Review Steele Sidebottom - 2011 Season Review

Steele Sidebottom

091107_steele_2.jpg

There was an aura surrounding the man with the #22 guernsey accepting his premiership medallion on October 2nd, 2010. He was widely accepted as the second best player on the ground behind the Norm Smith medallist Scott Pendlebury. As many pundits predicted, he was ready to stamp himself on the competition.

In 2011, Steele Sidebottom didn’t quite reach the hype predicted for him, but he did show his consistency, to play every game in a top two team. Averaging 19 disposals and a goal, he had quite a number of ups and downs. His best game came against the Western Bulldogs in Round 6 when he collected a career-high 28 disposals and booted three goals. Steele managed to prove his consistency by not collecting below 13 disposals in any game, while also being one of the few who could hold his head high in the Grand Final for his 23 disposals and two goals.

Steele Sidebottom had proved once again he was a big game player, and despite only being 20, has managed to play in two grand finals, for one premiership. The boy from Congupna has already made his mark, and like 2011, many are waiting for him to make the next step.

He has composure beyond his years and a great goal sense which has made opponents more accountable. Along with his footballing traits, his huge grin and cheeky attitude and made him a cult hero among not only supporters, but around the world, after winning ‘Name of the Year’. In 2012, I expect Steele to take that next step, which midfield coach Robert Harvey has said he will aim to do, and allow Sidebottom to spend more time in the middle. If that is the case, expect to see a lot more Steele in the middle.

Karate Feel

Debutant
Apr 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Absolutely rate this kid.People forget he's only played 3 seasons and has produced in the biggest day of all twice.Even the drawn GF he played well.This kid is a natural footballer with skills both sides of his body and elite endurance to boot.I wish people don't get on his back, the consistency will come.Hate to say it but he reminds me of Gavin Wanganeen,great poise and doesn't panic.

In my view kids who aren't scared in the big games and back themselves are untouchables,you have to have players who own the big stage to win flags and he is one of them.Looking forward to a breakout year, steele could be anything.

Blessed

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2011
House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
I think Steele is an intriguing player.

For large amounts of the season he hardly gets a kick and is in our bottom 5 or 6 players.

Then, during finals time, he steps up.

He has had two brilliant Grand Finals for us on top of the under 18 Grand Final for Murray Bushrangers where he kicked 10 goals.

An example of how he can step up for big games is when he kicked 3 goals in his 50th game against North.

So why doesn’t he play like that all the time?

He almost seems to get bored during games.

I would love him to be more consistent.

Number 10

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I will never forget the play he did in the 2011 grand final. Never.

We had possession, lost it in a tackle, Sidebottom burst through, toe poked the ball, spun out of a would-be tackler, picked up the ball and slotted it from 45. Brilliant, Smart, is one of the only players of his age, let alone the whole competition, to have the composure to do something like that.

GJayBee

Draftee
Jan 4, 2011
Melbounre
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well said. I think he is going to keep progressing and would easily be in any teams best 22. Last year Malthouse said that people bagged Daisey in 2010 when they didn't understand that his role was as defensive forward. He went on to say that in 2011 Steele now had that role. I think that Steele is ready to explode like Daisy did when he was given more midfield time and an attacking role up forward.

Not to say that a man like Steele doesn't know how to attack. Love the man. Champion.
Check out 'rusty's day out' on youtube. He takes a final by the scruff of the neck against Adelaide when we were six goals down. Amazing. He was the youngest player on the field at 19, we came back and it was our win of 09.

GJayBee

Draftee
Jan 4, 2011
Melbounre
AFL Club
Collingwood
I hear ya, but like I wrote below, he was asked to be a defensive forward. And, as ya know he will become more consistent as he gets older.

Number 10

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks mate great video. He isn't flashy and he doesn't have all the tricks but he does the essentials so well with little fuss and lots of time on his hands like Pendles.

Back