Toast Steve Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

To me, Johnson has been the most effective midfielder in the game this year. I would tie Mitchell and Selwood just below.

I base it on effectiveness when he gets the ball and how he impact team play. He turns an every day possession into a shot for goal for a team-mate down the ground more than any other. Spiritually, and onfield leadership, Selwood of course.

SJs best footy is when he plays on the edge. So wouldn't be too sure about him getting through a season penalty free. Frankly, don't think he's that fussed about individual awards. More driven by team success I reckon.

Is it? Since when? His best footy is when he runs hard all day and does the basics.

Didn't get suspended between 2007-2009. Got suspended in 2010 and you could argue that was unlucky as it was retaliation against the scumbag Steven Baker. But there has been no excuse - none at all - for the last FOUR suspensions. All coming in less than 12 months (Round 23 v Sydney last year, NAB Cup against Fremantle, v Brisbane this year, and then first game back v Melbourne). If you can find how this possibly helps his football I'd love to know. Especially as he was just as good a player without it.

To me, Johnson has been the most effective midfielder in the game this year. I would tie Mitchell and Selwood just below.

I base it on effectiveness when he gets the ball and how he impact team play. He turns an every day possession into a shot for goal for a team-mate down the ground more than any other. Spiritually, and onfield leadership, Selwood of course.
Not sure about that. Some games this year I reckon he was turning the ball over more often than hitting the target.

Is it? Since when? His best footy is when he runs hard all day and does the basics.

Didn't get suspended between 2007-2009. Got suspended in 2010 and you could argue that was unlucky as it was retaliation against the scumbag Steven Baker. But there has been no excuse - none at all - for the last FOUR suspensions. All coming in less than 12 months (Round 23 v Sydney last year, NAB Cup against Fremantle, v Brisbane this year, and then first game back v Melbourne). If you can find how this possibly helps his football I'd love to know. Especially as he was just as good a player without it.
Too many people here want to turn SJ into an automaton. He's a freakish player who can (and does) things few others can. That occasionally means when attempting something freakish that doesn't come off he can be frustrating. Never take from him the capacity to do the exceptional. It's what makes him a football artist and there aren't many of them around. That's what I mean by playing on the edge. Something you misinterpret as poor discipline.

Not sure about that. Some games this year I reckon he was turning the ball over more often than hitting the target.

Agree. That the umps don't notice that is hardly surprising.

The last 10 games his efficiency rating was around 65%. Less than 70% isn't great. But not horrendous either. The only absolute Barry Crocker was against the Dees.

Too many people here want to turn SJ into an automaton. He's a freakish player who can (and does) things few others can. That occasionally means when attempting something freakish that doesn't come off he can be frustrating. Never take from him the capacity to do the exceptional. It's what makes him a football artist and there aren't many of them around. That's what I mean by playing on the edge. Something you misinterpret as poor discipline.

Yeah if you're saying he tries things out that aren't always percentage plays, that's fine. I'm talking about dumb physical acts that will never benefit the team, where there is no positive to come from it, and he should know better. That's my description of his poor discipline. The actual football can be occasionally frustrating but overall is still great.

Is everyone forgetting that the Brownlow is for the best & FAIREST player of the year. He was suspended 3 times?! Didn't deserve it.

Some of us aren't. He got fair warning to pull his head in at the end of 2012 and then again in the NAB Cup. He still would have been eligible if he had been able to keep out of trouble after the Ballantyne hit. Instead, he got suspended again, not once, but twice.

10176050_664631890240142_5218725031122402957_n.jpg

We all have a player like that, don't we?
Mine were/are Lindner/Burns/Varcoe, but I'm luckier than you because, while they proportionately stuff(ed) up far more than Johnno, they didn't/don't get anywhere near as many chances.
Look, Johnson was my favourite player for a decade.

But I can't tolerate the sort of mistakes he made in the third. Because they were completely avoidable. Three times in ten minutes he gave the footy away through laziness or carelessness, nothing to do with skill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a massive Johnson fan. He was and still is my favourite player. But he has been well below what he is capable of due to very poor skill errors. Has anyone ever kicked the ball into the man on the mark 3 times in the same game before? I seriously don't understand why everyone has been giving him votes. He cost us quite a few goals yesterday.

I'm a massive Johnson fan. He was and still is my favourite player. But he has been well below what he is capable of due to very poor skill errors. Has anyone ever kicked the ball into the man on the mark 3 times in the same game before? I seriously don't understand why everyone has been giving him votes. He cost us quite a few goals yesterday.

Because apart from 3 woeful mistakes he kicked 3 and contributed to just about all the rest.

I get really annoyed when the commentators play up to the magical tricks garbage like it's an intrinsic part of his game. His game is based on phenomenal workrate (especially running), and constant presenting around the ground. The tricks are just a layer on top, he's still an incredible footballer without them. I worry sometimes that he believes it himself. He doesn't need to.

His clearance work was awesome yesterday, found space and freed up teammates where others struggled. But his howlers were really bad, seems like the more time and space he has he tried to be too cute and the turnovers often equated to opposition scoring opportunities. Should have been dragged for a few of them, not a good example for the younger players.
Wasn't as sloppy as the Eagles game but still his mistakes are avoidable for a player of his quality.

I get really annoyed when the commentators play up to the magical tricks garbage like it's an intrinsic part of his game. His game is based on phenomenal workrate (especially running), and constant presenting around the ground. The tricks are just a layer on top, he's still an incredible footballer without them. I worry sometimes that he believes it himself. He doesn't need to.
True his work rate is phenomenal and is ignored by the media. Yesterday it wasn't even poorly attempted tricks that cost us. It was just really poor skill execution of basic kicks and hand balls over the mark. It was the same against West Coast.

You know what I loved. After his 3rd quarter scotty gave him a BAKE and in the last SJ was almost faultless.
Loved it.
Scotty for standing up to an "uncoachable" player and telling him to pull his head in and for SJ for doing exactly what was needed and what makes him a top 5 player.
would have luved to have seen the bake… Hair standing on end type stuff from CS i reckon…

GO Catters

Because apart from 3 woeful mistakes he kicked 3 and contributed to just about all the rest.
it was more than 3 bad things. yes he did alot of good stuff as well and they cancelled out the bad leaving him as playing just a good game. it wasnt vote worthy. he was in the top half dozen but hawkins, rivers, kelly were ahead for mine.

You know what I loved. After his 3rd quarter scotty gave him a BAKE and in the last SJ was almost faultless.
Loved it.
Scotty for standing up to an "uncoachable" player and telling him to pull his head in and for SJ for doing exactly what was needed and what makes him a top 5 player.
good post but dont understand why you call him uncoachable?

He is such a brilliant ball winner, particularly contested ball, goal kicker, tackler, mark, that he would be very effective if he played lower risk football. He turned the ball over yesterday several times (even more than Taylor Hunt) and he is probably our best damn player so it does hurt us. It is just unnecessary. I think it is time Johnson said to himself, I am not the footballing freak anymore, I may be the best player in the league for the next 18 months if I cut this rubbish out.

In mitigation, I think it is partly pure exhaustion, he works harder than any player I have seen (relative to natural running ability).

I think he needs to spend more time resting forward, play him in bursts through the middle (like Collingwood do with Swan), resting in the forward pocket. He did spend more time up there yesterday. He was brilliant and maddening yesterday.

good post but dont understand why you call him uncoachable?

To me its because he doesn't need to learn the game.
He knows it.
He knows what he's done well and when he's been poor.
He knew he had a shocker that quarter and Scotty knew that he knew yet still gave him a bake.
Sure he does dumb stuff but a smarter footballer there isn't. Also couple that with his ability to do the magical (and downright impossible) makes him one of those so called "uncoachables".
It's not saying he can't be coached or they just leave him to do whatever he wants, it's more that they can't really try to monitor him and motivate him, it's hard to explain but there are players out there, not the most gifted and they require constant feedback and attention from coaches. SJ doesn't.
Ablett Snr and Jnr were the same. I'd say Selwood and Motlop are now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back