Steve Smith vs Glenn Maxwell

Who would you rather have for the India tour?

• Smith

Votes: 89 64.5%
  • Maxwell

Votes: 49 35.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody think Smith should be in the team because he bowls leg spin. He is in there because the selectors believe he is in the top 6 batsmen, and he is. He also no longer resorts to "swipes across the line".

He's averaging 25 this series, people seem to think that he's come out of no where and is all of a sudden one of our best batsmen.

He's averaging 25 this series, people seem to think that he's come out of no where and is all of a sudden one of our best batsmen.

That's an overstatement. People are just happy to see that he's shown glimpses of being able to stand up against a quality bowling attack, which is unfortunately all we can take from this Ashes.

It's indicative of the state of cricket in Australia that he's already played 11 tests and hasn't had the time to hone his craft in FC cricket for a couple more years, but like most others have constantly said, he's one of the few younger generation that have shown tangible improvement, and has a good shot at making himself a test batsman.

Steve Smith has a better technique but Maxwell is a game breaker.

What do you want?

I want Maxwell to give up his bowling and work to tighten up his technique.

Ian Bell isn't a 'game breaker' but he's broken us open. Batsmen with good techniques and temperament set you up to victory in test cricket.

I want Maxwell to give up his bowling and work to tighten up his technique.

Ian Bell isn't a 'game breaker' but he's broken us open. Batsmen with good techniques and temperament set you up to victory in test cricket.

Nasser Hussain mentioned during the last day's play that when Ian Bell first came into the side you could always see the talent, it simply had to be nurtured. I would apply this to Steve Smith as well. You can tell the talent is there, it simply needs to be nurtured.

Wondered if Smith could bat at 3 for Australia? NSW watchers, has he played at 3 for the Blues or is he always a genuine middle order player?

Nasser Hussain mentioned during the last day's play that when Ian Bell first came into the side you could always see the talent, it simply had to be nurtured. I would apply this to Steve Smith as well. You can tell the talent is there, it simply needs to be nurtured.

Wondered if Smith could bat at 3 for Australia? NSW watchers, has he played at 3 for the Blues or is he always a genuine middle order player?

middle order player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never.

Hughes or further down the line Maddinson may become a number 3.

I like Maddinson, but at the minute he is symptomatic of the problem across all levels of cricket - he only has one speed - flat out. He's immensely talented as they all are but I'm unsure if he had to dig in for a session or two whether he has the patience and skill set to do so.

Never.

Hughes or further down the line Maddinson may become a number 3.

I'll throw in Handscomb as well, reminds me of a young Hodge. Minus the dickhead part. If Hodgey was 6/7 years younger he'd be dead useful right now

Seconded but they have to get rid of the gloves and just let him bat. Converting batsman to keepers is not on.

I think the gloves were originally given so they could fit him in the side. With Wade back for longer (probably) I think he'll be playing as a pure bat at 3 or 4 (depending if Stoinis plays and opens, pushing Hill to 3 or not leaving Hill to open).

It took Steve Waugh 23 Tests to get his average over 30. 60 matches until it was over 40.

Smith has talent, and has shown the necessary determination to improve and succeed. Those are rare attributes in young Australian batsmen at the moment. There's no batsmen in the Shield demanding selection, and even if there was I'd be replacing Watson or our first-drop-du-jour before I started gunning for Smith's head.

If by the end of the summer the rest of the top 6 are averaging 5-10 runs more than Smith, and there's guys in the Shield averaging 50 with the bat, then I'd say drop him. Until then, I'm more than happy to keep him in the side.

165515.2.jpg

Defence rests

Seconded but they have to get rid of the gloves and just let him bat. Converting batsman to keepers is not on.

I think the gloves were originally given so they could fit him in the side. With Wade back for longer (probably) I think he'll be playing as a pure bat at 3 or 4 (depending if Stoinis plays and opens, pushing Hill to 3 or not leaving Hill to open).

Hanscomb's a better keeper than Wade.

a lot of vics think handscomb has talent but he, like hill and finch haven't done it at FC level yet.
talent is there but scores aren't.
I don't think promotion without performance is warranted. One of things I've been railing against with some of the nsw selections over the years.

Back