Opinion State of Origin footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I couldn't care less about state of origin anymore. It had merit when the game was the Victorian Football League and the WAFL and SANFL were effectively the poor cousins and wanted to prove something. Now we have the SA fans supporting Port and Crows each week and the Westerners supporting Freo and West Coast each week.

Goodes was born in Wallaroo..
Forgot Tex was born in Broken Hill though.
Where players were born doesn't come into it though (going on SoO rules from when it was last played), it's where they spent the majority of their time between the ages of 10-17. Goodes represented Victoria in the game against the Dream Team a few years back.

Michael Voss and Jason Akermanis were both born in Victoria, Nick Riewoldt in Tasmania, yet all were officially classed as Queensland players.

Where players were born doesn't come into it though (going on SoO rules from when it was last played), it's where they spent the majority of their time between the ages of 10-17. Goodes represented Victoria in the game against the Dream Team a few years back.

Michael Voss and Jason Akermanis were both born in Victoria, Nick Riewoldt in Tasmania, yet all were officially classed as Queensland players.
Oh wasn't aware of that! Interesting, thought it might've been where they were born.

I'll be pretty amazed if we ever see State of Origin games played again, so perhaps in some ways it hardly matters!

It may not happens for decades but it will 100% happen at some point.

The game is growing in NSW and QLD and eventually they will be able to compete with VIC/WA and even beat SA, which would lead to a fantastic SoO comp

The game is growing in NSW and QLD and eventually they will be able to compete with VIC/WA and even beat SA, which would lead to a fantastic SoO comp
It's interesting reading this thread, in particular the earlier posts where some were rubbishing NSW because the likes of Duryea, Tutt, Rowe, Witts etc. would get a game, but a NSW State of Origin side (it would be combined with ACT as has happened in the past) would have the likes of Davis, Suckling, McVeigh, Hawkins, Breust, T. Walker, L. Hayes and K. Jack available. It would be a pretty reasonable side. Much better than that of Tasmania, probably better than a Queensland team. It wouldn't get close to the "big 3" but it would not be hopeless. FWIW here's my idea of a NSW/ACT team:-

B: RAMPE, DAVIS, SUCKLING
HB: GILBERT, ROBERTS-THOMSON, McVEIGH
C: BIRD, CROSS, SMITH I.
HF: McGLYNN, HAWKINS, BREUST
F: SCHNEIDER, WALKER T., STAKER
R: McINTOSH H., HAYES L., JACK K.
INT: TERLICH, ROWE, LANGFORD, ADDISON

Pyke would presumably be available and in the team. If our game was like basketball or soccer these sort of games could easily be fitted into the calendar, I don't expect to see it anytime soon, if ever. Perhaps a one-off game sometime might happen.

this is true however it should be the case. Spoke with Goodes and he still counts himself as a South Aussie but obviously he had to play for the Vics.
If they always had it kept this way then Carey would have stayed playing for the Croweaters but obviously the Big V got scared so they changed the rules :D

this is true however it should be the case. Spoke with Goodes and he still counts himself as a South Aussie but obviously he had to play for the Vics.
If they always had it kept this way then Carey would have stayed playing for the Croweaters but obviously the Big V got scared so they changed the rules :D
I really think the SoO rules they eventually settled on (10-17 residence rule) made the most sense, as it covers where a players football development takes place, as opposed to merely where he was born.

I was never able to understand how Carey was able to play for SA as NSW clearly had a greater claim on him (even though he had spent some time here), indeed he had already played for them at SoO level.

I always found it very amusing that SA and WA fans would claim the Vics were cheating in playing the likes of Dunstall and Daniher who clearly weren't from there. Yet WA played Maurice Rioli (NT), Don Pyke (ACT) and Leon Baker, Chris Waterson and Geoff Miles (Vic) at least. SA had so many non-locals over the years with e.g. Peter Meuret (NSW), Tim Evans (Tas.), and from Victoria Russell Johnston, David Bolton, Peter Carey, Craig Williams, Max Parker, Grenville Dietrich, Rudi Mandemaker and others. The selection rules back in those days were crazy.

I was never able to understand how Carey was able to play for SA as NSW clearly had a greater claim on him (even though he had spent some time here), indeed he had already played for them at SoO level.

played juniors at Mallala, 1st taste of Aussie Rules and played juniors for North Adelaide. Played a lot more footy in SA then NSW :)

I agree but I wouldnt be 100% certain. I think state loyalties still exist and will continue to be around for years to come. As long as people think of themselves as Victorians or South Australians, then the spark will be there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back