State of Origin - Bring it back?

Remove this Banner Ad

You might think that WA have the best forward line because the best small forwards in the league are from WA.
But when you consider that the starting midfield of Victoria would be Ablett, Selwood and Pendlebury, practically every other Victorian gun midfielder would play forward or back. Rockliff and Dangerfield would be the two HFF's for example and that's head and shoulders above LeCras and Bennell for WA.
Doesn't work like that its not like the All Australian Team where the selectors try and squeeze as many mids in as possible because its only on paper. SOO teams would have to be balanced as they would actually play, Rockliff and Danger are gun mids but doesn't mean they would be a better forward than LeCras when was the last time any one of them kicked 12 goals in a game?

Doesn't work like that its not like the All Australian Team where the selectors try and squeeze as many mids in as possible because its only on paper. SOO teams would have to be balanced as they would actually play, Rockliff and Danger are gun mids but doesn't mean they would be a better forward than LeCras when was the last time any one of them kicked 12 goals in a game?

I completely agree there. In the real world most All Australian teams are very unbalanced.

It does work like that though.
They're good players, and short of being six foot six tall, the place that any player can have most impact on a game is through the midfield.
But if they played permanent forward, they'd be better than players who are the best permanent forwards. I'm sure that Dangerfield would have the ability in his career to kick 12 goals in a game, if he played inside the forward 50 for his entire career.
The All-Australian team is different. The best HFF should be picked on the HFF, because it's a reflection on their relative positions that they've played throughout the year. For example Jarryd Roughead should not be picked in this years AA team on the basis that he can be a second ruck as well, because he hasn't rucked at all this year, so therefore you shouldn't pick the 2nd ruck.
Defenders may be a bit different because midfielders may not have the experience to be a good marker in defence. But at the very least they could play a running HBF role.
And I'm obviously not saying that stuffing mids into the forward line would work for all players. Take Victoria's two best clearance players - Kennedy and Liberatore. Neither have the same forward ability of, say, Dangerfield or Rockliff. So you would pick Kennedy to start on the bench, or neither of them, or even somebody like Boak to be the inside midfielder. They'd start on the bench, and then rotate mainly through the midfield, and not up forward. But players like Ablett, Rockliff, Dangerfield have shown in AFL games that they would be very, very good forwards as well as midfielders - they just play midfield because midfield is the more important position and where the best or better player on your team can impact on games. So that goes back to my original point. Midfielders who have shown forward ability, but play midfield, would make the flanks and the pockets for the Victorian team and make Victoria have better, say, flankers than WA, even though at first glance the WA flankers look better because it's their more natural position.

Yeah nah. Mark LeCras would be a better forward than Dangerfield or Rockliff or Watson
Watson, yes, because he's a natural midfielder and not really a natural forward, and has been a midfielder for all of his career.
Dangerfield and Rockliff, no, because they've shown that they've got good goal-sense and can play forward. Rockliff played forward in his junior career (kicked 4 in the TAC Cup Grand Final, and played a lot at half-forward before transitioning to becoming a midfielder. Meanwhile, Dangerfield is noted for his goalkicking ability from midfield and that would transition to a permanent forward role.
I'm not saying every gun midfielder would be better than, to use your example, Mark LeCras. Players like Pendlebury and Selwood would not become good forwards because they are by and large natural midfielders with minimal playing time forward in their career, and no amount of raw footballing ability would overcome being a natural forward like LeCras. But by having players like Ablett, Rockliff and Dangerfield rotate through forward and midfield, despite them playing midfield for their AFL team, they would be better forwards than players like LeCras, hence Victoria having a better forward line than WA.

It does work like that though.
They're good players, and short of being six foot six tall, the place that any player can have most impact on a game is through the midfield.
But if they played permanent forward, they'd be better than players who are the best permanent forwards. I'm sure that Dangerfield would have the ability in his career to kick 12 goals in a game, if he played inside the forward 50 for his entire career.
The All-Australian team is different. The best HFF should be picked on the HFF, because it's a reflection on their relative positions that they've played throughout the year. For example Jarryd Roughead should not be picked in this years AA team on the basis that he can be a second ruck as well, because he hasn't rucked at all this year, so therefore you shouldn't pick the 2nd ruck.
Defenders may be a bit different because midfielders may not have the experience to be a good marker in defence. But at the very least they could play a running HBF role.
And I'm obviously not saying that stuffing mids into the forward line would work for all players. Take Victoria's two best clearance players - Kennedy and Liberatore. Neither have the same forward ability of, say, Dangerfield or Rockliff. So you would pick Kennedy to start on the bench, or neither of them, or even somebody like Boak to be the inside midfielder. They'd start on the bench, and then rotate mainly through the midfield, and not up forward. But players like Ablett, Rockliff, Dangerfield have shown in AFL games that they would be very, very good forwards as well as midfielders - they just play midfield because midfield is the more important position and where the best or better player on your team can impact on games. So that goes back to my original point. Midfielders who have shown forward ability, but play midfield, would make the flanks and the pockets for the Victorian team and make Victoria have better, say, flankers than WA, even though at first glance the WA flankers look better because it's their more natural position.
I get what your saying but still disagree its like me saying LeCras and Pav are gun forwards who can also run through the midfield and are very good at both, so to squeeze Darling into the team LeCras and Pav will start as Mids.
Yes Danger and Rocky can go forward when they are resting or tagged and kick a couple of goals, and if they made the switch from mid to full time forward over a season or two they could be very good but to play mid all the time and then switch to forward in one week for one game and be expected to be better than all the other top forwards no way.
p.s I know Pav is from S.A just using for eg.

No no no no

Every year we keep hear fans want state of origin

Whom are these so called fans .....let me guess Victorians

With all due respect the big V attitude of sticking your chest and beating it is dead ....d.e.a.d .....

The allies concept was stupid and ridiculous

Let it be....we have a great product now and we simply don't need to tinker with it

clubs don't want their players injured...there is no way buddy would play for wa

No way in hell would swans want that .......they are paying him 40,000 a game to play .....you think they want to risk that ?

Zulfiquar_Bhatti.png

Bring back state of origin so we can remind these interstate peasants who invented the game and who is better at it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

State Of Origin can only work if it's Victoria V SA or WA, now where does that leave our players from NSW, QLD, Tassie and the NT? Do people realise that Lenny Hayes would not have been eligible to play for Victoria? "All Stars" teams are a waste of time because there is no tradition and parochialism involved. The "Sandgropers" and "Croweaters" hate us and they would go rampant if they beat the Vics. You have to have some rivalry and that only occurs within the 18 team National Competition nowadays. State Of Origin is a relic of the past. It's relevant in the NRL because you have the dominant two states in NSW and QLD and they play 3 games!!! The AFL have enough trouble with fixturing without this headache entering into it.

As always....hell no!

Why would I want swans players getting injured playing for other teams?

Could not give a s**t about the "spectacle" or how nostalgic it makes people feel.

The only thing that matters is a swans flag, I'd happily trade no swans player ever being a part of some mickey mouse carnival and being hated for blocking it in exchange for a single swans flag.

I just don't give a s**t about anything in this league bar the swans. If I was the sort to dick measure over state rivalries I'd be following nrl or rugby union.

All star game on the weekend between Preliminary finals and grand final similar to the NFL. Players picked from all teams bar the 2 playing in the GF. Easy

And have both coaching panels pick teams in the school yard format, Would be fantastic to watch live.

As always....hell no!

Why would I want swans players getting injured playing for other teams?

Could not give a s**t about the "spectacle" or how nostalgic it makes people feel.

The only thing that matters is a swans flag, I'd happily trade no swans player ever being a part of some mickey mouse carnival and being hated for blocking it in exchange for a single swans flag.

I just don't give a s**t about anything in this league bar the swans. If I was the sort to dick measure over state rivalries I'd be following nrl or rugby union.
I agree, my only interest is my team also. State Of Origin was okay back in the 80's pre- national competition, but it just won't work these days. Then you have the age old question of when to play it, who to play it between and who actually qualifies to play? I'm sure you wouldn't be all that thrilled seeing 'Buddy' run around in Perth in a state game mid season with 8 years to go on his contract? State Of Origin is a dead duck, and what the AFL must concentrate on doing is getting the fixturing and scheduling right to improve attendances and make it more convenient for the football going public.

I still probably wouldn't bother but I think the only way it could even potentially work is playing a game between Victoria and WA or SA every 5 years or something. That way it would have a novelty factor for fans, and also players as they would only usually have a couple of chance to participate in a rep game during their career. Fans and players would get bored and irritated with it interfering with their club's regular season very quickly playing it every year.. Also suggestions that states like NSW or Tas should have a game is simply laughable, they would get smashed and hardly anyone would even care about them.

It's pretty much dead as a concept as we don't need it anymore with such an incredibly strong regular Premiership competition.

Instead of State of Origin, why not an All Star game like in the NBA where you have the East Vs West?

East: VIC, NSW, QLD, TAS
West: SA, WA, NT

The game could be played at the end of the year so clubs won't have to worry about injuries. Maybe shorten the season by one week to accommodate this game which could be played the week after the grand final.

Instead of State of Origin, why not an All Star game like in the NBA where you have the East Vs West?

East: VIC, NSW, QLD, TAS
West: SA, WA, NT

The game could be played at the end of the year so clubs won't have to worry about injuries. Maybe shorten the season by one week to accommodate this game which could be played the week after the grand final.
I just don't think the all star concept works in AFL, just like the NFL, watch the pro bowl and you will realise how shockingly a representative game in a team oriented sport, with very little focus on individuals.

Considering all the best AFL players already play here in the one league because going overseas for money or exposure doesn't exist here means we already get to see the best players all play together. Admittedly not in the one match but would playing for a state really mean as much these days.

Just personal opinion but I find supporting a state doesn't come naturally, almost like I'm trying too hard. As for allied teams that's another story. You could really imagine someone from WA filled with passion supporting their beloved "Dream Team".

But if somehow they manged to do it properly. That would be achievement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back