Prediction STAYING or GOING the Matt Suckling debate

SUCKLING - Staying or Going?

• I love that left peg! He will stay!

Votes: 47 31.8%
  • Can lairise for cash somewhere else! He will go!

Votes: 101 68.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I love my current job, but if someone came and offered me an extra $50k a year I'd consider it, if not take it on the spot.

I don't understand this thought process....

I understand family ect but he would be on a decent wicket compared to the average Joe Blow.

As I've said previously... I would crawl on broken glass to play 5min for Hawthorn

My grannies used to live in Merbein. Me, I'm originally from Mildy. Not likely to go back either! ;)
One of the more interesting places that I have visited in Oz. (Mildura)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

This article looks positive (or negative depending on how you look at things :p)

Suckling admits he's 'flustered' by free agency
Travis King July 16, 2015 3:52 PM

Suckling will become an unrestricted free agent when his deal expires later this year and he could move to a rival club without the Hawks having the chance to match an offer.

But the New South Welshman told AFL.com.au he wants to stay at Waverley and said he was not really aware of reported interest from the Brisbane Lions.

"You obviously hear the same stuff that everyone hears and I read the paper as well and I see the same stuff ... my manager's looking after all that," Suckling said.

"When the time's right and I feel in a good space, I'll address it."

The former rookie, who turns 27 later this month, was one of the feel-good stories of last year's premiership triumph after fighting back from a knee reconstruction that wiped out his 2013 season.

But speculation about his playing future rattled Suckling at the start of this season and he was dropped for the round nine clash against Gold Coast before earning a last-minute reprieve.

"It was obviously something new to me this year, the whole free agency stuff, and I think at the start of the year it probably was affecting me," Suckling said.

"I was a bit flustered, so I found it easier just to put it on the backburner and just concentrate on this year."

Suckling last inked a two-year contract extension in 2013 and has not put a deadline on negotiations for a new deal.

"I haven't really thought about that too much," Suckling said.

"If I start playing well and things turn around we can address it then, but if not we'll just wait."

Suckling has played every game this season – twice starting in the green sub's vest - taking his career tally to 91 matches since he was recruited from the Wagga Tigers in 2007.

The quietly-spoken utility is among the most popular players at Hawthorn, with close friends Isaac Smith and Luke Breust partly driven to win last year's flag so they could share it with Suckling.

"I've got so many good mates here and they've been great to me," Suckling said.

"It's such a powerful club and you're well looked after, so I'd love to stay here."

Four Hawks – Lance Franklin (Swans), Clinton Young (Collingwood), Xavier Ellis (West Coast) and Tom Murphy (Gold Coast) - have flown the nest since free agency's inception in 2012.

The reigning premiers have also benefited, attracting prized key defender James Frawley from Melbourne last year and midfielder Jonathan Simpkin (Geelong) in 2012.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-16/suckling-admits-he-has-been-distracted-by-free-agency-talk

He can go... Particularly because it'll likely open up a spot for Daniel Howe to walk into. The sooner we can get games into Howe the better, the kid is super talented and clearly a class above VFL.

I get the feeling the club thinks and feels the same way with Suckers as they did Young. We need to be mindful that cash reserves are needed for guys like Hartung/Langford/Anderson/Woody.

I don't understand this thought process....

I understand family ect but he would be on a decent wicket compared to the average Joe Blow.

As I've said previously... I would crawl on broken glass to play 5min for Hawthorn
The average Joe Blow can keep the same career until they're well into their 60's.
Footballers are lucky to make it to where Suckling is at and he's already had the ACL. He needs to get that money while he can and given he's got that flag and could be out of the 22 next year with Howe improving every week...

He can go... Particularly because it'll likely open up a spot for Daniel Howe to walk into. The sooner we can get games into Howe the better, the kid is super talented and clearly a class above VFL.

I get the feeling the club thinks and feels the same way with Suckers as they did Young. We need to be mindful that cash reserves are needed for guys like Hartung/Langford/Anderson/Woody.

Spot on. We rate him and will offer him a contract. But it will be what we think he is worth and the offer won't be increased. We'd prefer he stays, but he is a very replaceable player IMO. JOR, Howe, Anderson all fighting for a spot.

Yep.

They will give him an offer but Brissie will pay much more.

If he stays on a reasonable offer then great, if not then good luck to him.

It is a win/win for the club.

I think he might head off for bigger cash elsewhere, unless he is willing to take a pay-cut to play with friends? but im not sure he is guaranteed games even if he stays, so the bigger cash and consistant game time, might force his hand?

Haven't seen suckers chase like he did on the weekend thru the middle of the ground or play with a harder edge than the last 2 weeks. Has been great. Some sort of penny has dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the whole 'do we play him' argument only really works for sides that are rebuilding. We want to win every game and if Suckling helps then we keep him. To be honest it looks like he's gone, and fair enough to him. I don't begrudge him going if someone like Brisbane comes in with a big bid - footy's a short career and players have to look at these things objectively.

I love my current job, but if someone came and offered me an extra $50k a year I'd consider it, if not take it on the spot.

Good point. I think the amount he will be offered and what we want to pay for him is far more apart than $50k though, more like $100k+. I'm not saying he is worth that to us, but he is to a side without an elite kick in defence.

If the 500k over 3 years is right that's probably $750k more over the next 3 year than he's make playing for us. With a good accountant he'd keep $500k+ of that. It's alot of money for a guy who has never been on big money and was a rookie for 3 years.

If the 500k over 3 years is right that's probably $750k more over the next 3 year than he's make playing for us. With a good accountant he'd keep $500k+ of that. It's alot of money for a guy who has never been on big money and was a rookie for 3 years.

Spot on. Buddy is a completely different kettle of fish. The game will look after Buddy long after he hangs up his boots. Suckling is a different scenario altogether. As an outsider looking in he appears a popular part of the group and it will be tough for him to go. He may have the chance to set himself up and will probably take it. The trade off will be team success though.

Where is this 500K figure coming from?
Something is very wrong if teams which are basically broke are able to throw money like that around for a player like Suckling.
You have to pay a minimum 92% (?) of the salary cap, so some teams pay players money that others wouldn't
Brisbane have how many guns on their list?

Where is this 500K figure coming from?
Something is very wrong if teams which are basically broke are able to throw money like that around for a player like Suckling.

All teams have to spend a minimum of the cap (used to be 92.5% I think). Which is why you ended up with dire Melbourne players earning more than Cats multiple Premiership players.

Haven't seen suckers chase like he did on the weekend thru the middle of the ground or play with a harder edge than the last 2 weeks. Has been great. Some sort of penny has dropped.

IMO it was the threaten to drop him and then the sub vest. All players want to play and he realised he had to up his game. Great success!

All teams have to spend a minimum of the cap (used to be 92.5% I think). Which is why you ended up with dire Melbourne players earning more than Cats multiple Premiership players.
Yep, just doesn't seem right, and Hawthorn members are contributing money which ultimately the AFL pass on to Brisbane to pay the inflated wage for someone like Suckling.

If Suckling were to leave I don't see anyone offering enough for us to get band 1 compo, which is after our 1st round. However if the reported offer from Brisbane is true, then I think we would be a chance at band 2 compo, which is at the start of the 2nd round...if we were to win the flag it is essentially the same pick regardless of being band 1 or 2.

Yep.

They will give him an offer but Brissie will pay much more.

If he stays on a reasonable offer then great, if not then good luck to him.

It is a win/win for the club.

It's not a win/win.

If you think the AFL are going to give Hawthorn a value pick if Suckling leaves then you are deluded. The AFL uses the compensatory pick as a substitute for the priority pick and it is only the likes of Melbourne and Carlton that are going to get over the top compensation.

It's not a win/win.

If you think the AFL are going to give Hawthorn a value pick if Suckling leaves then you are deluded. The AFL uses the compensatory pick as a substitute for the priority pick and it is only the likes of Melbourne and Carlton that are going to get over the top compensation.
No-one is asking for over the top compensation

The reality is players get paid a whole lot less than what we think. Players like Guerra coming out recently saying he was on $200k probably gives you some perspective. Suckling would be lucky to be on that money at Hawthorn and is likely in the $150-175k range. His next contract might be $200-225k and the minimum offer coming for him is $333k x 3 years. You'd surely be thinking about that, maybe I'll stay, maybe I'll go. That's why with free agency, particularly the average teams like Brisbane have to offer $500k x 3 years to get him. That's almost a million bucks more. Everyone would take that increase. Goes with my blessing. Good luck suckling!

Back