Injury Steve Johnson - foot soreness

Remove this Banner Ad

Starting to get worried about this one. SJ is many things, but he has consistently been one of our absolute best finals players, apart from maybe 2009GF in mitigating circumstances. If we are to do any damage at all this finals series - We need SJ

All the rest off the foot will do wonders.
Will play limited game time against Brisbane I'm tipping.

Starting to get worried about this one. SJ is many things, but he has consistently been one of our absolute best finals players, apart from maybe 2009GF in mitigating circumstances. If we are to do any damage at all this finals series - We need SJ

Yep, it's a worry.

No dice without StevieJ...

271501-steve-johnson.jpg

He'll still play, we know he has a pretty high pain tolerance (from 2011 and other instances) so providing he is still able to run well, he will play finals.

Earlier in the year you'd give him 6 weeks off but he won't want that now with a flag to attack. Probably gets 1 more off just to give him as much rest as possible, then back in rnd 23.

In all our GF wins, there has been a good player absent, but none the calibre of SJ.
If it is a metatarsal stress fracture, he should be destressed by finals time, unless it's the Varcoe type.
If it's any other bone, not worth speculating.

In all our GF wins, there has been a good player absent, but none the calibre of SJ.
If it is a metatarsal stress fracture, he should be destressed by finals time, unless it's the Varcoe type.

From Doc Larkins
THERE is a chance Steve Johnson might not play again until Geelong's finals campaign starts in September.
The Cats consider him a week-to-week proposition – he's a work in progress with the stress reaction in his right foot that presented with pain after round 20.
They don't want to risk him, so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play for two more weeks in the hope the reaction in the bone subsides.
It's not a full stress fracture but it is inflammation and it can go on to being a stress fracture so Geelong is being wary with his load – he's not training and has been on crutches and in a moonboot.
He missed round 21 against Carlton, I'm not expecting him to play this week against Hawthorn and it's quite likely he'll miss another week beyond that.

Or play him as the sub - like Richmond did with Royce Hart in those big finals - when he was on one leg - came on and got them over the line
I'd love to be able to do this say halfway through the 3rd quarter. I just don't think we are in good enough form to do it. Secondly, we run the risk if he needs to come on early for say an injury.

From Doc Larkins
THERE is a chance Steve Johnson might not play again until Geelong's finals campaign starts in September.
The Cats consider him a week-to-week proposition – he's a work in progress with the stress reaction in his right foot that presented with pain after round 20.
They don't want to risk him, so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play for two more weeks in the hope the reaction in the bone subsides.
It's not a full stress fracture but it is inflammation and it can go on to being a stress fracture so Geelong is being wary with his load – he's not training and has been on crutches and in a moonboot.
He missed round 21 against Carlton, I'm not expecting him to play this week against Hawthorn and it's quite likely he'll miss another week beyond that.
I'm going with this bit. It's a ruse to lull the Hawks into a false sense of security, then 'bang' he explodes onto the scene in the first final against 'em fit and raring to go.:)

I'm going with this bit. It's a ruse to lull the Hawks into a false sense of security, then 'bang' he explodes onto the scene in the first final against 'em fit and raring to go.:)
Ditto Rioli?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only one GF, 2008.
We may be on different Lambdas.
My fault. Thought your ref was plural and not specifically meaning against us.

Although some would differ didn't think he was all that great in 2013. And we've kept him under control in most other encounters. Throw in that he's been out way longer than SJ and his 'string probs are almost chronic now.

On a more relevant note, hope the club is on the money and that SJ only has a hot spot and that he can walk freely. The crutches being used to reduce weight bearing and thereby hasten healing. Of course that may be directly from the Balme book on injury status. :)

I thought they'd cleared him of a fracture? Or am I getting the news the wrong way around?

Edit- scrap that. I've just read the update above. It's all good. Sorry :(

I keep thinking Matty Egan.

Keep the the boot on SJ…

Get it right first… either this year or next. The down side is WAY bigger. Not saying Egan = SJ but anytime you start with stress fracture, its all too similar for mine.

GO Catters

Stevie's probably setting up for a repeat of his Lazarus strut around the boundary during the prelim, interrupting the game as a roar goes around he ground, followed by a "will-he-won't-he?" Grand Final week involving choppers at training, followed by a 3 goal masterpiece in the Granny. ;)

I agree with a no-risk approach. Gives the next-in guys a fortnight to audition. What a time for them.

Id play him close to the goal square - forget the midfield

Or play him as the sub - like Richmond did with Royce Hart in those big finals - when he was on one leg - came on and got them over the line

Totally different rule, and totally different game. I suspect it's slightly harder to carry an injured player into any game these days. We found that out with Johnson in 2009 and narrowly escaped, but because it worked in 2011 every club will do it.

Remember the hits, forget the misses.

I keep thinking Matty Egan.

Keep the the boot on SJ…

Get it right first… either this year or next. The down side is WAY bigger. Not saying Egan = SJ but anytime you start with stress fracture, its all too similar for mine.

GO Catters

I reckon some people would be thinking Matty Egan if it was an ingrown toenail.

Whatever happens from here, I think it should be remembered that Johnson is 32 next year. This could be his last chance at a grand final; it could be his last chance at a final of any description. 2009 and 2011 suggest that if he was presented with a Trent Croad scenario, he'd happily sacrifice the rest of his football career for one more shot at a premiership.

Yeah- I've been thinking he could be a surprise retirement, ever since his mid-season back problems. The only thing that's been keeping him going is his will to succeed, I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back