Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a question:

What is the highest disposal efficiency and high disposals combo?

For example, on Friday night against NM, J.Watson tallied 38 disposals at 89.5 DE%. I think I found K.Cornes notched up 35 at 91% last season.

I suppose the question ought to be refined:

Who has the best DE% over 35 possessions?
Who has the best DE% over 30 possession?
Who has the best DE% over 25 possessions?

Surely, as the disposal count goes down, the efficiency may rise, as it is obviously somewhat 'easier' to be more accurate on less occasions.

Cheers:thumbsu:

Max Rooke and Cameron Ling had 27 wins in a row , Bartel 26, J.Selwood 25, Bob Pratt's 25 in 1935/36 the first non-Geelong 2007/08. 6 others share Brereton's 24.

15 or more without loss
28 Dinny Kelleher Lake Oval
16 Norm Oliver Victoria Park
16 Jim Reid Lake Oval
15 Taylor Hunt Kardinia Park
15 Charlie Parsons Princes Park

Didn't Jimmy Bartel have a streak of over 20 games without a loss at Kardinia Park/Simonds Stadium? I know he missed the 2007 game vs Port Adelaide when we lost as he was in hospital having his appendix removed.

Didn't Jimmy Bartel have a streak of over 20 games without a loss at Kardinia Park/Simonds Stadium? I know he missed the 2007 game vs Port Adelaide when we lost as he was in hospital having his appendix removed.

I've got Bartel on 26.

Also Russell Renfrey and Ben Johnson on 26 without a loss, and Russell Middlemiss, Bruce Morrison, Doug Palmer, Peter Pianto, Bob Davis, Norm MacLeod on 25 without a loss.

A random one but, given Geelong's record against Norf is quite good and with Essendon beating Norf on Friday night, what's the average score for and against in games where Chappy's played against the Kangaroos?
Without looking, I reckon Geelong has played in more losses against North than any other team since 2007.

North had one of the smallest losses since 2003 when losing the possession count by over 150, how many other teams have lost by under 50pts when having a negative possession differential of over 150?
any teams won?

I have 35 instances of a 150 disposal diff, the closest loss was 28 Coll. v Stk.
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/2009/041520090906.html
Nth v Ess and two others under 50.
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/2009/080920090829.html
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/2005/101920050416.html

Brisbane 28.13 181 defeated Fremantle 9.13 67; disposals 330-324

What an extraordinary game! Brisbane led by 113 at half-time but could only extend their margin by one more point. I need to get vision of that game to see what happened. Did Damien Drum tell his Dockers that after half-time they should just share the ball around to even up the numbers?

Other stats there don't give any clue: Inside-50s were 65-54 (lopsided but not dominant). Rebound-50s were 38-33 (huh? 54 entries for 9 goals + 38 rebounds + 4 quarter ended + 3 ball vaporised and Lions were awarded a goal). Free kicks were actually 20-11 in Freo's favour!

If Richmond go in unchanged this week then every player in their 22 will have played 20 or more games.

I imagine this happens reasonably regularly in finals with settled, hardened sides but in H&A games I imagine it would be rarer with kids getting runs, best 22 types resting niggles etc that they would get up from for a final. Are they are any recent examples of H&A games with a full side >=20 games?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Richmond go in unchanged this week then every player in their 22 will have played 20 or more games.

I imagine this happens reasonably regularly in finals with settled, hardened sides but in H&A games I imagine it would be rarer with kids getting runs, best 22 types resting niggles etc that they would get up from for a final. Are they are any recent examples of H&A games with a full side >=20 games?
It happened eight times last season, Sydney an early season occurrence in Round 2. The "highest lowest" ever is here:
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/2010/091520100903.html#p1
Every Cat having played at least 59 games.

I've got 320 instances of every player having played 20+ games, as follows:

35 St.Kilda
34 Carlton
33 Sydney
30 Hawthorn
22 North Melbourne
19 Brisbane
18 Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong
17 Adelaide, Western Bulldogs
15 Fremantle, Port Adelaide, West Coast
12 Richmond
2 Melbourne
0 Gold Coast, GWS, Fitzroy, University

92% of these occurred since 1970, and 75% since 1991. 44% were in finals.

There are 23 cases of opposing sides all having played 20+. None occurred earlier in the season than Round 20.

Richmond would be a relatively young side at 25.17 and would rank 74th youngest. The average age of these teams is 25.84.

Last edited:
Anyone know when the last time Port Adelaide lost at Adelaide Oval was? Obviously this is a bit of a trick question (would be the Port Adelaide Magpies in the SANFL, or potentially the Foxtel Cup). I'm having extreme difficulty finding parseable SANFL statistics.

EDIT: Port Adelaide won the only game it played at Adelaide Oval in the 2011 Foxtel Cup, didn't participate in the 2013 Foxtel Cup, and Adelaide Oval wasn't available in 2012, so it's not that.

Anyone know when the last time Port Adelaide lost at Adelaide Oval was? Obviously this is a bit of a trick question (would be the Port Adelaide Magpies in the SANFL, or potentially the Foxtel Cup). I'm having extreme difficulty finding parseable SANFL statistics.

EDIT: Port Adelaide won the only game it played at Adelaide Oval in the 2011 Foxtel Cup, didn't participate in the 2013 Foxtel Cup, and Adelaide Oval wasn't available in 2012, so it's not that.

Did Adelaide Oval stop being used as a footy ground at any time? Or have clubs continued to play there over the years?

EDIT: 2008 Elimination Final could be your answer.

PORT: 3.3 - 7.5 - 11.7 - 15.8 (98)
NOR: 4.2 - 9.4 - 15.8 - 18.11 (119)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back