Stephen Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't wait to see how Roos deals with Hilly on the weekend. Will he let him go or will he try to shut him down? If there was a coach who knew how to deal with Hill it would be Roos. May be struggling for the cattle to implement a tactic but will be fascinating none the less.

I'd be very surprised if roos left him to his own devices. Dunno who Melbourne use as a tagger... mckenzie maybe?... but surely they'll at least have a run with minding hilly.

He has been fantastic this season and definitely looks to be a more confident player. When he removes the idea of immediately getting rid of the ball via handball and actually bursts for 10 meters it is so damn useful. I wish he would do it even more.

I still get a bit pissed at him for passing the ball when heading into the 50... I wish he would be a little more selfish but if that is the worst thing I can say about him, he is going damn well!

Opposition coaches have lost their minds. Tagging Fyfe or Mundy is ridiculously stupid. Yes, both can kill you, but both are very adept at working through a tag. I personally think as good as Hill was last week, Fyfe was BOG. The amount of clearances he got and tackles he laid when we were under the pump was huge. Fyfe has been "beaten" by a tagger once, against the Bulldogs (during a game when he was not at 100 per cent fitness due to an early knock.) and even then, he pulled down some exceptionally important marks and finished with a reasonable disposal tally.

Leaving Hill unattended is pure lunacy. Opposition coaches have known this from the very first game he played. For some reason, this year they have forgotten it.

Opposition coaches have lost their minds. Tagging Fyfe or Mundy is ridiculously stupid. Yes, both can kill you, but both are very adept at working through a tag. I personally think as good as Hill was last week, Fyfe was BOG. The amount of clearances he got and tackles he laid when we were under the pump was huge. Fyfe has been "beaten" by a tagger once, against the Bulldogs (during a game when he was not at 100 per cent fitness due to an early knock.) and even then, he pulled down some exceptionally important marks and finished with a reasonable disposal tally.

Leaving Hill unattended is pure lunacy. Opposition coaches have known this from the very first game he played. For some reason, this year they have forgotten it.

Absolutely true, the coaches have forgotten, they think Fyfe and Mundy are a serious threat and think they can stop them, which as previously stated, gives Hill a free paddock.

The upside of having such a strong midfield.

No it is not ridiculously stupid to tag Fyfe or Mundy. Fyfe has gotten to 30 odd touches in games where he's been tagged. That could easily have been in the 40s without it. Fyfe is also one of our better goalscoring and centre clearance mids.

Really any of those three are worth sending a tag to and the reality is that all three of them are working through tags pretty well when it ends up happening.

Hawthorn never send anyone to Hill and they always get us.

No it is not ridiculously stupid to tag Fyfe or Mundy. Fyfe has gotten to 30 odd touches in games where he's been tagged. That could easily have been in the 40s without it. Fyfe is also one of our better goalscoring and centre clearance mids.

Really any of those three are worth sending a tag to and the reality is that all three of them are working through tags pretty well when it ends up happening.

Shiels generally runs with Hilly - more of a 'soft' tag though

Hawthorn rarely send anyone to anyone. Langford tagged Ablett earlier in the season but other than that I can't recall too many hard tags by Hawthorn.

Have crunched the numbers. Healy was right.

In Hilly's 121 games he's gotten 25 touches or more 17 times. Of those games we won 16/17 (94%). Of the games where he didn't get 25 or more we lost 53/104 (49%).

They didn't pick 25 by accident. That's the number that gives the biggest impact, out of all the ones they could have chosen (except for 31 touches, which he's only done twice). A graph for those that're interested.

View attachment 65619

Maybe we should play him in a back flank where he can get lots of cheap possession.

Maybe we should play him in a back flank where he can get lots of cheap possession.
Might help. But I don't think that padding hill's stat count up to 25 is a magic bullet to get us a win.

I don't know what other player's trends are like either. There might be someone else that has a similar correlation between touches and wins.

Who knows. Personally I'd file this stat as interesting and potentially suggestive, rather than as something genuinely useful.

Hawthorn rarely send anyone to anyone. Langford tagged Ablett earlier in the season but other than that I can't recall too many hard tags by Hawthorn.
Langford was running with fyfe or maybe mundy against us I thought. At the very least at the clearances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sucks to hear that Hill won't play until after the bye (Source: Ross pressers). An alright time to miss thought, however he was red hot in the Derby!! Hope he can replicate that form into the finals and his injury doesn't keep him back too much!!!

Alright, I know this will be taken with a pinch of salt but it is something to consider. Bradley Hill's roommate has said that at the end Stephen's contract the Hawks will make a play at him. This is off the back of Brad wanting to get a bit more money and coming back to play with his brother. Hawthorn duly give more money and have asked for a figure for Stephen for which Hawthorn have said they'll match.

Of course this completely relies on the trustworthiness of Hawthorn, Brad and his roommate. Also, Freo would only need to match whatever he's offered.

Do stress this sounds tabloid-esque, but I can confirm Brad and his roommate are close mates.

Plus remember when Paul Roos apparently bought a house in Wembley? Melbourne is darn far from North of the river. So willing and hoping what I've been told is wrong.

Alright, I know this will be taken with a pinch of salt but it is something to consider. Bradley Hill's roommate has said that at the end Stephen's contract the Hawks will make a play at him. This is off the back of Brad wanting to get a bit more money and coming back to play with his brother. Hawthorn duly give more money and have asked for a figure for Stephen for which Hawthorn have said they'll match.

Of course this completely relies on the trustworthiness of Hawthorn, Brad and his roommate. Also, Freo would only need to match whatever he's offered.

Do stress this sounds tabloid-esque, but I can confirm Brad and his roommate are close mates.

Plus remember when Paul Roos apparently bought a house in Wembley? Melbourne is darn far from North of the river. So willing and hoping what I've been told is wrong.

Brad Hill is play 150 game for Freo and him and Stephen will be the first brownlow brothers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back