Traded Stefan Martin (2012-2020)

Really hard to know if it was a turn the corner game or a fluke.Obviously needs to be encouraged on that effort and see what happens.It's clear he has more energy around the ball at ground level than a few other rucks so he really needs to keep that going as a long suit.

Really hard to know if it was a turn the corner game or a fluke.Obviously needs to be encouraged on that effort and see what happens.It's clear he has more energy around the ball at ground level than a few other rucks so he really needs to keep that going as a long suit.

He's shown plenty as a solo ruck before. I think it's his best role, but the game has moved away from a single ruck outside of necessity, i.e. our ruck training area being built on an ancient Indian cemetary or something.

He's shown plenty as a solo ruck before. I think it's his best role, but the game has moved away from a single ruck outside of necessity, i.e. our ruck training area being built on an ancient Indian cemetary or something.

He did show hes capable of at least bringing the ball to ground in the forward 50, giving the likes of Green, Zorko and Taylor every chance to grab it and goal.

Forward marking may never be his strongest point but it hasnt exactly been Burgrs either.

So many people wrote him off as a spud and I don't know why when the guy barely got on the park. He at the very least showed he can compete up forward in limited time. I think he could play a vital role for us over the next few years with West and Bergs. Hopefully we can keep them fit, and along with Merrett gives us some big targets to kick the ball to and create a contest up forward.

Groo2

All Australian
Nov 11, 2006
Australia City
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He has seriously been in good form. Always been better as a first ruck. While Martin is in good form I wonder if it would be a better idea to leave Leunberger in the reserves for another coupe of weeks before bringing him in and splitting the ruck duties 50/50 with Martin.
I think the sooner Leuy comes in the better. We know what Martin can do in the ruck, the more games we can get into him in that ruck/forward role this year the more confidence both he and the club will have going forward. If he is to be a regular member of the side next year that is what he needs to do. We will never know, but I wish we had seen him in combo with West, his form in the 2's leading up the dogs game warranted promotion (by all reports) and he may have played even with West not going down.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think the sooner Leuy comes in the better. We know what Martin can do in the ruck, the more games we can get into him in that ruck/forward role this year the more confidence both he and the club will have going forward. If he is to be a regular member of the side next year that is what he needs to do. We will never know, but I wish we had seen him in combo with West, his form in the 2's leading up the dogs game warranted promotion (by all reports) and he may have played even with West not going down.

Previously at his best he gave us a target up forward that would bring the ball to ground. Looks to have added a fair bit of muscle and seems a better contested mark than he previously was.

But his form in the ruck has bee super. Leuenberger could seriously have to work hard if he plans on being the #1 ruck. Martin has taken two huge sculps in Goldstein and Minson, competed very well against Sandilands and Mumford.

Keep in mind he has only played 66 games in his career. Half of those would be as a forward too.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-29/nine-things-we-learned-from-round-15
9. Stefan Martin is saving his career
The former Melbourne ruckman has had an amazing month since being recalled to step up in the absence of injured first choices Matthew Leuenberger and Trent West. In successive weeks he has taken on Will Minson, Shane Mumford, Aaron Sandilands and Todd Goldstein, and cut even or had the better of all four. Against the Roos he had 20 disposals, 36 hitouts, six marks and four clearances in another influential display. The athletic Martin is 27 and his unreliable body looked like curtailing his career, but with some continuity he is now showing what he's capable of and resurrecting his career. Leuenberger was back in the reserves at the weekend, but Martin has demanded he remains in the team. - Michael Whiting

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Who are the AFL's most improved players?

BRISBANE LIONS
Worthy mentions:
Ruckman Stefan Martin has also revitalised his career and, although with just four weeks evidence to go on, is playing career-best footy. The former Demon has averaged 18 disposals, 30 hit-outs and five tackles against quality ruckmen since returning from long-term injury.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Martin awaits ‘ultimate combination’

BRISBANE ruckman Stefan Martin has two more mountains to climb after five weeks of scaling lofty heights against some of the best tall timber in the AFL. After overcoming a series of serious injuries and with Brisbane’s ruck stocks at breaking point ahead of Round 12, Martin has gone toe-to-toe with Will Minson (Bulldogs), Shane Mumford (Giants), Aaron Sandilands (Dockers), Todd Goldstein (Kangaroos) and Ivan Maric (Tigers) and more than held his own. However, the twin towers of West Coast duo Dean Cox and Nic Naitanui will represent the athletic 27-year-old’s greatest test at the Gabba this Saturday night.

It is a challenge the former Demon is relishing. “I had a good run playing in the ruck for Melbourne a couple of years ago when I started to build some confidence. “I’m more consistent now than what I was then and I’m doing a bit more around the ground so the last month or so has probably been some of my best footy.’’

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Stefan Martin continued his incredible resurgence, finishing with 24 disposals, 25 hit-outs and four clearances. He dominated the Eagles' triple team of Nic Naitanui, Scott Lycett and Callum Sinclair in the first half, before running out of legs in the second.

Massive again tonight; in a remarkable run of form at the moment and I'd suggest his manager will be fielding a fair few enquiries regarding his services for 2015 and beyond. I'm of the view that we may just struggle retaining him.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
Massive again tonight; in a remarkable run of form at the moment and I'd suggest his manager will be fielding a fair few enquiries regarding his services for 2015 and beyond. I'm of the view that we may just struggle retaining him.
Weren't you saying we overpaid with two s**t draft picks when we got him?

BigCat2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought in Leppa's post-match press he was a little conserved when asked to comment on Stefan Martin. He was asked "does his performance surprise you", and replied "for people who've been associated with him, no".

He was commented that he was probably 3rd in line in terms of rucks, and he's just taken his opportunity. Said there are still things to work on.

Given his incredible form of late, I personally would have been more generous with my praise. However maybe Leppa knows better - Stef might be someone who you need to keep pushing and demanding for more.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought in Leppa's post-match press he was a little conserved when asked to comment on Stefan Martin. He was asked "does his performance surprise you", and replied "for people who've been associated with him, no".

He was commented that he was probably 3rd in line in terms of rucks, and he's just taken his opportunity. Said there are still things to work on.

Given his incredible form of late, I personally would have been more generous with my praise. However maybe Leppa knows better - Stef might be someone who you need to keep pushing and demanding for more.

Interesting...I was about to post the same reflection. I got the impression that Leppa was expecting nothing less than what Stefan was providing and more. He is carrying an enormous load for us at present and holding his own. When Close gives him a break, we get beaten badly in clearances and often concede some goals.

Back