Steve Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Will play 100 tests and average 48+

We've been crying out for some young batsman to man up and carry the team forward. This is the guy we've been waiting for - despite how hilariously inept he seemed when first selected.

Thought he was very average when he came on to the scene, rate him a lot more now, his improvement has been unbelievable. I still think he has a bit to offer with the ball without having an effect on his batting. Could take 100 odd wickets for sure.

Will play 100 tests and average 48+

We've been crying out for some young batsman to man up and carry the team forward. This is the guy we've been waiting for - despite how hilariously inept he seemed when first selected.

He was never inept - the morons in charge selected him and gave the impression he was selected as a bowling all rounder. Most people had no idea how strong his first class credentials were.

Was always likely to make it, he just needed time and support.

Personally I would be happy if he averaged around 42 with the bat for the rest of his career and wouldn't care if he didn't bowl another ball.

I think the days of having your entire top 6 average over or close to 50 for Australia are over, and I hope the public doesn't have too high expectations on him. 40 is a good average in my opinion.

40 isn't a good average for a batsman in a good test team.

RSA are the current #1. They have Smith, Amla, De Villiers and Du Plessis all with very healthy averages (Smith's has dropped recently) having just lost Jacques Kallis.

We have Clarke averaging 50+ and Warner the only other averaging more than 40. To be considered a permanent fixture Smith should be aiming to average 45-50 over an extended period. If he averages 50+ over a long career he'll be compared to Hussey, Hayden etc. rather than bit part players.

Potentially Dave Warner could be the next batsman to average 50 or above:

Currently averaging 43

He has had 8 scores of 50 or more in his last 8 tests, which is including the current test series against South Africa.

With 4 100's and 4 50's.

Amassing 523 runs at 58 in the Ashes in Australia and so far 398 runs at 79 in South Africa

Which is an amazing 921 runs at 68 in just two test series
warner will be out next top bat, but if he learnt to shut his mouth, so he stop's sounding like a knob, people may start to like him.

Smith , shares the same batting coach as Clarke, hence the look alike stance at the crease and shots. but like clarke, he is hopeless against the moving ball. will average mid 40s, thanks to the fat pitches now days but needs to work on his bowling

Everyone knows this kid is a gun, and is in some great form right now in the test arena. He seems a permanent fixture for Australia for the next decade and some are saying he is a future captain.

What do we expect from him career wise? Currently has a test average of 37.60 which has risen after his efforts this summer.

Personally I would be happy if he averaged around 42 with the bat for the rest of his career and wouldn't care if he didn't bowl another ball.

I think the days of having your entire top 6 average over or close to 50 for Australia are over, and I hope the public doesn't have too high expectations on him. 40 is a good average in my opinion.

Also who do you think will be the next Aussie batsman to average mid to high 50s in their career ?

Tough one will average in the mid 40's, but I see him struggling with the swinging ball a fair bit but that might change. Will be interesting to see how he goes when it swings a lot. Gun bat, and our next test captain.

In terms of who will average 50+, not sure. Possibly Warner, but the one that impresses me the most is Jake Doran. Jordan Silk will average in the 40's.

Reckon Smith belongs at 6 rather than much higher up the order. His bowling should be persisted with, and he's a pretty good fielder.

In all reality if he averages 40+ in test cricket he holds his place and will probably be our next captain.

Potentially Dave Warner could be the next batsman to average 50 or above:

Currently averaging 43

He has had 8 scores of 50 or more in his last 8 tests, which is including the current test series against South Africa.

With 4 100's and 4 50's.

Amassing 523 runs at 58 in the Ashes in Australia and so far 398 runs at 79 in South Africa

Which is an amazing 921 runs at 68 in just two test series

Warner and Smith will have trouble getting their averages above 45 because they don't seem to have the mindset yet to hit the big 150+, 200 scores. Clarke's average didn't hit 50 until he did this too. Still two very good bats, especially considering their ages

Thought he was very average when he came on to the scene, rate him a lot more now, his improvement has been unbelievable. I still think he has a bit to offer with the ball without having an effect on his batting. Could take 100 odd wickets for sure.

the way he has been willing to work on his technique has been amazing and shows he is going to be around for a long time. Unlike Hughes he has made genuine changes to his technique (the gap between bat and pad used to be massive). plus he is only 24.

If he works that hard on his bowling he'll end up being a genuine option. He spins the ball. Once you can do that, the rest is just down to hard work.

the way he has been willing to work on his technique has been amazing and shows he is going to be around for a long time. Unlike Hughes he has made genuine changes to his technique (the gap between bat and pad used to be massive). plus he is only 24.

If he works that hard on his bowling he'll end up being a genuine option. He spins the ball. Once you can do that, the rest is just down to hard work.

Hughes has made plenty of changes.

Warner and Smith will have trouble getting their averages above 45 because they don't seem to have the mindset yet to hit the big 150+, 200 scores. Clarke's average didn't hit 50 until he did this too. Still two very good bats, especially considering their ages
Warner right now is already over 45, score another 38 runs and it will remain there if he goes out tonight. Warner can definitely get it above 50, staying there for his whole career as an opener though is a different matter.

Smith is where Warner was 12 months ago, if he can have a couple of big series he can get it to mid 40s and 50 is not beyond him either.

Warner does have the mindset to score 150+ scores as shown by his 180 in 2012, he is yet to score anymore as of yet but what he has done is find consistency which is first step to piling on "big hundreds". Not many people would have believed warner would have become such a consistent batsman as he has been over the last two test series. Not to mention his average is now 46.

With Steve Smith not many people rated him at all, when he came back into the test side in india after playing 5 test matches earlier in his career. With a lot of people judging his strange technique. Since then he has tightened his technique up and matured quiet a bit as a batsman.

Playing 15 tests: Scoring 1,066 runs at 42

He is still only 24 years old and you only get better with age so i see no reason why he can't average 45+ and score those "big hundreds" as he gets older and matures further as a batsman.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon people have Smith pegged too low in the order. He'll bat four once Clarke goes, possibly even three. Reckon he's developing the technique and the temperament to do the job, he knows where his off stump is so he's become an excellent leaver and he handles pace and short pitched bowling well. He'll definitely be the long term number three in the ODI and T20 side in the next couple of years as well.

Are you English?

I reckon people have Smith pegged too low in the order. He'll bat four once Clarke goes, possibly even three. Reckon he's developing the technique and the temperament to do the job, he knows where his off stump is so he's become an excellent leaver and he handles pace and short pitched bowling well. He'll definitely be the long term number three in the ODI and T20 side in the next couple of years as well.
Not sure where you get the idea he is too low?
He is now at #5 and given Clarke is at #4 where do you think he should be in the current side?

He will likely go to #4 when Clarke retires, but that is a couple of years off and who knows who will come through by then. If you'd told me we'd have an opening pair of Warner-Rogers going well 2 years ago I would've laughed.

Not sure where you get the idea he is too low?
He is now at #5 and given Clarke is at #4 where do you think he should be in the current side?

He will likely go to #4 when Clarke retires, but that is a couple of years off and who knows who will come through by then. If you'd told me we'd have an opening pair of Warner-Rogers going well 2 years ago I would've laughed.

He was batting at 6 in the side when I made that post and it seemed that most people wanted him to stay there. I was suggesting that was too low to get best use out of him.

Reckon Smith belongs at 6 rather than much higher up the order. His bowling should be persisted with, and he's a pretty good fielder.

In all reality if he averages 40+ in test cricket he holds his place and will probably be our next captain.

He'll be averaging 50 in a few months and you want him at 6? :confused:

I think his century today showed he is our long term number 4, with Mitch Marsh at 6 if he gets over his injury concerns

He'll be averaging 50 in a few months and you want him at 6? :confused:

I think his century today showed he is our long term number 4, with Mitch Marsh at 6 if he gets over his injury concerns

Or you could not quote six month old posts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back