Prediction STAYING or GOING the Matt Suckling debate

SUCKLING - Staying or Going?

• I love that left peg! He will stay!

Votes: 47 31.8%
  • Can lairise for cash somewhere else! He will go!

Votes: 101 68.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope he goes, we'd probably get overs for him. I think he'd be the type of player opposition clubs rate higher than his actual value to the side.

He was floated last year, with no takers, his form is less than good, which all things considered means that his value is worse.
Don't you think opposition sides now know how limited he is?
I reckon he is worth less than we are currently paying him.

Don't you think opposition sides now know how limited he is?

Yes but they might think they can fix him or something. He would be a tempting purchase for many clubs particularly those looking for a long kick out of defence or someone who is in a good age window. GWS/St.Kilda/Brisbane, that type of club.

....tell me, outside of his wonderful 1 in 5 kicks what else does he bring to the table? pressure? efficient disposal? big tank?....Mmmmmm not much else in my view
Its easy to look at a stat like disposal efficiency and say he is no better than others however when you consider the difficulty of the kicks he attempts then you can contextualized his value a bit better. He takes risks with his kicking and it comes off a lot. 1 in 5 is not an accurate reflection of his kicking at all. He is also our second highest running bounce player with only Hill ahead of him (last year he was also second with only Smith ahead). He has speed and uses that to cover his man defensively and to run the ball out of defence. We need a guy like that back there as most of our defenders don't have the pace to break the lines coming out of defence nor stick with/catch runners heading back to goal. He might not be there smashing packs or winning a ton of contested ball but its not like his man is running free. His speed makes his opponent an undesirable option for a player with the ball. So to say he doesn't apply defensive pressure based on contested possessions and big hard hitting tackles, he does cover his man. And in relation to tackles he makes just as many as Stratton and birchall, plus more than Hill and Gibson. Yes, in an ideal world he would also be a contested winning machine and leap tall buildings in a single bound but to say he offers our side very little is abjectly unfair on his ability and performance.

Its easy to look at a stat like disposal efficiency and say he is no better than others however when you consider the difficulty of the kicks he attempts then you can contextualized his value a bit better. He takes risks with his kicking and it comes off a lot. 1 in 5 is not an accurate reflection of his kicking at all. He is also our second highest running bounce player with only Hill ahead of him (last year he was also second with only Smith ahead). He has speed and uses that to cover his man defensively and to run the ball out of defence. We need a guy like that back there as most of our defenders don't have the pace to break the lines coming out of defence nor stick with/catch runners heading back to goal. He might not be there smashing packs or winning a ton of contested ball but its not like his man is running free. His speed makes his opponent an undesirable option for a player with the ball. So to say he doesn't apply defensive pressure based on contested possessions and big hard hitting tackles, he does cover his man. And in relation to tackles he makes just as many as Stratton and birchall, plus more than Hill and Gibson. Yes, in an ideal world he would also be a contested winning machine and leap tall buildings in a single bound but to say he offers our side very little is abjectly unfair on his ability and performance.

Can't argue with any of that Bris....Unfortunately, his howlers stand out like the proverbial....Much like another bloke on our list.

When he is good he is very good....But when he is bad, he is very bad indeed!

Can't argue with any of that Bris....Unfortunately, his howlers stand out like the proverbial....Much like another bloke on our list.

When he is good he is very good....But when he is bad, he is very bad indeed!
Guerra was very similar in that regard. In his best years he would make a howler only every other game but most of the time he would turn one over for a goal probably 3 in every 4 games. Not saying Suckling is perfect but its easy to attack him for the odd shocker and not appreciate what he does very well. If he he was more capable in the physical department etc. then he would be a perennial AA. Can't all be perfect players like Burgoyne ;)

Guerra was very similar in that regard. In his best years he would make a howler only every other game but most of the time he would turn one over for a goal probably 3 in every 4 games. Not saying Suckling is perfect but its easy to attack him for the odd shocker and not appreciate what he does very well. If he he was more capable in the physical department etc. then he would be a perennial AA. Can't all be perfect players like Burgoyne ;)

What utter nonsense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id give 3 sucklings for 1 guerra.

Lithers v Suckers....

Pace = even
Running bounces and carry = even
Aggro & tackling = lithers
Contested stuff/ in and under = lithers
Kicking = suckers
Marking = lithers
Height = lithers
Man on man and accountability = lithers
Defence = lithers
Age = lithers
Black boots = lithers
Cute stuff = suckers

All up = lithers, and at half the price

I too see a deal with gws, but he's a FA, so some goodwill stuff to be exchanged hopefully, netting us a shiel somehow

I like Suckers, but it just seems he needs to demonstrate his kicking ability everytime he gets the ball in his hands. He seemed to have several howlers on Saturday but I still remember his GF well and aren't prepared to burn him yet.

How does this work as a free agent? I still don't understand the rules n

It doesn't....A free agent is free to go to which-ever club of his choosing....Alls we get in return is whatever compo the AFL - In it's wisdom:rolleyes:- deems fit.

Any agreement prior to that would be seen as collusion/manipulation/tampering.

Not after Saturday's effort - my eyes still hurt from Litherland's boots!
It comes and goes in cycles. A fashion trend is usually recycled and has a comeback after 20-30 years and when it does lasts around 7 years. Lithers is ahead of his time...watch the rest follow him soon. No BLACK, yellow, lime or colours of the rainbow booties for The POMMIE

Edited for bumpswith a grin

Last edited:
Id give 3 sucklings for 1 guerra.

Lithers v Suckers....

Pace = even
Running bounces and carry = even
Aggro & tackling = lithers
Contested stuff/ in and under = lithers
Kicking = suckers
Marking = lithers
Height = lithers
Man on man and accountability = lithers
Defence = lithers
Age = lithers
Black boots = lithers
Cute stuff = suckers

All up = lithers, and at half the price

I too see a deal with gws, but he's a FA, so some goodwill stuff to be exchanged hopefully, netting us a shiel somehow

Possibly compo pick for suckling + our first round pick + part paying for sucklings first year of salary for Shiel...something like that..I'm making it up as I go..but possibly? Who knows...a really good inside mid is what we'd be trying to get out of it all...GWS have a stockpile of these...

It comes and goes in cycles. A fashion trend is usually recycled and has a comeback after 20-30 years and when it does lasts around 7 years. Lithers is ahead of his time...watch the rest follow him soon. No orange, yellow, lime or colours of the rainbow booties for The Kraut

Did you see the match? Gus had orange boots, and why are you calling him The Kraut?

Last time i looked he had black boots, or is that last year"s news?

Isn't he of Germanic heritage?

Yep, the black boots were last year, soooo 2014 :rolleyes: ;) :p

Don't know what his heritage is but the name Litherland is of English origin if you were perchance basing your assumptions on that.

Yep, the black boots were last year, soooo 2014 :rolleyes: ;)

Don't know what his heritage is but the name Litherland is of English origin if you were perchance basing your assumptions on that.
Fmd bumps uve shown me up big time for my horrendous assumptions, I was at the game too! Back in my box i go...

Back