the rest of the time.

Vic doesn't care so much because we're on a hiding to nothing..Win and it's the expected result, lose (or even come close) and we'll never hear the end of it. For the WA & SA supporters...Imagine having NSW, QLD & Tas clamoring to have a game with you. Sure, you'd be curious at the team selected, and wouldn't mind watching to see some of the skills, but do you really, passionately, *care* about the game?

This is an underrated aspect of it.

SA & WA both want to play Vic, and don't really care the rest of the time.

Vic doesn't care so much because we're on a hiding to nothing..Win and it's the expected result, lose (or even come close) and we'll never hear the end of it. For the WA & SA supporters...Imagine having NSW, QLD & Tas clamoring to have a game with you. Sure, you'd be curious at the team selected, and wouldn't mind watching to see some of the skills, but do you really, passionately, *care* about the game?

The game with no stage for Buddy for example, thats excitement.

State Of Origin did, & would, display the best of the best - if that doesnt interest you so be it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back