Traded Stefan Martin (2012-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if he'd work as a roaming CHF in the reiwoldt mould when Leuey is fit again.

Martin has grabbed the No.1 Ruck spot and is consistently delivering for the last few rounds. We need to leave him there so he continues to develop that understanding with midfield.

It might be better to keep Leuey in the forward line and let him become the relief ruck/forward. I guess it gives him a chance to get the body right, away from rigours of Gabba center square, with more continuity and game time.

This problem just puts a smile of my face, how far we have come to start thinking Leuey as the relief ruck option these days.

Martin has grabbed the No.1 Ruck spot and is consistently delivering for the last few rounds. We need to leave him there so he continues to develop that understanding with midfield.

It might be better to keep Leuey in the forward line and let him become the relief ruck/forward. I guess it gives him a chance to get the body right, away from rigours of Gabba center square, with more continuity and game time.

This problem just puts a smile of my face, how far we have come to start thinking Leuey as the relief ruck option these days.
Martin's style will be worked out eventually. Perfect time to change things up with Leuy. Chuck him in to mess with the opposition's heads!

Steff gets a write up in The Age

West succumbed to a season-ending knee injury during the Lions’ thrilling round 11 victory over Carlton. It coincided with Martin’s second game back in the NEAFL, a convincing display right before the eyes of coach Justin Leppitsch.

What has transpired since Martin’s round 12 recall to the Lions’ side has been nothing short of remarkable.

In seven games Martin has not only resuscitated his career but pricked the attention of opposition clubs. He is averaging 20 disposals a game, making him the most prolific ball-winning ruckman in the competition. His consistency stands out, having accumulated no fewer than 16 touches in any of his appearances.

More importantly, the Lions have had three wins in this time. They had just two in the preceding 10 outings.

Not surprisingly, Martin feels he is playing the best football of his career.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...he-main-man-20140802-zzt19.html#ixzz39H3C1rNg

Stefan Martin takes giant strides in second coming at Lions

THE STUDENT takes on the teacher on Sunday, when Stefan Martin lines up against former teammate Mark Jamar for the first time. Martin has been one of the Brisbane Lions' raging success stories this season, starring in his seven games since being given opportunity following injuries to regular rucks Matthew Leuenberger and Trent West.

But Martin is now commanding respect of his own, after an amazing career revival that looked unlikely two months ago. Martin has just moved apartments in Brisbane and is in the early stages of trying to negotiate a new deal with the club. "I'm really enjoying my life up here," he said. "I would love to be here. The footy club's been great to me and I really appreciate that. I love the club a lot and it'd be great to be here for a long time."

Five talking points

4. Martin's moment to shine
Traded from Melbourne to the Brisbane Lions at the end of 2012, Stefan Martin was seen as very much a depth player when he ventured up north. Behind Matthew Leuenberger and Trent West at the start of the year, the 27-year-old could easily be forgiven for thinking his career was done. But opportunity presented itself when Leuenberger and West went down for the season and Martin has relished the responsibility as the Lions' No.1. Since coming into the team in round 12, Martin is averaging almost 20 touches a game. His follow-up work against the Demons was top notch, as he finished with 23 disposals and 24 hit-outs. Out of contract at year's end, it's not likely the Lions will want to part with him any time soon.

Was really amazed at the temerity of some of the Melbourne fans around me today getting stuck into Stef as if he abandoned them in circumstances similar to that of Scully. If he wasn't traded, he would have been delisted.

It would be a lot like Lions fans booing Tom Logan. Ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was really amazed at the temerity of some of the Melbourne fans around me today getting stuck into Stef as if he abandoned them in circumstances similar to that of Scully. If he wasn't traded, he would have been delisted.

It would be a lot like Lions fans booing Tom Logan. Ridiculous.

Same as the Doggies fans booing Hudson when we played down at Docklands in 2012.

Cashed-up Lions in need of a star

The first priority should be re-signing Stefan Martin, who continued his stunning career resurrection with a solid showing against Aaron Sandilands yesterday. Had they offered him a new deal two months ago he would have leapt at it but times have changed. Now Hawthorn are reportedly interested they have competition and that means the player has more power at the negotiating table. Martin has earned a pay rise with his efforts since returning to the side in Round 12 but Brisbane should not let the public knowledge of the cash they have to spend artificially inflate his value. When Matthew Leuenberger returns he will assume the No.1 mantle. Martin’s value to the side will then depend on how well he can play deep forward and serve as Leuenberger’s deputy.

Stefan Martin hasn't let injury keep him down

STEFAN Martin is excited about the prospect of being a part of a full-strength Brisbane Lions midfield next season - one in which he and Matthew Leuenberger alternate in the ruck. At the crossroads three months ago, the 27-year-old's career-revival has been one of the stories of 2014. If not for knee injuries to Leuenberger and back-up big man Trent West, however, the athletic 198cm powerhouse may not have had a chance at the top level again.

After playing just five games last season following his arrival from Melbourne, Martin made his first appearance this year in round 12. He had only returned to the field two weeks earlier in the NEAFL after overcoming a back injury, but hit the ground running for the seniors … and hasn't stopped. Among the permanent ruckmen in the league, he is a number one for average disposals (22), marks (6) and clearances (4), while also registering a career-high 30 hit-outs. It's the type of form that have fans hoping doesn't diminish if he's forced to play second-fiddle to Leuenberger.

"I talked to Leppa (coach Justin Leppitsch) this week, and he's pretty excited about next year, having 'Leuey' back and getting perhaps myself and him up and running and trying to be a really dangerous duo, swapping through the ruck and playing some tricks ... maybe try and reinvent the way ruckmen play together." "I was talking to Daniel Rich just a couple of days ago about next year and getting that whole midfield group together, we're pretty excited about it, to be honest," Martin said. Suffice to say, Martin doesn't plan on going anywhere, with his manager, Paul Connors, currently in negotiations with the club about a new contract after the old one expires at the end of this season. "It would be great to sort something out sooner rather than later," he said.

Stef's resurgence truly is remarkable and I couldn't be happier for the bloke. Love how positive and excited he sounds about our future.

Didn't Lethal use Browny as a midfielder at some stage around 2005-7?

Yep. Mitch roved Leuey's taps as well at different points. NicNat's also roved Cox's taps moderately often.

Brisbane set to re-sign in-form ruckman Stefan Martin

BRISBANE are poised to rubber stamp the contract extension of in-form ruckman Stefan Martin as early as today. The Lions and Martin’s management were in the last throws of finalising the deal last night with confirmation expected before the end of the week. Martin has been a revelation since being thrust into the role of no. 1 ruckman in Round 12, catapulting himself into calculations for the extended All-Australian squad which will be named next week. After a diabolic run with injuries, Martin has been one of the most consistent and best-performed ruckman in the competition with his athleticism and skill enabling him to match it with the best big men in the AFL.

His extended run in the ruck and Brisbane’s vastly improved second-half of the season are certainly no coincidence. It is understood that Hawthorn were seriously looking at the former Demon so the re-signing of the 27-year-old is a significant coup for Brisbane who will have great ruck depth and ominous flexibility next year when Matthew Leuenberger returns from a knee injury.

Love it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back